Swedish Witch / Jolanda Tarot - The Fool

Sztar

To me, the fool/jester playing a flute is reminiscent of the pied piper, except in this instance, instead of rounding up mice or children, he's attracting the attention of the forces of nature--some benign and some less so. His joyful/naive song so stuns the animals that even the tiger is temporarily unable to attack and sits bemused in the bushes. The egg hovering above the alligator represents new life and the butterfly represents rebirth. The fool is a naive young seeker embarking upon his adventure without a full appreciation of his own power--or lack thereof. His innocence and enthusiasm will open the way for a time, but the danger is there lurking in the shadows regardless of whether or not it's acknowledged. Will the fool wise up before the spell wears off?

rylla

Ah! :lightbulb Would that yellow thing be an egg?! Possible. Wondering if eggs with bluish core actually exists :)

ETA It does (google):
"Only three breeds of chickens lay blue eggs, Cream Legbars, Araucanas and Ameraucanas. The blue color is created by oocyanin, which is produced in the bile and applied early in the laying process."
I guess it's rare.

Sztar

Ah! :lightbulb Would that yellow thing be an egg?! Possible. Wondering if eggs with bluish core actually exists :)

ETA It does (google):
"Only three breeds of chickens lay blue eggs, Cream Legbars, Araucanas and Ameraucanas. The blue color is created by oocyanin, which is produced in the bile and applied early in the laying process."
I guess it's rare.

Yes, look at the Thoth card. The background is yellow with a blue egg shaped ring. I like to look at the Thoth cards and descriptions when figuring out the Jolanda deck, as it's a heavily Thoth-influenced deck. In the Thoth-based deck, the Fool is almost bursting out of the egg. Also, some of the descriptions I read pointed out that even the zero itself is an egg-shaped number. Interesting for sure!

Rold

Rold what do you think about blending of traditions in the new cards???
I don't mind blending tradtions it often gives a new perspective,and Yolanda certainly have no problems with that she is strongly influenced by the traditions of North American tribes and she is trained in the sweetmedicin tradition.
In her book she compares the european Fool with the indian Heyokan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heyoka

Luna's Crone

I looked at a couple thoth type decks i have and two of them have crocs and tigers with the fool. so now i am gonna be obsessed with looking at fool cards. sheese.

rylla

Partial translation of the book by google (major arcana), not edited (unfortunately the card 0 Fool isn't among them - just to give you a feel of the book - IF you can make any sense of the translation).

Attachments

• Jolanda2.docx
    41.3 KB · Views: 354

Luna's Crone

for those of you interested in writing a lwb, we should maybe start with key words. is there a grasshopper in the thoth deck. i looked at i think rosetta and i forget the other that had the croc and tiger but no grassshopper.

rylla

What format do you think we should use?
Just an example, draft, unedited, to work out a final version:

Keywords
(these would be basically the classical ones, wouldn't they? - same with other LWBs - I don't see the meaning of this card to be changed in essence by Jolanda and Arnold)

(Brief) Description

I see a happy person walking along playing a flute and looks not to have a care in the world. Being the Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey fan he is, he is dressed in yellow and black. He has on jesters hat and shoes with bells. Over his shoulder, he is carrying a bowled mandolin. Behind him is a butterfly, and a giant grasshopper, beside him a crocodile with a yellow round thing between them and another obvious fan of the Pens, a tiger. In front of him tree branches with lovely pink flowers and to lovely birds chirping at him. (quote from Luna's Crone)

Symbology
(I am thinking of something short, like)

the tiger, emblem of dignity, ferocity, sternness, courage and protection (chinese believe) is there to warn and protect him

the crocodile, symbol of viscous passions, deceit, treachery and hypocrisy in Egypt represent danger

the egg hovering above the alligator represents new life

the butterfly represents rebirth

the grasshopper encourage him to take a leap of faith...so on

Should we include a brief meaning of the card?:

The fool is a naive young seeker embarking upon his adventure without a full appreciation of his own power--or lack thereof. His innocence and enthusiasm will open the way for a time, but the danger is there lurking in the shadows regardless of whether or not it's acknowledged. Will the fool wise up before the spell wears off? (quote from Sztar)
(ETA or should we leave the last part out for everybody's own interpretation?)

Luna's Crone

What format do you think we should use?
Just an example, draft, unedited, to work out a final version:

Keywords
(these would be basically the classical ones, wouldn't they? - same with other LWBs - I don't see the meaning of this card to be changed in essence by Jolanda and Arnold)

(Brief) Description

I see a happy person walking along playing a flute and looks not to have a care in the world. Being the Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey fan he is, he is dressed in yellow and black. He has on jesters hat and shoes with bells. Over his shoulder, he is carrying a bowled mandolin. Behind him is a butterfly, and a giant grasshopper, beside him a crocodile with a yellow round thing between them and another obvious fan of the Pens, a tiger. In front of him tree branches with lovely pink flowers and to lovely birds chirping at him. (quote from Luna's Crone)

Symbology
(I am thinking of something short, like)

the tiger, emblem of dignity, ferocity, sternness, courage and protection (chinese believe) is there to warn and protect him

the crocodile, symbol of viscous passions, deceit, treachery and hypocrisy in Egypt represent danger

the egg hovering above the alligator represents new life

the butterfly represents rebirth

the grasshopper encourage him to take a leap of faith...so on

Should we include a brief meaning of the card?:

The fool is a naive young seeker embarking upon his adventure without a full appreciation of his own power--or lack thereof. His innocence and enthusiasm will open the way for a time, but the danger is there lurking in the shadows regardless of whether or not it's acknowledged. Will the fool wise up before the spell wears off? (quote from Sztar)
(ETA or should we leave the last part out for everybody's own interpretation?)

yeah stuff that we wouldn't know that is in the card. like the RWS is known by most people. so the stuff that we probably would not know. and then a brief description of the card. got to run to the dentist. forgot i had an appointment

Luna's Crone

The inclusion of the tiger and the crocodile, seemed to me to be drawn from the Thoth deck..I'm afraid I don't know how to link to an image. In Crowley's interpretation, the tiger represents fear and the crocodile is symbolising creative idea and energy.

In Jolanda's deck, everyone seems to be getting along together - the Fool has befriended the Tiger (conquered his fear?) and of course I can't help but think of Calvin & Hobbes!

I love the idea of the magpie being sacred to Hel! She's a favourite goddess of mine.

My personal symbolism for piebald creatures is that they are liminal beings; neither black, nor white - and symbolise moral relativism.

I wonder in this case, if the magpie represents Hel, isn't she a northern goddess???