Swedish Witch / Jolanda Tarot - The Fool

rylla

Great observations and info; not too much left to be said.

For me the card emanate confidence and carefree attitude (maybe the kind that comes only with innocence or unawareness), even the Fool's baggage is made of a musical instrument (a mandolin?) so he is carrying only positive thoughts with him and his jester's cap also looks like an emperor's crown = he feels on top of the world.
To me the tiger looks astonished that the Fool doesn't care or isn't afraid of him; the crocodile has a look: I'll catch you if I can.
Oh, boy. This card is so full of symbolism!!!

I googled the Grasshopper, according to Claire de Lune:

"Symbology:The grasshopper is associated with astral travel. They have the ability to leap through time and into space where the true mysteries of life exist. People with this medicine have the wisdom necessary to overcome obstacles efficiently and are able to jump into successful ventures without preparation or planning. When the grasshopper appears to us we are being asked to take a leap of faith and jump forward into a specific area of life without fear. Usually that specific area is one that we have avoided and is often connected to change on a larger scale. This can represent a change in location, relationships, career or just in the way we perceive ourselves.

Grasshoppers can only jump forward....not backward, or sideways. So, when grasshopper shows up he could be reaffirming to you that you are taking the right steps to move forward in your current situation. Or it could be that he is telling you to go ahead and move forward, getting past what is hindering you. This is why grasshopper is the symbol of good luck all over the world. Grasshopper's ability to connect and understand sound vibrations is why he is also a symbol of your inner voice. he could be telling you to trust yours."

So even the grasshopper fits so well with the meaning of this card.

ETA I was wrong re. my impression about the tiger, he must be the protector here. Your comments Rold lead me in this direction and I googled the tiger, it says:
"Tiger, as an ancient Chinese animal symbol is an emblem of dignity, ferocity, sternness, courage, and by itself is Yin energy. Also a symbol of protection, the image of a tiger is often seen on clothing or in the home to ward off harm any semblance of harm and assure safekeeping."

rylla

Arnold (the artist) and Rosie Bjørkman aka Jolanda must have known their staff. For a while I thought that there were so many animals and symbols in these cards that maybe they were added just for artistical purpose (to make the cards look more attractive). I had Rosie's book in Swedish, tried to translate it by google (I've got a very poor translation). I did it especially to see the explication of symbologies used and the description of the cards: the descriptions given by her aren't really about the cards themselves, just a general ones. So the book did not help me. But I realize now that the symbols/images used to make up these cards were very carefully chosen. WOW.

Luna's Crone

that is why i wanted to study this deck you can feel all this living stuff in there. I didn't know there was a book. I have to look for it.

i couldn't find the book. a 144 lwb comes with jolanda in english german and i think spanish.

rylla

that is why i wanted to study this deck you can feel all this living stuff in there. I didn't know there was a book. I have to look for it.

i couldn't find the book. a 144 lwb comes with jolanda in english german and i think spanish.

There is no English version of the book (unfortunately).

ETA 144 pages sounds good. However it contain just brief descriptions. For exp. about the Fool:
"Folly, mania, extravagance, delirium, frenzy, insecurity, frivolity, passion, enthusiasm." Not really helpful to get these specific Jolanda cards.

velvetina

The inclusion of the tiger and the crocodile, seemed to me to be drawn from the Thoth deck..I'm afraid I don't know how to link to an image. In Crowley's interpretation, the tiger represents fear and the crocodile is symbolising creative idea and energy.

In Jolanda's deck, everyone seems to be getting along together - the Fool has befriended the Tiger (conquered his fear?) and of course I can't help but think of Calvin & Hobbes!

I love the idea of the magpie being sacred to Hel! She's a favourite goddess of mine.

My personal symbolism for piebald creatures is that they are liminal beings; neither black, nor white - and symbolise moral relativism.

Luna's Crone

I its a safe bet, that a lot of thoth will be in this deck. That helps to make easier. But like i said before, its all in the card the moment you pull it.

by the end of the week. will look at all our comments to come up with an adequate description for the fool/Narren. don't forget your inputs on the fool. we will make our lwb of the deck based on the study groups observations.

rylla

Reptiles Throughout Mythology by Norman A. Rubin:

" the crocodile , considered to be one of the most base, malignant, treacherous and evil-hearted vertebrates.
The crocodile was, to the people on the ancient Near East, a familiar character in many of their common texts. In Egypt the reptile was equated with the crocodile-headed "Sebek" who symbolized viscous passions, deceit, treachery and hypocrisy.
...In various districts in the Land of Egypt the crocodile was venerated as a symbol of sunrise and the rising waters of the Nile.
...The first Christians called the crocodile "the devourer" and believed that being swallowed by a crocodile was a sure guarantee of a quick descent into hell."

Was wondering which animal is the protector and which one represents danger. I see the tiger now with a look on his face like he'd say: What are you doing?! Where are you going?! Be careful!" and the crocodile being the one representing danger.

The crocodile can also mean: hidden strength and power.

Any other inputs? How do you see these 2 animals? What about that yellow something in the middle of the card at the feet of the Fool. What's that? Can be an alusion to the Sun?

rylla

by the end of the week. will look at all our comments to come up with an adequate description for the fool/Narren. don't forget your inputs on the fool. we will make our lwb of the deck based on the study groups observations.

WOW Luna's Crone, that's an EXCELLENT idea! (synthesising our comments in a comprehensible LWB!)

Luna's Crone

WOW Luna's Crone, that's an EXCELLENT idea! (synthesising our comments in a comprehensible LWB!)

Thanx rylla. i like the deck and a bet more would too if there was a more comprehensive white book.

I was thinking devisions for each card keywords, personality, purpose and divide keywords into good bad and the ugly (being if all three attacked him, the grasshopper, tiger and croc. and the butterfly turned into a viscious vampire bat.) Oh of course, the magpie laid her eggs in the other birds nest while she was watching the fight.

Luna's Crone

i definitely want to do a bit more research on the foul, from the odder decks to see if any of them match up with this fool.