Etteilla Tarot III

Philistine

Apologies if I am obtuse on the matter, as I'm saving Etteilla decks for a future journey, but what about the Grimaud printing from the '70s? Grande Etteilla Egyptian Gypsies or something like that. Or is this not faithful to Etteilla, like a neither-fish-nor-fowl thing?

Are the dimensions, card stock, and coloring better or worse than the Dusserre or LoS (without black and white cards, of course)?

Currently on eBay there's an Argentina seller with this deck supposedly new at $70, which is cheaper than the usual price I see for it.

debitutchi

There are a few "Etteilla" decks out there. Dusserre editions are harder to find, and not always priced reasonably (although this may be my ultimate solution, just to purchase one from amazon.fr and pay international shipping). LoScarabeo card stock is familiar, as is the dimensions (standard for their tarot decks). I don't know if there is a difference between the Dusserre and the Lo Scarabeo…does anyone know? Card stock and size specifically? Some people like the coloration of the Lo Scarabeo better…

At this point, thank you, Philistine, for reminding me that the Dusserre is out there and is an option. Maybe I should just hunt one of these down. I just wish I knew if the card dimensions will be the same as Lo Scarabeo, or smaller like the Peruzzo...

Myrrha

Apologies if I am obtuse on the matter, as I'm saving Etteilla decks for a future journey, but what about the Grimaud printing from the '70s? Grande Etteilla Egyptian Gypsies or something like that. Or is this not faithful to Etteilla, like a neither-fish-nor-fowl thing?

Are the dimensions, card stock, and coloring better or worse than the Dusserre or LoS (without black and white cards, of course)?

Currently on eBay there's an Argentina seller with this deck supposedly new at $70, which is cheaper than the usual price I see for it.

Philistine, That one has different imagery. It is an interesting deck but IMHO the Book of Thoth type is a better reading deck. it will depend on which types of images intrigue and inspire you. I once bought two Marseille variant type decks from an eBay seller in Argentina and they were both pirate/cheaply made editions with murky printing on flimsy stock. I can't remember the name of the ebayer but just be careful that it is a "Grimaud" edition as in actually printed by Grimaud and not a reprint.

debitutchi

I found a Tarot Egyptien: Grand Jeu de Oracle des Dames Edition Dusserre (Etteilla III, like the LoS Book of Thoth) on Abe books, from France ($20). This will just have to do until Lo Scarabeo fixes the Book of Thoth. I have a feeling the cards may be shaped a little narrower than LoS, but about the same length…

If you have an older version of the Book of Thoth, hang on to it! You can't replace it currently! Or of course you could contact me if you are getting rid of it :-D

Apparently the sellers on Amazon.fr won't ship to the USA…but Abe books worked…so far...

AndreaScarabeo

Hi all,

this is Andrea from Lo Scarabeo :) yes, we reopened the office yesterday.

a) you're right, we had a printing problem with one of the latest reprints of the Etteila deck

b) we reprinted the 3 misprinted cards, so we have replacement cards ready. We are already inserting in decks we're shipping now the 3 correct cards.

c) if you purchased a deck with the printing mistake, please contact Lo Scarabeo (our customer service mail is info@loscarabeo.com but you can write directly to me at andrea@loscarabeo.com if you wish), give us your shipping address and we'll send you the replacement cards free of charge of course.

Sorry for what happened, you know when you print hundreds of thousands of decks every year a misprint is just around the corner, in spite of the several quality checks we have in place.

Nemia

That's wonderful! I sent you a mail :)

littlethings

I was just going to post that I heard from Andrea and sent pictures to her.

Thank you, Andrea! :)

debitutchi

Hooray!! Thanks Andrea!

Nemia

I had my replacement cards! Great customer service. I'm very happy. The black-and-white cards will be nice on my to-be-established tarot wall.

debitutchi

got my replacement cards, too! very kind customer service, indeed!