Using a playing deck...

celticnoodle

"playing cards are a great tool, underappreciated" as quoted by Joey, I agree! I'm not sure why more people don't connect with them! Miren, you have heard from a lot of us who enjoy reading with playing cards, so I hope soon we will see you on the forum adding your thoughts on reading this way!
Also, many welcomes to A.T.

namesoftrees

Oh thankyou Miren I've followed you here, I didn't realise these threads were here.
I did my first readings with a playing deck, because I wasn't at home and I didn't have my tarot deck with me....
Now I use them at work, where there happened to be a P.C. deck... also there's always been a wonderful history of people who just leave playing cards around the city. Not a whole pack... but just one card now and then.

many times I've been walking down the street and found a portentious little card on the footpath or wedged into a wall!

anyway now I've found this forum I can ask my question... actually I'll ask it out there...

Sheri

I have also read with playing cards and really like the Hedgewytchery method. It's quick, to the point, and you can customize the spreads as fits your needs. There is definitely a difference between playing cards and Tarot!

Good luck in your studies!

valeria

SunChariot

I did my first "unintentional" reading for myself with playing cards today. And I was pleasantly pleased with the results.

The short version is that I was worried about where my relationship with a friend of mine, as I have just realized I have fallen in love with him, is going. We do seem on the brink of something more.

I was worried about it and was about to go type an e-mail to a friend, when something, for some reason, drew my eye to the floor to the left of me. There,sitting on the floor, leaning on the coffee table was one single card. It must have fallen off and somehow something made me look at it at that time. It was the Three of Clubs. I took that as a sign from the universe, never being one to beleive in coincidences.:grin:

So I remembered reading post on AT about how you could read playing cards. I was online anyway, so I did a search under "reading playing cards" and I found on one site, for the Three of Clubs:

"good marriage or partnership, long engagement, and then a fast wedding"

AND on another site.

"Love and happiness; successful marriage; a favorable long-term proposition. A second chance, particularly in an economical sense"

That just made me day for more reasons than I can state here, and it does agree with a lot of things my regular Tarot readings have hinted at too.... us being soul mates has come up a number of times...

So my first try at reading playing cards was not done on purpose, but I was so happy with it. I am sure it is not my last try at it. :heart: :grin:

Bar

Little Baron

Hi Bar

Good on you! Glad to hear you gave them a go.

Just to add, in the Personal Prophesy method that PR and I are using, the '3 of Clubs' is 'creation'.

It alerts you to something that is taking shape which has very strong potential for becoming relality!!! It is something that is on it's way and it is basically giving you a glimpse of the future. So it looks positive, doesn't it, Bar?

I am reading the book by the author of 'Personal Prophesy' at the moment. It might be a system that you would find interesting. I know you do not asign fixed meanings to cards but here, once you have, she encourages you to intuit your own meanings within time - it seems, to almost meditate them and build them up so that you feel the card when you see it, rather than just thinking 'there is the '2 of Clubs' - that means 'so-and-so''.

But I am glad that you have taken a look into PC's, Bar. I would be really interested to see how you developed a system with them.

Here's the link, just incase you are interested
http://www.psychiclovedoctor.com/blog199e/index.php?categoryid=9

And good luck with the fella ;)

LB

euripides

Miren said:
So, for those who do it, do you simply align each suit with a tarot suit--i.e. Hearts = Cups, Diamonds = Pentacles, Clubs = Wands, and Spades = Swords? The first two seem to fit well, but the second two don't so much. I mean there's the whole connotation of the Spades which doesn't have a parallel in the Tarot deck suits.

espadas is spanish for swords... espadas, spades..... clubs=wands doesn't give me a problem either, given that your original club is a big branch... your wand is a smaller branch. No probs.

Its the hearts-cups correspondence that I always stumble over. Though I suppose cups are emotional , hearts = emotion....

Haven't gotten much into playing cards as yet. Maybe reading a little about the origins would help.

Euri

Phoenix Rising

Originally the spades was an "acorn" in a Egyptian museum, they have a playing card deck that is over a thousand years old. The Acorn was buried into earth, but then grew to become a "new life" again. Bit different to spades these days. I read a book by Richmond Olney, it was the first book written about playing cards in the late 1700's called the "Mystic Test book" According to him and "The order of the Magi" he believes the little book or test book, is the book they are talking about in "revelations" When I find that book again, I will write the prophecy.

LB: YOu enjoying Deborah's book?

Little Baron

Yes PR.

Taking it nice and slow so that I absorb all the info properly.

But I am enjoying it. Only started reading it yeterday.

LB

Lee

Phoenix Rising said:
I read a book by Richmond Olney, it was the first book written about playing cards in the late 1700's called the "Mystic Test book"
Hi PR, it's Olney Richmond, and the book was published in 1894.

-- Lee :)

Phoenix Rising

Lee said:
Hi PR, it's Olney Richmond, and the book was published in 1894.

-- Lee :)
Hi Lee,

Good to see you back again...yeah I always get his name back to front, and I just pulled the book out. 1893.

Here is that prophecy in revelations:
"And when the 7 thunders had uttered their voices, I was about to write; but I heard a voice from heaven, saying unto me, seal up those things, uttered by 7 thunders, and write them not"
"And I took the little book out of the Angels's hand and devoured it; and to my taste it was sweet as honey; but as soon as I had devoured it, it became bitter unto my inside."
"And he said unto me, you must phophesy again before many peoples and nations and tongues and kings"

According to Richmond and his mystic order.."the 7 thunders that is the 7 voices of the planets. the deck was small enough to fit in the palm of his hand. At last the utterances of the little book which was sealed for a time, are to be opened unto the gaze of men. At last it's wonders are to be unfolded partially that we may phophesy before many peoples.
No other book that ever had an existence upon our planet, has within itself the wonderful properties that are indubitably attached to this little book. No other book has been so sealed with hidden emblematic meanings as to defy all attempts to open its pages. It is the oldest book known and it existed long before the modern written languages were thought of".
Many nations have tried to claim the honour of inventing them. To Richmond and his brotherhood, the origins came from Atlantis.