Would you ever work as a professional reader?

happyfish

Have you? If so, what are your experiences?

Edit: And what would make one be considered a "professional" anyway?

Hi wolfheart,

I must admit I have not read all six pages of responses (I did read two pages, though!). You've been given a lot of perspectives already but I figured I'd throw mine into the mix. :)

I have been a "professional" reader for about ten months. You asked what would make one be considered a 'professional'...well, as the variety of answers you've received shows, there's not one answer to that question. My answer is that you get to define for yourself what being a professional means. To me, it simply means there is an energy exchange (in the form of money) for my readings, and I have a code of ethics that I adhere to.

A few people mentioned that they wouldn't want to be professionals because they do not make predictions and they think the general public has that pre-conceived notion of tarot. I also do not make predictions, I focus on using tarot for advice, guidance and helping clients with their self-reflection. Most of my clients find me through my blog or social media, so they have an idea of my style before they purchase a reading with me. Therefore, I don't get a lot of people expecting a 'fortune teller.' I think these days there are more and more people who see tarot as another tool for self-reflection, which is lovely.

Anyway...just some random thoughts. Good luck to you. :)

Ace

I think these days there are more and more people who see tarot as another tool for self-reflection, which is lovely.

Anyway...just some random thoughts. Good luck to you. :)

It is a great use for tarot. The woman who taught me does that.

barb

La Hierbera

My goal is to become a paid, professional tarot reader, with all proceeds going towards caring for homeless, feral and rescue cats. This is actually what called me to tarot initially.

I don’t see myself trying to earn an income for myself through readings, though. I’ll be investing enough energy towards the non-profit aspect that I’ll want the rest of my time for my practice of herbalism, traditional healing and teaching. While I see the potential of tarot as a great complement to my work, and envision occasionally offering it to clients as needed or upon request, I would rather it not be the main focus of my work. The plants claimed that place in my life over 25 years ago and are not about to loosen their grip anytime soon ;)

Michael Sternbach

My goal is to become a paid, professional tarot reader, with all proceeds going towards caring for homeless, feral and rescue cats. This is actually what called me to tarot initially.

I don’t see myself trying to earn an income for myself through readings, though. I’ll be investing enough energy towards the non-profit aspect that I’ll want the rest of my time for my practice of herbalism, traditional healing and teaching. While I see the potential of tarot as a great complement to my work, and envision occasionally offering it to clients as needed or upon request, I would rather it not be the main focus of my work. The plants claimed that place in my life over 25 years ago and are not about to loosen their grip anytime soon ;)

That might work well for you! Personally, I employ Bach Flower Therapy, Homoeopathy, Spagyrics, Astrology, psychic readings and healing, and, of course, Tarot in any combination that suits the client. I strongly believe in having various tools at my disposal in order to match the case at hand.

Lorelie

I used to read professionally and had a very successful business (which attracted fellow readers) but I burnt myself out doing it... it got the point where I had no energy left at all to get up go out of the house (it wasn't depression because I have had that also) it was complete psychic burnout... which became mental and physical too... so am saying if you really care about the Tarot and People, its a heavy burden.....

Buckh

Buckh I am put off doing paid for readings as well because I am not sure I could cope with it in my situation and health / mental health. Research it really carefully but maybe start off slowly and build up! there is site reading networks where you can log in when you want and do some paid readings, I think it's not great money but helps you start off. or set up your own site/ email and go as slowly as you like. I think you can go slowly at the start because people have to find you. You could definitely try it at your own speed! Maybe have max limits of readings per week on what you can cope with and then either have a queue system or close to new readings if it gets too busy.

My only concern would be finding a reputable site to do readings from.

I did try a blog at a point and would reconsider that, but had trouble deciding on what to write about...

LaLaToro

It's a dream of mine. In a perfect world, I would be proficient and clients would be reasonable. But I understand what always happens when something you love becomes your job. Nevertheless, I think I could find satisfaction it it. For me, it all boil down to what Ravenest so accurately and laughably pointed out, "don't put gravy on my tarot readings." They wouldn't be sacred anymore. They wouldn't be mine anymore. Subject to gravy.

Barleywine

Do not put gravy on my tarot readings ! :)

G'day, raven, nice to see you here (pardon, my Canadian is showing). I wasn't sure you were still participating (but then I've been mostly lurking lately).

Anyway, to topic. The above seems to be the irreducible nugget of truth in your well-reasoned, well-seasoned (well-sauced?) rant. To what extent do we "dress up" our readings to make them more "professionally" presentable? One might feel tempted to do so in a particularly trying moment when the cards are being unusually unsympathetic to the querent. To me, this is where we really earn whatever sum we feel comfortable asking. I've always seen this as the most compelling challenge to reading for others, professionally or otherwise. We would be dishonest trying to feed them straight "vanilla," while at the same time we don't want to bludgeon them with negativity. It's where the judicious application of just the right language becomes crucial to success (as measured by that "aha!" moment when a querent truly sees through to the underlying message).

Many (a gross understatement) moons ago, I read "professionally" (the full satirical import of those quotation marks is absolutely intentional) for a short period of time and for a small sum. It was mostly for friends of friends who insisted on paying (now if I could only get them to pick up the pub tab . . .) For a long time after that, I - like you - immersed myself in the esoteric and spiritual side of tarot. At this point in time, with my long-range financial future in a stable condition, I might do so again - read professionally, that is, in a small way - as long as I could do it face-to-face.

Lenormand has been a game-changer for me in this regard, since it's certainly a mare of a dissimilar hue (I detest cliches, don't you?) No great esoteric truths show their lofty faces demanding to be unraveled (at least most of the time), just practical, straight-forward advice for handling day-to-day situations. I see it as the key to any professional adventure that awaits me when I eventually move out of the boonies to a more populous area.

tarotbear

To what extent do we "dress up" our readings to make them more "professionally" presentable?

If you went to a Reader, paid their fee, and shuffled - and they flipped out 3 cards and said 'Your reading says that A, B, & C - NEXT!' and the reading was over in 22 seconds - you'd feel short-changed; you can get a flat reading like that instantly for free in 100s of places on the Internet.

An 'Hour of Pomp & Show' never hurt anything ... although some Readers put more into the 'pomp & show' than they do into the reading they are giving. As a professional reader I'd prefer a little less pomp and a little more showing that you know your craft.

Barleywine

If you went to a Reader, paid their fee, and shuffled - and they flipped out 3 cards and said 'Your reading says that A, B, & C - NEXT!' and the reading was over in 22 seconds - you'd feel short-changed; you can get a flat reading like that instantly for free in 100s of places on the Internet.

An 'Hour of Pomp & Show' never hurt anything ... although some Readers put more into the 'pomp & show' than they do into the reading they are giving. As a professional reader I'd prefer a little less pomp and a little more showing that you know your craft.

Point taken, the presentation is certainly a vital part of the experience. A few subtle "props" aren't entirely foreign to me. Just as long as the hocus-pocus doesn't hijack the modus operandi. I'd have serious reservations if I walked into a storefront and encountered a turban and a sequined robe. Besides, I wouldn't settle for A,B,C. I'd be full of questions like "What about A+B-C?" Or "A-B+C?" The reader would not get off THAT easily!