Danish Animals

mrpants

Hey folks! Does anyone have this in their collection?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Jean-Friderick-Mayers-Danske-Dyretarot-1978-Tarot-vintage-/321882437839

The print quality looks amazing, I'm thinking about picking it up. Is there any information online (or here, somewhere?) regarding the trumps, specifically? I've looked, but can't find anything. I guess all I'm looking for is a description of the animals, as I would add this deck to my collection in order to read with it. I don't read Danish however, so even if the lwb describes them, it would be of limited use to me. If you've seen anything, a link would be much appreciated.

Hoping,

Corey

gregory

I have it. And yes the print quality is great. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I could afford it - and if I didn't have it !

I have no LWB of any kind (or if I do I have stashed it somewhere odd.) I seem to have bought it from Frank Jensen, who included a small sheet about Mayer's background in English and in German. I'm sure you have read everythgin in wopc ?

The pips are TOTALLY basic (as you can see in the listing.)

Frank wrote an article about this and other animal decks years ago - attached (wait - not attached; it's too big. I will email it if you want...). Which points out that:
Mayer's animal tarok images came from the same tradition as several other animal tarock decks which were circulating in Germany and Belgium around the mid-18th century. As Mayer is assumed to be an immigrant card maker, he may have brought the woodblocks with him from abroad.

I have a Russian animal tarock from the same tradition, as well as two Cego decks, also with animal trumps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cego

IIRC the animals don't correspond AT ALL.

There's actually another copy up on ebay, in the US (save yourself postage!) which is identical to mine - no booklet and the Jensen sheet. But it was Jensen who produced this reproduction in 1978, so I OUGHT to have the book... I will search.

mrpants

Thanks g! Oddly enough, I wasn't aware of the wopc website; thanks for the reference! Re: the pips, yeah this is what has me on the fence actually. I do have one French suited deck and I hardly use it.

I saw a Canadian seller offering the same deck, no lwb- that's the one I was considering for purchase but yeah, I see the booklet is not included there. Probably no loss for me, it appears to be in Danish, from a pic in the listing I originally linked.

What I like about this tarock in particular is that the images are full length- not double ended. For me, this would make for a much nicer read. Have you had any good experiences with this deck?

gregory

If you include looking fondly at it - yes - it is a very nice experience - so thanks for having me get it out today ! But I haven't read with it - the pips are one step too far, I can JUST manage TdM but not playing cards.

If you want Frank's article, PM me your email.... If you get the one with the booklet instead (oh wait - no longer available) - scan it and I'll try work out a translation - I'd quite like that myself !

That Irish seller has some good stuff - do you have the Verkehrte Welt ?

mrpants

That would be nice, I'll send my email right over..

I'll keep looking; if I find an edition with the booklet, let's work out a translation!

I'm not familiar at all with the Verkehrte Welt, I'll do a search tonight. Off for work for now.

gregory

That would be nice, I'll send my email right over..

I'll keep looking; if I find an edition with the booklet, let's work out a translation!

I'm not familiar at all with the Verkehrte Welt, I'll do a search tonight. Off for work for now.
I'll link the ebay listing in my email :)