Best Pictorial Key for the pictures?

Laura Borealis

I want a copy of the Pictorial Key with good, clear plates of the cards. I'm looking for black and white, not grayscale. I browsed Amazon and other places and found there have been many editions of the Pictorial Key over the years. Unfortunately, if sellers note the illustrations at all, they don't give complete enough information for me to be sure I'm getting what I want.

Though it's not directly about my question, I found in this thread that the University Books editions have either color plates or grayscale plates. (If that's not correct please forgive me, I am sure I missed some information.) The Causeway Books editions apparently had some rather garish color plates. However, rwcarter mentions a 1996 Barnes and Noble edition that seems to have nice quality black and white plates (see this post).

I've ordered one of those from Abe but does anyone else have other information that might help? It would be much appreciated!

Richard

My PKT is a Barnes & Noble 1995 edition. The illustrations are black & white, not greyscale.

Laura Borealis

Super, thank you.

roppo

The 1911 first edtion by Rider is the best, but expensive. The 1922 edition is good and printed on the smooth papers. The drawings of the later Rider editions have been taken from 1922 edition.

There is a mystery about the University Books PKT: their 2 of Swords is slightly diffrent from the Rider version. Causeway and Merrimack have same feature.

Zephyros

If you're going to scan the images and color them in, wouldn't high quality scans be better?

Laura Borealis

Sure, it would save me a lot of trouble, but my google-fu failed at finding print resolution scans. Do you know where some are?

Laura Borealis

The 1911 first edtion by Rider is the best, but expensive. The 1922 edition is good and printed on the smooth papers. The drawings of the later Rider editions have been taken from 1922 edition.

There is a mystery about the University Books PKT: their 2 of Swords is slightly diffrent from the Rider version. Causeway and Merrimack have same feature.

That does sound mysterious! (edited to add - that's a big difference with the islands. I wonder what the story is with that?)

Thanks for the information on editions. I'm afraid a $6.00 (with free shipping) used B&N edition is more in my league. :)

Richard

If you're going to scan the images and color them in, wouldn't high quality scans be better?
The idea is to get good black and white images from which to make high quality scans, not necessarily to color them, but to isolate the suit symbols. The photo editing to do this is much simpler using black and white line drawings than full color images.

Here was an easy one:

Attachments

• 6p.jpg
    6p.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 230

Laura Borealis

The idea is to get good black and white images from which to make high quality scans, not necessarily to color them, but to isolate the suit symbols. The photo editing to do this is much simpler using black and white line drawings than full color images.

Here was an easy one:

Yes. And good example. I like it, it makes my brain go funny. :laugh:

ravenest

Now I want to see the same images, with the symbols but no characters or people in them ... the background, the scales, the money dropping :) .