1889 Wirth facsimilie

Teheuti

Here's a couple of teaser sentences from my long intro:

"A Swiss, an Italian, a Spaniard and a Dutch-Frenchman walked into a bar . . . It sounds like the beginning of a joke, but in the artistic and metaphysical melting pot of fin de siècle Paris this was a formula for a creative and volatile, indeed, alchemical mixture as profound in the esoteric world as the symbolist and expressionist movements were in the art and literary world. In 1888, the same year as the birth of England’s Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, Oswald Wirth joined Stanislas de Guaita, Papus, and Joséphin Péladan in founding the Ordre Kabbalistique de la Rose-Croix (“Kabbalistic Order of the Rosy Cross”)."

"Wirth tells us in his preface that he tragically lost the first manuscript of his Tarot opus, but was then given the opportunity for 'uninterrupted meditation . . . stimulated by a Gothic background' at a location 'with one of the finest landscapes in France.' It was there that he was able to complete his second version. It was precisely for the unmatched beauty of the landscape that American heiress, Mary Wallace Shillito, built Le Château des Avenières on a hill top in the south of France. . . . [info about how Shillito and her husband, Assan Dina, knew Wirth].
Built in the Gothic style, the Château (now a five-star hotel known for its breathtaking views) contains an even more Gothic chapel, completed in 1917. The walls are covered with enamel and gold mosaics depicting all the images of the Tarot Major Arcana. It is likely that Wirth retreated here to write his book."

"The English title of this book, Tarot of the Magicians, is found in Chapter Seven’s cosmogonic outline: “The god of Tarot is the Magician, the father of all things, the eternal generator” who, as Wirth explains, symbolizes creative activity and will, the idea before conception. This idea directly addresses the magic of transcendence that for Lévi and Wirth was accessed through the Astral Light, a sort of etheric electromagnetism (aether, odic fluid, vril, orgone, prana, Qi and Star Wars’ The Force) that operates uniquely on each plane of consciousness."

"Despite his many-layered approach, Wirth never loses sight of the practicalities of mundane divination. When he first published his deck in 1889 Wirth tells us he was prejudiced against divination. However, many friends asked him for readings, which he could not deny them, and they reported back on the incredible accuracy of what was revealed. After much experience he concluded that, "To divine is to imagine rightly," and that we must educate and discipline the imagination to make divination into a sacred art."

Le Fanu

This is going to be fascinating, thank you for that...

garmonbozia

Great News!

I just ordered a used copy of this book from the UK about a month ago and it still hasn't arrived. Probably been lost in the mail.

I may wait for this release instead of attempting to order another one.

Metafizzypop

"Despite his many-layered approach, Wirth never loses sight of the practicalities of mundane divination. When he first published his deck in 1889 Wirth tells us he was prejudiced against divination. However, many friends asked him for readings, which he could not deny them, and they reported back on the incredible accuracy of what was revealed. After much experience he concluded that, "To divine is to imagine rightly," and that we must educate and discipline the imagination to make divination into a sacred art."

Well I'm glad Wirth changed his mind. But this begs the question: If Wirth was prejudiced against divination when he first published the deck, then what DID he feel tarot was to be used for? I was thinking that it might have something to do with exploring the subconscious, or some other psychology/therapy-related pursuit. Except that 1889 seems a little early for that approach. And I don't think that Wirth was using his deck for card games, either. Is this explained in the book? I mean, does the book talk about what Wirth felt the tarot's use was supposed to be (before he realized it makes a great divination tool)?

Cerulean

Chapter XVI in Tarot of the Bohemians online at Sacredtexts.com

shows some of the astrological and constellations and significant points that Oswald Wirth had about the major arcana. This seemed to be dazzling and important to Oswald Wirth, almost as if the symbolism of the 22 majors had magical properties...tarot of the magicians

Well I'm glad Wirth changed his mind. But this begs the question: If Wirth was prejudiced against divination when he first published the deck, then what DID he feel tarot was to be used for? I was thinking that it might have something to do with exploring the subconscious, or some other psychology/therapy-related pursuit. Except that 1889 seems a little early for that approach. And I don't think that Wirth was using his deck for card games, either. Is this explained in the book? I mean, does the book talk about what Wirth felt the tarot's use was supposed to be (before he realized it makes a great divination tool)?

Teheuti

does the book talk about what Wirth felt the tarot's use was supposed to be (before he realized it makes a great divination tool)?
Definitely. He views the tarot from several different perspectives, the core of which is based on the esoteric philosophy of the great French magician Lévi. Essentially it [Tarot] was a flexible book illustrating the dynamic relationships among the principles behind Western Esotericism - including alchemy, French freemasonry, Hermeticism and more.

Metafizzypop

Teheuti & Cerulean, thanks for your replies. This book is starting to sound like a real experience! A really good one, though.

Le Fanu

Just out of curiosity; does anyone know if this book also contains the cards?

It says on the cover, "contains the Major Arcana cards". I just wondered if anyone had this book and whether they were cut-out cards or of decent quality?

Freddie

Some do and some don't. This deck is the 22 Major Arcana and they are same as the AGMuller deck with more reddish backgrounds and a tad bit larger.

I have found a pre Us Games/AGMuller Tchou full 78 pack, but the deck that sometimes comes with that book is only the 22.

Freddie