The Fool as someone's reaction?

Midsummereve

Hello all,

I have received the Fool as someone's reaction to an important question (around their potential participation in a financial contract).

How do you guys see the Fool in this context? A fresh start, a risky venture? A careless or thoughtless idea?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thirteen

I think the one thing we can say about the Fool no matter how you see it...the person isn't ready to do serious work. Even at his best, which is full of energy, delighted and optimistic....he's wide-eyed and distracted. Which might be great in other situations, but probably not if it involves money.

I think this person's reaction will be that however great the contract, the participants aren't serious enough, or the contract itself isn't nailed down enough; that this venture isn't in the real world enough.

Midsummereve

I think the one thing we can say about the Fool no matter how you see it...the person isn't ready to do serious work. Even at his best, which is full of energy, delighted and optimistic....he's wide-eyed and distracted. Which might be great in other situations, but probably not if it involves money.

I think this person's reaction will be that however great the contract, the participants aren't serious enough, or the contract itself isn't nailed down enough; that this venture isn't in the real world enough.

Thank you, Thirteen. So what I understand is that the idea here is one of a lack of seriousness or groundedness around this financial contract. This makes sense, of course. My thought was that the idea around the possibility of the contract was not well thought through (The Fool is Air, so this whole contract thing was an intellectual exercise, and not well "aspected" when originating from the Fool's volatile mind)...

Very grateful for your light here!

Thirteen

The Fool is Air, so this whole contract thing was an intellectual exercise, and not well "aspected" when originating from the Fool's volatile mind
Heh. Well the Fool is hardly an intellectual. It's more a matter of "Castles out of air..."--thoughts breezing this way and that. A motley compendium of ideas. He may say clever things (wise fool) or he may utter complete nonsense, but the reason he's a "fool" (whether you care to see that as enlightened fool or idiot) is that he doesn't see a difference between them. The wise thought and the nonsense thought are both equally new, fresh and wonderful.

Which, again, is fine for some things, but when it comes to to money, most people would prefer that the participants and/or contract know the difference. It would certainly make me nervous if I felt that I was entering into a financial contract with someone who didn't or couldn't distinguish between what was really a good idea and what was utter nonsense.

Midsummereve

Heh. Well the Fool is hardly an intellectual. It's more a matter of "Castles out of air..."--thoughts breezing this way and that. A motley compendium of ideas. He may say clever things (wise fool) or he may utter complete nonsense, but the reason he's a "fool" (whether you care to see that as enlightened fool or idiot) is that he doesn't see a difference between them. The wise thought and the nonsense thought are both equally new, fresh and wonderful.

Which, again, is fine for some things, but when it comes to to money, most people would prefer that the participants and/or contract know the difference. It would certainly make me nervous if I felt that I was entering into a financial contract with someone who didn't or couldn't distinguish between what was really a good idea and what was utter nonsense.

I like the concept of "castles out of the air". This card is very revealing of the psychology behind the protagonists at play, an older dad and his younger son, the "Fool". It has given me some insight as to what the dad might be thinking of his son, and it isn't positive, as least when it comes down to this financial contract!

SunChariot

Hello all,

I have received the Fool as someone's reaction to an important question (around their potential participation in a financial contract).

How do you guys see the Fool in this context? A fresh start, a risky venture? A careless or thoughtless idea?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

For me it would likely say that they are feel excited about it and are looking forward to getting started. That they anticipate good things to come in the future from it. A sense of excitement even, about getting started.

Babs

nisaba

1) They could be about to do something very Fool-ish.

2) The whole situation may eventually have them wanting to jump off a cliff.

3) They're going into this blind to the dangers ahead.

Just on those three possible interpretations never mind your own stab at it, I really don't think this financial contract looks like a good idea for them. They need to get a lawyer and/or accountant to look it over *before* they sign up.

Midsummereve

For me it would likely say that they are feel excited about it and are looking forward to getting started. That they anticipate good things to come in the future from it. A sense of excitement even, about getting started.

Babs

Thanks Babs. There's definitely a sense of excitement as a new journey begins for this man, but the careless nature of the contract he was considering had me warn him against it...

Barleywine

As a "reaction," perhaps puzzled or perplexed, but above all unready. If he's thinking of this as a hopeful "leap of faith," he should think again, more carefully.

Trogon

I would think that the participant whose reaction was indicated by The Fool would initially be quite enthusiastic. They'd be wanting to get started, jump right in. However, they might become bored with the venture fairly soon, going off to the next grand adventure and forgetting this one. OTOH, if the situation required work on their part, they might quickly become disillusioned and want to move on to something easier or, again, more exciting.