78 Weeks: Ten Batons

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

CreativeFire

10 of Wands

Universal Waite

The image in this card is of a man, walking bent backed, carrying a bundle of 10 wands. He is wearing a red tunic which indicates to me drive, courage and ambition to reach his goal and complete his task. There is a house in the background landscape of the garden which may represent that his goal is now in sight, and this relates to this card also being number 10, completion.

However how he is carrying the wands makes me think that he cannot see where he is going with the wands blocking his vision. I feel that this may cause a problem in that he may not see any obstacles in his way. He needs to perhaps come up with a better way of carrying his wands so that is more manageable and still give him visibility and not lose track of how close he is to the end of his journey.

The ten wands could represent a harvest of some sort, of all the hard work that he has done and now he is reaping his rewards to take them to market so to speak. However it could also represent that he has taken on so many different creative tasks or projects, that seemed like a good idea at the time, that he is now overwhelmed with the volume he has to handle and is struggling under the strain. It is always exciting to start something new, but then often it requires follow through to see it to its completion and having so much on his plate, it has reached a point that he is so weighed down with responsibility that he is not free to pursue any new creative pursuits until he unloads his bundle by finishing some of the tasks.

The way he is walking with bent back however, does give the impression that he is determined to continue to see it to its end which appears not that far away. However you can imagine that by the time he gets there and drops his load he will be somewhat exhausted and may need some time to recover before taking on new creative pursuits. He does however look strong, young and healthy and no doubt will complete his journey but possibly doing it harder and slower than he ever imagined in the first place. Maybe he needs to consider working 'smarter - not harder' next ime and invest in a cart to carry his load home. Or even, planning ahead and be prepared for the work that he takes on when committing himself to projects. ;) I can certainly relate to this card!!

Also as he appears alone in this card, this could represent that he is without help in his tasks and may need to be prepared to delegate some of his workload so that he can focus on the big picture of his goals.

Look forward to reading some others thoughts on this card.

CreativeFire

cartarum

ten of wands

the ten of wands is all about activating change. hiding the fact that one is married is this ten. so is trying to change the mind of another, making ones dreams a reality, bringing about ones downfall, altering ones like or dislike of another. all about the nature of the change, and whos doing the changing. the figure in the picture beleives hes doing his will, but there is no indication that he really knows where hes going. you can tell hes getting somewhere, but is that where he wants to go? he cant really see where hes going anyways. this is one of the best cards of the deck, i think, because it always shows whos pulling the strings.
~A~

Major Tom

Finally

For the first time during this study, I've run right into the energy of the card I'm studying. I'm still studying the Marseilles through the 3 examples I own: the Dusserre Dodal, the Lo Scarabeo Burdel and the US Games/Carti Mundi.

The last few weeks have been an incredibly busy time for me. I've been organising the printing of The Tarot Lovers' Calendar 2005, finalising the preparations for the UK Tarot Get-Together in Framlingham, preparing and teaching classes, summer prunning in my vineyard, and giving readings. There've been times when it all seemed like too much to cope with all at once.

Looking back though, I think I've managed it all - even if one or two things got dropped along the way. I realise now that this previously unaccustommed level of activity is likely to become the norm rather than the exception and will probably lead me to a new level where I can take on even more.

During my study for the 10 of Batons I managed to find there was more than one way to depict the ten batons. My own version reflects both my new understanding of the energy of the card and this other way of depiction - which can also be found in the Visconti decks.

Attachments

• ten of batons.jpg
    ten of batons.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 154

Ace

Re: ten of wands

cartarum said:
the ten of wands is all about activating change. hiding the fact that one is married is this ten. so is trying to change the mind of another, making ones dreams a reality, bringing about ones downfall, altering ones like or dislike of another. all about the nature of the change, and whos doing the changing. the figure in the picture beleives hes doing his will, but there is no indication that he really knows where hes going. you can tell hes getting somewhere, but is that where he wants to go? he cant really see where hes going anyways. this is one of the best cards of the deck, i think, because it always shows whos pulling the strings.
~A~

What deck are you using to get this interp? I am NOT saying you are wrong but it is very different from what I have ever gotten from this card.

Deck: the WorldTree Tarot

This has always been a positive card to me. I see the person as under a lot of stress and burdened by work, but with the goal in sight. One step in front of another will get them to it. We see the goal (and in most decks including RWS so does the carrier in the card). I see it as the reward of hard work. The work WILL be done, keep going just a few miles longer and the reward (sale of goods? accomplishment of goals? finishing a course of study?) will be achieved.

