Morgan Greer study group - Page of Cups

gorgeousbutterfly

I don't know why but this page of cups really is hard to pin down. she looks more unaware then the rider waite page of cups. its looks like she has a cup in front of her and a fish is jumping up out of the cup and she is unaware of it, this shows subconsious knowledge even when alot of things are occuring? the light blue hat signifing subconsious and the red wreath significing action. but the fact she is not holding nor looking at the cup shows unawareness of the actions around her. so she is extra dreamy,intuitive and psychic. the page of cups in the rider waite looks more like a charming, sweet youth who is offering a cup which to me meant more offering of some kind.

any thoughts?

gorgeousbutterfly

someone? come on there is no take on the court cards with morgan greer and that is boring!

brenmck

I see the very same things you do, GB, and I've pulled up the rest of the Cups court just to affirm my suspicions that the Queen is the only one of them who doesn't look like she's likely to miss the entire boat.

Dressed in that violet finery, with a face that could launch a thousand boats (to keep the metaphor) but her head dress just a shade darker than the wild blue yonder, she's more there than here. Dreamy and self-absorbed, accepting the roses but missing what's right in front of her while wishing for what's right in front of her. To me the fish in the cup is just phallic enough to take him out of the role of the "fish of imagination" and put him in the rank of ignored suitor. How such a simple figure can show such worshipful puzzlement, amazing!

This is the woman of my college days, not to be invited to beer busts, but to madrigal dinners and The Marriage of Figaro; back when sorority women in Big Ten universities were not allowed to wear slacks to classes - forget jeans and T-shirts, they didn't even own that sort of thing.
Two Arabians boarded in a stable for weekend morning rides. Very likely an affair with a married professor who was in no position to make permanent demands. An attraction to a promising but hippie-at-heart type in nearly the same artistic realm as her but who intends to actually make a living at what he's studying - a charming but too dangerous of a notion.

So this is the romantic bubble that sorely needs the dull cast of reality but is being avoided by escaping to that warm, thick fog. This Page needs a few Swords in her life, eh?

~B~

gorgeousbutterfly

"I've pulled up the rest of the Cups court just to affirm my suspicions that the Queen is the only one of them who doesn't look like she's likely to miss the entire boat."

-a little off topic (since we are on the page of cups) that is a intresting observation. why then would the queen of all of them seem less dreamy since queens are water and cups being water, she is water on water so shouldn't she be totally out there? in the morgan greer she looks the most grounded of all them. why is that? i think to my knowledge of courts the king would be the most aware and active?

Anyway back to the Page of Cups :)....

Yeah the light blue hat sympolizies she is not here in the real world,instead preoccupied with the subconsious,creativity , dreams, supernatural etc. although the pages are earth, she is earth on water, i don't think morgan greer depicits this like how i initially learned, like the thoth and rider waite etc which i interpeted on acting on your dreams but staying grounded on earth. in the morgan greer,she doesn't look like she is going to act on her dreams, more like she lives life for the sake of dreams and misses out the opportunity. funny though everytime i get a court card i get a diffeent view probaly because my intution is tellling me something. and maybe its her immaturity and lack of experience, not feeling secure yet in the real world that is makign her miss that opportunity, which is depicted in her not being aware of the the fish?although she has flowers in her hand it shows she is just beginning and that there is potential? many ways of viewing this card!!

i really enjoyed your description :)

brenmck

Queens - staying off-subject!

gorgeousbutterfly said:
.... in the morgan greer she looks the most grounded of all them. why is that? i think to my knowledge of courts the king would be the most aware and active?

Technically I guess you're right about the Kings, but for me the Queens in the Morgan Greer and other decks I've studied always look like the instigators, the ones who want to get the Kingdom moving (not necessarily Lady MacBeth types, but you know what I mean). The Kings are rather self-satisfied, the epitomy of their element, and just sit there and reign away ("It's good to be the King!") Maybe this is my anima speaking louder to me at this time - I feel that I'd rather be answering to or cooperating with the goddess figure. Very difficult to get the King's ear.

So now I'll look for the study group for Morgan Greer Queens! :cool4:

~B~

truenorth

Morgan-Greer -- Page of Cups

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone who has a Morgan-Greer deck to hand with an earlier publication date could help me (even better if you have access to an older and later edition of this deck).

My question is about the lovely Page of Cups card. I have only recently bought this deck (as a change from the RWS that I love so much), and I bought the most recently published edition of this deck. I noticed that the eyes of the Page of Cups stare towards you/through you, whereas images of this card I am seeing on the internet show the eyes of the Page of Cups staring off to the right (from the character's POV) . . . and I am sure the old deck that my psychic uses show the eyes of this card doing the same. I was just wondering if I am imagining things, or whether there has been a slight change with the direction of the eyes of this card.

Apologies if somebody else has already asked this question on these forums.

~ Natalie

Sulis

Hi Natalie,

Welcome to Tarot Study Groups :).

I've just dug out my Morgan Greer decks (I have a Morgan Press and an old US Games copy). The Page of Cups is indeed looking slightly to her right in both decks.

JennyNY39

Hi Natalie,

I have a new Morgan Greer just bought this past September. Two actually, and several vintage copies. All of the eyes are exactly the same, looking off to the right a bit. Perhaps you have a misprint :)

Jenny

minrice

Huh, very strange truenorth! I too have only ever seen the Page looking to the right. You say this is a recent edition? What printing? Can you post a scan? Lol, obsessive MGers must know...

Pipistrelle

Interestingly, I have just looked at the pocket MG and the Page of Cups' eyes look straight out in that too. So presumably it was based on a more recent printing?

I wonder why the eyes were changed though? It seems an odd thing to change. Unless, the right-facing eyes were wrong in the first place, i.e. a result of inaccurate printing maybe?