Marseille 3-card combinations

Teheuti

elvenstar said:
this is a game, an intellectual challenge, a mock battle that they both enjoy. When it comes down to it they are both swords people of strong moral convictions who like a bit of tension and competition between them to keep things interesting, but always honour their commitment to each other.

Just curious - if this is such an enjoyable and honorable relationship, then what cards would show a bad relationship for the Queen of Swords?

prudence

Teheuti said:
Just curious - if this is such an enjoyable and honorable relationship, then what cards would show a bad relationship for the Queen of Swords?
Maybe it's like the relationship between Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?". Seriously tied to each other, but constantly back and forth with the verbal swordplay.

KariRoad

prudence said:
Maybe it's like the relationship between Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?". Seriously tied to each other, but constantly back and forth with the verbal swordplay.
I think you mean Martha and George. Or do you precisely mean Liz and Dick?
But really then, why not Honey and Nick? Sandy Dennis and George Segal.

Teheuti

prudence said:
Great analogy, Prudence, whether you are referring to the actors or their characters. I get what you are saying and, as a Queen of Swords myself, I've had some of those moments.

But, I still don't know what cards would show such a bad relationship for/with a Queen of Swords that as readers we might feel some real concern that this is a relationship gone terribly wrong, rather than a 'mock battle' involving intellectual challenge and verbal swordplay.

Bernice

Teheuti: But, I still don't know what cards would show such a bad relationship for/with a Queen of Swords that as readers we might feel some real concern that this is a relationship gone terribly wrong, rather than a 'mock battle' involving intellectual challenge and verbal swordplay.
What if these same cards were re-arranged? Would a different combination give 'bad relationship' rather than toy-fights?

Bee :)

Moonbow

From various playing card meanings that I've found:

* Spades (Swords) relate to misfortune, penury, care sorrows, death, and with the Queen of the same suit (plus the Devil) this seems to point to trouble.

* Queens reflect the the same characteristics as their suit but in their genre, relative to the circumstances, so this Queen could be seen as devious, lonely, manipulative and selfish

* Tens depict endings, and especially Ten of Spades which shows a troubled ending.

None of this bodes well with the Devil!

Looks like this is a relationship heading for disaster or has finished on horrible terms, and visually I see exactly the same consequences with the relationship ending after much deceit and lies.

~

I've found a few interesting threads which give some more card meanings, so I'll add them to the index. I particularly love De Gebelin's but they are incomplete:

ihcoyc's system

Where do tarot meanings come from (for the minors)

de Gébelin's 'Le Monde Primitif' (with thanks to Teheuti)

Villa Revak

Bernice

alec said:
How about these three? The subject is a romantic relationship.

Noblet-tarot-swords-queen-320.jpg
Noblet-tarot-15-320.jpg
Noblet-tarot-swords-10-320.jpg

Oh dear Herzog, seems this is a most un-romantic relationship. Interesting that playing card meanings are similar. The swords/spades just arn't loved :(

inanna_tarot

Card 1 - person 1 Queen of Swords.
She has her back to the Devil, not wanting to admit her deepest awareness that the relationship is troublesome, that it ties her to things she does not want.
Its as though she can't quite let go to the idea of it, perhaps it seemed a good match on paper and so her theory was that it would all work out.

Card 3 - person 2 - 10 of swords
10 reflect end of cycles, about manifestation and completion. For this person then, the relationship has also run its course but not in a positive way. Its as though all the doubts and worries have become manifest in the relationship.
Looking at the swords and how the 2 last swords seem stuck in the other 8... He feels that both of them are tied together..
Swords relate to legal matters, so perhaps they are tied via marriage?

Both of them are swords, so they know they want to cut the ties that bind in the Le Diable, card 2, the interaction. They are stuck in a loveless relationship, stuck together due to legal issues, perhaps marriage or mortages etc, and so neither of them think its worth splitting. However, it seems full all that venomous communication, of that repressed energy that is like a volcano in Le Diable.
Perhaps even though the relationship is sour and ended, they both enjoy the carnal side of the relationship? Or perhaps the reason it is all gone so sour is that one of them betrayed the other with an affair.
I am thinking it was probably Partner 2 10 of swords - as that can be linked in with betrayal.
That may also explain why the Queen cant stand to look at the situation and see feels betrayed and would like to stab partner 2, but cant, as Queens are still emotional parts of the Honour cards and so still loves partner 2?

Just my thoughts.

alec

Teheuti, What would you think if the Ace of Swords was in the center? Or the 3 or 5 of Swords?

Alec

Bee - Did you mean Alec? I don't think Herzog has weighed in yet on this one :)

Bernice

Alec:Bee - Did you mean Alec? I don't think Herzog has weighed in yet on this one.
My apologies! Of course I do mean you = alec.

.....where is Herzog for this combo?