It CAN mean one is over burdened, and needs to delegate, that depends on the other cards surrounding it, or the interp at the time. I have also seen it as back problems or injuries.

10 of Wands Rx is not a bad thing: sometimes we have to be ready to say Enough!

knavescurvy

this is one of the few cards that I actually dislike seeing. your efforts are reaching the end of their tether you are streatched at the same time you do not have much further that you can go, sure the destination is just over the hill but what then. You need to let go of some things bring some things to conclusion and free yourself up to be able to do some things tht you want to do.

LaurelRae

This is the ten, this is the goal you've been working toward. Did you really want to create this much work for yourself?

I'm sure some people really do want to be this busy, and won't consider it to be a burden but a challenge they enjoy.

Most of the feeling of accomplishment will be inside themselves and not external for others to see. (There has to be a great deal of self satisfaction carrying all that lumber 10 miles.)

rcb30872

Radiant Rider-Waite

Ten of Wands

LWB

A man oppressed by the weight of the ten staves which he is carrying.
Divinatory Meaning
A card of many significances, and some of the readings cannot be harmonised. I set aside that which connects it with honour and good faith. It is oppression simply, but it is also fortune, gain, any kind of success of these things. It is also a card of false-seeming, disguise and perfidy. The place which the figure is approaching may suffer from the rods that he carries. Success is stultified if the Nine of Swords foolows, and if it is a question of a lawsuit - there would be certain loss.

My Impressions
The meaning of the card in some ways represents oppression, but really speaking it indicates burdens, on the other hand of oppression, the posture of the man in the card indicates the strength and sheer determination to perhaps deal and overcome these burdens. The man itself looks strong, as can be seen by the size of the shoulders, arms and legs, not only that but the outline of the muscles are easily seen even through the clothing. Not only that his posture is very much leaning forward, and the almost determined and resolute way that he keeps on walking. The way he has his head down and his shoulders forward can indicate in some sense of suppression but to me it indicates a bit like a bull or even a bull dozer which is willing and able to "bull doze" through any opposition, obstacles or difficulties.

In some sense, there is an indication that there si either hiding from others or the refusal to see things realistically or to pay attention to others as the face of the man is hidden or sheltered by the wands. It could indicate that there is a refusal to look at, let alone deal with any difficulties or problems, in some sense being a bit childish in the fact that the difficulties and problems would go away by themselves. In which case, the wands could indicate, not only the fence or wall, or even blinkers in place that helps in the refusal to look at the problems or difficulties, but that if you were to take on the task of looking at the problems and difficulties, to deal and face these problems and difficulties, would require a lot of action and work on your behalf.

The fact that there may be a refusal to take or listen to any advice, or guidance from others could be both a good thiang and a bad thing. A good thing in the fact that you would do whatever you want to do, in the fact that you would go the distance to fulfill your dreams and not to take in account of what others have to say to you in the fact that people who may tell you that you can't do whatever you want to do. But on the other hand, you may take on the "I am right and you are wrong" which may not necessarily be the case, but since by having such an attitude it could indicate arrogance and some sort of beligerance, you may actually alienate people with such an attitude and behaviour. This may happen at a time when you need these people the most, whether it is for support and help with what you are doing.

In another way, it may indicate that what doubts, fears, worries, problems or grievances you may actually have, you keep to yourself. Instead of talking about these problems, you carry on as nothing is wrong, that everything is running smoothly where it is not. You are more willing to put on a happy face than tell people, those who are important to you as well, that there is a problem. Which by the refusal to talk about it, you let things get to the point where your limit is broken, like the final straw, or the straw that breaks the camel's back, and this is where you break free from the situation or walk away from the situation and the other people associated with the situation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Golden Tarot of Klimt

10 of Wands

LWB

Income and financial statements, test to take, confidence and completed work.

My Impressions
The figure of the woman who is facing right of the card, but hiding her face. In the fact that the back of the woman looks like she is trong and well toned and even youngish in appearance, but the front of her gives the impression of the opposite, where here breasts are sagging and she has a very definite belly, but don't think that indicates that she is pregnant, it seems to indicate that of age and not taking care of herself, as in, for example, exercise. The contrast between the front and the back helps in showing the illusion that she is not showing others. At face value it seems like that she is weak and whatever else including not being in control, but behind the facade is the complete and utter oppsosite, someone who is strong, in good shape, determined and capable.

