'essential' historical decks in reproduction?

euripides

I'm toying with the idea of doing my Masters degree in Fine Arts, incorporating Tarot into it - studying the symbolism and designing a deck. Or maybe I'll just do it without going back to Uni (and fees!)

So while I'm thinking about it, where should I start with historical tarot? On my budget 'original' decks are totally out of the question. I've got quite a good book on tarot that looks at the history of Tarot and the history of the Majors which is pretty good, and I'll probably track down some more history books. But I'd like to get some decks.

What in-print decks do you think I should get to get a fair overview of tarot development? I have the RWS of course. so far I figure

from the Aeclectic historicals list -
Ancient Tarot of Marseilles (or perhaps a Maresilles-style like the Bologna or restoration like the Jean Dodal?)
Lombardy??
Cary-Yale Visconti
Soprafino
Tarot Flamand 1870
maybe the Visconti or the Visconti?

The Jacques Vieville looks interesting.

In more modern decks, I figure I should look at the Golden Dawn decks and also the Thoth and Crowley.

thanks for your thoughts!
Euri

jmd

In terms of enrolment and as you're local, if you do an MA by research thesis alone (rather than part course-work), there are no fees that have to be charged by the University except for the general service fee (ie, no HECS) - though this tends to change every couple of years.

In terms of looking at Tarot symbolic elements and early decks, the study will in part depend on both the period being considered, and the style of deck being considered.

For example, the Visconti-type decks (including, here, of course the Cary-Yale), has no numbering, so looking at the possible symbolic connection to renaissance views on numerology become a little irrelevant. By contrast, with those specific decks, the heraldic details specifically displayed become of likely importance - an importance that becomes more or less irrelevant if focussing on other decks.

Also, in terms of symbolic elements, the main influence depending on the location of the deck may be important. For example, with considerations of the Hanged Man, I would suggest that if the deck is of northern Italian origin, its association with traitors is highly likely, whereas if in France, the association with the hanging in forced conversions (of mainly Jews) is perhaps more likely. If in Turkey, perhaps the depiction of St Gregory becomes more significant. Though of course all of those (and others) can be added to the discussion.

This is with early decks.

As to decks to study (?), I would definitely suggest looking at the Dodal and the Conver as two significant variants in the Marseille pattern.

The Dodal is unfortunately out of print as a photo-reproduction, but letarot.com (J-C. Flornoy) has meticulous reproductions of the Atouts - more than well worth obtaining, as they are themselves works of art in all its senses. The Conver is available in various reproductions, though I would personally first and foremost recommend the Héron reproduction.

euripides

Thanks for this, JMD. Those suggestions are really useful.

I hadn't realised I might not have to pay HECs if I study locally. I was doing some postraduate studies in Classics and that had some fees involved though not as bad as HECS.

The possibilities are just HUGE - I figure if I start by giving myself a bit of a tour of Tarot history, something will emerge that I can pin myself down to. I'm one of these people who get fascinated by everything, so specializing is hard. I'm really into text, language and symbolism both as a means of communication - something that is both a product of the way we think, and conversely shapes the way with think - and as a formal (ie decorative/graphical design) element.

At the moment I'm thinking about how some symbolism is very much cultural and specific (hence your comments about the Hanged Man and Heraldry are food for thought) - and also looking at archetypes and Jungian psychology.

These early decks are the product of a very different world view, which is something that I find interesting. I'd have to look at times and dates, and so give them context.

Le Marseillais

Noblet to be considered as a Historical deck

As some new comers on this Forum are interrested in Historical Decks, I will suggest them (an Forum organisers) to consider Jean Noblet deck (dated 1650 and made in Paris France) as an Historical Deck at an equal level with Dodal, Convers, Vieville and Viscontio Sforza for exemple. My list is not limited to this above mentionned decks of course. Originals Noblet are in BnF (Bibliotheque nationale Francaise / Paris), you can buy photoreproductions and see originals if you are studbborn enough.
And excellent 22 Majors reproduction is also made by a french artist JC Flornoy as many know.
Full deck reproduction will comes soon on the market (same source JCFlornoy).Plus a book dedicated to Noblet deck.

That's all folks

Yves le Marseillais

euripides

Thanks, Yves. I hope to visit France in the not too distant future (well, it will be a few years!) but I will be sure to visit the Bibliotheque Nationale.

I know these things have probably been discussed already but it is so exciting to discover these ancient decks for the first time. I just came across a couple of Italian publishers who have a fantastic selection of Italian regional deck reproductions. Its amazing stuff.

I will have to go and do some more study though before I drive everyone crazy with silly newbie questions.

The Flornoy deck does look very good.

One of the things I don't always like about some of the 'reconstructed' decks is that the images are too perfect. While woodcuts can be very precisely registered (with the colors fitting exactly), I can see from the historical cards that in most cases the registration of the colors was far from perfect. This isnt always a flaw - it can also be part of the character of a woodcut. I'd like to see a modern reproduction which uses overlaid colors that are a little more true to the woodcut feel - less precise and mechanical.

Hmmm.... now there's a project for me.......