The Antique Lenormand

tarot heart

Hi Tarot heart,

I think card decks get splodges and marks over years of handling, and I know some people prefer them to look like that, as if they've been around for centuries. But I suspect that a deck used for divination around the end of the 1st Empire (not sure about this, could be 50 years or so off the mark) might kept quite clean at that time.

But I've had a go and made the card backs more grubby. In the first image the backs weren't white, they were mildy grubby but perhaps that wasn't very noticable? I've left the 10 Diamonds alone as it was already shaded. (my attempts to dirty the shading looked awful anyway....:)).

Bee

I think I prefer your first version actually. The second version looks more mottled than antiqued. At least on my screen. It may look completely different when actually printed, though. Either way, the composition is excellent.

What are you going to do about the cards that were missing in this deck? I am sure you have something in mind? Hmmmm....:)

Bernice

'lo Moonbow :) Given the variety of 'knowledge' that the Book can indicate, I didn't want to make it an out-and-out esoteric one. Alpha & Omega seems to fit the bill. And..... I think most people probably know that the black & white flooring conveys a whole kit & caboodle of magical activities. I think the Anchor will be next.

Cheers Periwinkling, I included the little mountain goat in the Mountain to enforce the message that there is definitely no way forward from this place. Plus, I like goats :), pleased you like him too.

Hi Kathy,
".To me it looks like it is smiling, as if it sees someone coming who's head is in the clouds, and hasn't got a clue as to the danger that waits in plain site."

Now wondering if I should make the Snake a wee bit more smiley - I had been aiming for a 'self-confident' look, but smilely seems even better!

Tarot Heart: (re. the Book)
I think I prefer your first version actually. The second version looks more mottled than antiqued.

:laugh: I spent ages trying to 'antique' them, and finally choose the least mottled. I expect it might be possible to do all sorts of things in photoshop or some other fancy paint program, but I'm doing these by hand/scanner and where possible snaffling bits from the unknown deck, then assembling them pixel by pixel in windows default Paint; with a little help from a freeware image thing that lets me blur or sharpen selected bits.

I'm glad you prefer the first version, relived actually, I did a pirate thing years ago and somewhere in this pc I think I have an old map I did that looks antiquated, but I can't find the blooming thing!

The missing cards....... I think the unknown deck was a sybilla-type as there are no actual Lenormand images anyway. So I'll just have to play it by ear (as per usual :)).

Bee

Bernice

The Anchor (35)

Here's the Anchor.

The general meaning for this card relates to issues concerning security and an ongoing stability. It could also be said that it represents steady regularity.

I think of this as the Marseille card as the City has the anchor as it's emblem. In 1830 after many troubles and setbacks, the city of Marseille finally stabilised with resulting prosperity. Seems appropriate for the Anchor card.

Bee

Attachments

• Anchor.jpg
    Anchor.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 113

Moonbow

I get it Bee. :)

This card also gives an impression of waiting, history, heritage about it, as well as the usual work meaning.

I think you're on a roll.....

Bernice

I get it Bee. :)

This card also gives an impression of waiting, history, heritage about it, as well as the usual work meaning.

I think you're on a roll.....

Yes Eve you spotted it. History in the sense of duration :).
I use the Anchor as stability, reliability, and durability which could easily represent work, but I use the Fox for work.

The image is an indoor corridor or gallery whichever is preferred, sheltered from the elments outside (safe harbour). A plush carpet-runner to indicate that you're cushioned, but bare windows (no curtaining) because this isn't a card of prosperity. And as I've already said, the 'historical' elements are there to convey duration which might relate to any undertaking or a relationship - something that is likely to become permanent. That clock has been there since 1830 due to sound workmanship and maintenance :), it can also convey 9-to-5 (or similar) if the Anchor is used as card for Work.

Bee

Bernice

The Key (33)

Here's the Key.

ETA, not sure about this one. Here's an alternate version.

Bee

Attachments

• Key.jpg
    Key.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Key_alt-1.jpg
    Key_alt-1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 98

garmonbozia

I prefer the subtlety of the first card. The second one is a little too much.

Moonbow

Definitely the first one Bee.

As you know, I haven't read Lenormand for a good few years so i bow to experience on this deck but from what I remember The Key is in itself a big exclamation mark in a reading i.e. it speaks for itself. So keep it simple, let the reader notice.

One of the very nicest things about participating in this thread is that you are so open to suggestions and you listen carefully, without people being afraid to be honest. That's a special gift of comaraderie and acknowledgement on your part.

tarot heart

Er- Bee, I like them both but I'm not loving either. Maybe take a break from this one and come back later? :)

If I had to pick one, though, it would be the first. All of your other cards are more subtle, so I think you should keep in line with that? Just my two cents, of course! :D

Bernice

I agree with all three of you - the first card is more in line with the other cards. Many thanks for your feedback. All perspective goes out the window after staring at the same image for hours at a time, fresh eyes needed!

I have to say that Tarot Heart voices my own opinion. It's just NOT RIGHT.
Over the past few days I've altered all the elements of it; switched them around, changed them altogether, added keyholes etc. Still not happy. So I think it will have to sit on the back burner for a while as Tarot Heart has advised. I'm having a go at the next card right now.

Bee x