difference between Satiety and Luxury

Myrrha

In some ways these cards seem very similar.

In the Ten of Cups you get real happiness but there is a sense of being too full. Mars doesn't really fit in well in Pisces and wants to move on. In the Four of Cups Jupiter in Cancer + Chesed is (according to Duquette) too cozy, too much of a good thing, and signifies "success or pleasure approaching their end".

I think I can see the difference in what you get at first with these cards, the Four of Cups is easy thoughtless enjoyment while the Ten is real happiness, but they both seem to end up the same way.

Any thoughts or practical examples on the difference between these two? Was Crowley just overly pessimistic about the possibility of lasting happiness? But really, nothing lasts and everything changes, that is not pessimism.

Aeon418

I agree that there are a few similarities between these two cards, but the water in each case is acting differently.

In the 4 of Cups the water has been sitting in the cups for too long. It's just too comfortable where it is. As a consequence it's beginning to go stale and stagnant. This is where the sense of dissatisfaction and decay begin to creep in this card. The inherent stability of this card works against the universe, which is constant change. It's desire to stand still is it's own downfall.

In the 10 of Cups the water is up to the brim and over flowing. Things simply can't get any better than this. And that's the point. This is the zenith of perfection, but from this point on it's not going to get any better. This card is water fulfilled. Add any more water to these cups and they overflow. And the only way left to go is down.

Myrrha

OK, thanks Aeon418, that is very helpful. I see the difference more clearly now.