Book of Law Study Group 1.63

Grigori

I went to a Duquette talk on Solomonic evocation yesterday, his method of invoking was interesting and reminded me of this discussion. In a way I can relate to his situation a lot, in that if I was asked to invoke the highest divinity I can imagine, I'm a bit unsure of what to do, cause I'm not sure what my conception of divinity is. So what can I do to get that godly feeling?

Duquette repeatedly sings the name of Ganesha to the tune of pop goes the weasel, while imagining Ganesha circling anticlockwise out to encompass the universe, before spinning him back clockwise inside his head, pulling the universe in with him. Not my cup of tea, but as good a way as any to get you in the mood for feeling all divine.

I must admit that I've thought sometimes of things like the Rites of Eleusis as being a bit naf, at best an excuse to get stoned and show off your artist mates. But now I can see how valuable that would be for invoking a certain type of feeling, and how that could be used to invoke Nuit as outlined in this verse.

Now I just need to work out what song to sing :D

Always Wondering

On a basic note. . .

Now I know nothing about Solomonic evocation but I recently read An Interlude in Book Four and how there are profound magical secrets in Nursery Rhymes. My favorite was Hickory Hickory Dock. :|

Then I noticed your signature a couple of weeks ago. "In every job that must be done there is an element of fun," and I related it to the the great work and was inspired. I went around humming that tune for days. I whistled while I worked. :laugh: It really lifted my spirit.

It might not be very technical, but it worked for me.

AW

thorhammer

Well, colour me all Wiccan and stuff, but I just don't know that I could sing a nursery rhyme, no matter its latent magical power, as a means to invoking the divine.

Seems to me that the tunes, the actual musical order of the notes, are designed to be . . . well, shallow.

But it's an interesting thought, and thanks for describing Ganesha circling the universe. It looks like a cartoon in my head (thanks in no small part to the Pop Goes the Weasel soundtrack) but it's certainly served to get my head out of serious mode :D

\m/ Kat

Grigori

Always Wondering said:
Now I know nothing about Solomonic evocation but I recently read An Interlude in Book Four and how there are profound magical secrets in Nursery Rhymes. My favorite was Hickory Hickory Dock. :|

Then I noticed your signature a couple of weeks ago. "In every job that must be done there is an element of fun," and I related it to the the great work and was inspired. I went around humming that tune for days. I whistled while I worked. :laugh: It really lifted my spirit.

It might not be very technical, but it worked for me.

AW

I'm glad :) I used that line as that is a bit of a mission for me at the moment. To go back to having things being fun. A few things in my life became hard work of late, that I started for the enjoyment. So time to bring the fun back again I think :thumbsup:

thorhammer said:
Well, colour me all Wiccan and stuff, but I just don't know that I could sing a nursery rhyme, no matter its latent magical power, as a means to invoking the divine.
But it's an interesting thought, and thanks for describing Ganesha circling the universe. It looks like a cartoon in my head (thanks in no small part to the Pop Goes the Weasel soundtrack) but it's certainly served to get my head out of serious mode :D

I think that is the ideal. A joyous fun silly sort of a god, to a joyous silly sort of song, to get you feeling high, happy, and divine. I think I make the mistake of taking things too seriously sometimes, a bit of a laugh can be just as good.

I'm reminded of the line:
Remember all ye that existence is pure joy;

and am suprised looking at it now just how many reference to joy there are in the BoL (well first and second chapters at least)

thorhammer

Hmm, but silly does not equal joy to me. I feel joy usually disconnected from any reasoning and often spontaneously. Silly, while fun and worthwhile at times, doesn't have a place in my approach to the divine.

Maybe I'm wired wrong.

\m/ Kat

Always Wondering

Solvuntur tabulae -- risu!

What does this mean exactaly? I assume it is Latin but I can't get it translated. :| Free, tablet, laugh?

And what are the Tables of the Law?

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
Solvuntur tabulae -- risu!

What does this mean exactaly? I assume it is Latin but I can't get it translated. :| Free, tablet, laugh?
Let the Tables be broken! - with Laughter!
Always Wondering said:
And what are the Tables of the Law?
Look at the Hanged Man card. He is crucified upon them. Oh, how awful this incarnation business is! All is grief, sorrow, pain, and suffering in this vale of tears. Or is it? Law only reaches up to Chesed, but you don't. ;)
Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains.
Look at what the Hanged Man hangs from. ;)

As the Angel of the 16th Ayther says: "But I go dancing!"

Always Wondering

Wow, for the first time I think I am finally begining to understand that darn Hanged Man card.

And I have truly under appreciated the Ankh. :| :laugh:

AW