The Book of the Law Study Group 2.35

Probie

Aeon418 said:
Joy and beauty? Sounds like the opposite of your average church service. It's all very solemn and dignified, as you would expect from a cult that glorifies death, suffering, and redemption in the "life to come".

But Thelema is life affirming, and so it's ritual must reflect that fact.

I'm sorry you've been so hurt you feel you need to say something like this. :( I hope you have found some healing in the path you're on now.

thorhammer

Huh? The post of Aeon418's that you've quoted is a very dispassionate, even slightly ironically amused, and accurate snapshot of how the formula of the Aeon of Osiris sums up the relationship to G-d (or whatever you call it). Now that the Equinox of the Gods has occurred and we have entered the Aeon of Horus, the formula has changed and Thelema affirms the awakening of the divine within each one of us. We are the Gods, and we do not require the formulae of vicarious redemption ("Jesus died for our sins") or death and resurrection - for us, the redemption shall occur within this lifetime, caused by our own Will-ful pursuit and effort towards the achievement of the Great Work.

There is no suffering being expressed in Aeon418's post. It is quietly joyful, and expresses "certainty, not faith" which is our gift in this Aeon.

Aeon, I do hope that I've not misinterpreted what you said. That's how it struck me, and is just how I feel as well.

\m/ Kat

Aeon418

Probie said:
I'm sorry you've been so hurt you feel you need to say something like this. :( I hope you have found some healing in the path you're on now.
Huh? Eh? What? :laugh:

I was stating facts, nothing more. I have no idea how you read more into it than that. I'm all ears though. :)

Aeon418

thorhammer said:
Aeon, I do hope that I've not misinterpreted what you said.
No, you're right on the money, Kat. :thumbsup:

ravenest

Joy!

Aeon: Jeeze dude, lighten up, you're so depressive! :laugh:

Actually, I was given a book someone said I would like because it was by Crowley. I accepted it to find it was by A. Cowley and a book about early passion plays. I read it and it was great. Apparently, in church, a great while back, all these plays were put on during the service ... much better than a sermon! Certain guilds were responsible for each one, eg. the shipwrights put on the story of Noah's Ark, quiet funny, a bit ribald and Noahs wife some mad harrasser who abused and beat him (in their version anyway).

Church with the Rites of Eleusis incorporated. :laugh:

Anyway, yes, a great line! If your ritual isnt being performed like that, forget it. The most memorible and famous ones I have been to / organised were. A Joyus beautiful pagent . . . a funeral should be like that, any ritual can be (even a P.I. or Chod Rite) if it isnt, I feel its due to either an untogether organiser/s or there is some other trip involved.

That was actually part of my work for a few years, to make sure thats what was happening ... boy did that bring up some stuff for 'some' !!!