The ten wands are behind her but in the dark, indicating that somehow the effort and whatever is in her subconscious. Perhaps the fact that here back is turned to that may indicate her refusal to acknowledge and recognise where the difficulties and obstacles lie. The fact that they are in the subconscious indicates that these obstacles and difficulties are mainly mental and emotional, and are obviously due to things that have happened in the past. Also, the reason why there are great lengths taken to hide the face from others indicates that a sense of deception and deviousness, as in what you see may not necessarily be what you get. It may indicate that there is something that needs to be done, you are quite capable of doing it, but you don't want to, but you use your charm and play up to others so they do whatever is needed for you, for example.

It could be seen that whatever needs to be completed has been completed, as all the wands are behind her and on the left. It could indicate that these things that have been completed hs either been something where there was a need to overcome the obstacles and difficulties that were put in the path by yourself or someone else, to a certain degree, as overcoming certain negative thoughts. And this by itself has required a certain amount of strength, will power and sheer determination, and these things that you may have had to face yourself and that even though you may have had some advice, ultimately it was basically all done by your own efforts.

gregory

Ten of Wands - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
This card actually rather scares me. It took a while to register that for once the upright image starts at the bottom of the card, unlike so many in this deck.

From the book
Upright

He bears the burden often wands ambitiously. He exerts immense control over them with power from within.
The Ten of Wands highlights the level of power and energy that has been reached to burden difficult tasks. Here you may feel that you are carrying a heavy weight on your shoulders, but you will be able to manage it. Multitasking, micro and macromanaging, and helping out different departments will all be commonplace in your daily activities.
This card warns of a period when there will be plenty of work and situations where you will be stretched. Managing relationships in both personal and public realms will seem like a juggling task as well. Be not afraid, for you will be able to draw from the strength and knowledge within to deal with it all.

Reversed
He realizes that he has taken on too much of a task, and the wands break out of formation.
The reverse of this card warns of burdening yourself too much. The stress that you feel from carrying too much will wear you down emotionally and physically. It suggests not letting this continue for too long as it may cause more damage in the long run.
In situations, this card represents tasks and commitments that at the moment may be too much to handle. Perhaps you have spread yourself too thin.

Images and Symbolism
The energy within the sage has reached its full potential. He can now handle the task of bringing together ten wands after years of training and experience. He has reached his peak.
On the reverse, the sage loses control over the task. He has not reached the level that is required to command the other wands, and they break out of formation. The image advises not to overburden oneself with a task that is beyond one's abilities.
Color: reds and warm purples, associated with the element of fire.

Traditional meanings
Upright:
Triumph of force; great good fortune which has become a means of oppression. Obstinacy, fixed ideas which force into a mould.

Reversed: Deceit, lies, guile, all designed to disrupt the ordered affairs of others.

My impressions:
Upright
The “usual” (for this deck) broad shouldered figure in body-hugging clothes (orange and purple) stands with their back to the viewer, holding a stave in what I recognise as a martial arts position, but I don’t; know what it’s called ! He looks as if he’s in front of a wall of purple and pink blocks. Above him, four more golden wands, evenly interlaced.
Reversed
He leans to one side; he is unbalanced; the “main” wand is askew and the other four (orange) are crossed and slipping; he seems to have lost control. This is reinforced by a swirling purple background looking like a tidal wave; there is even foam at the top.

My take
Another card where control, concentration and holding your own seems to lead to a positive outcome, while losing control leads to failure and an inability to cope.
I don’t see all 10 wands as applying to either end; it feels more like 5 each ! But like so many of these cards, it seems to be all about control.
I’m surprised by the “traditional” idea that guile and deceit are involved, or obstinacy. I don’t see any of these. I do see all the pip wands so far as having to do with power and control.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

coyoteblack

10 of wands DC

78 weeks 10 of wands

Physical description:
We have a man walking up a rocky path straining with 10 wands on his back. This is an older man and he is walking out of a valley up a stony path way. He looks very uncomfortable.
Symbols:
Strained look on the man’s face this man is not enjoying this work
Uncomfortable way he is carrying the staves: he could hold it across his shoulders or only carry a few at a time this is work in the truest since
Lush valley into stony path way: He is leaving his comfort zone going into something unworkable
Golden dawn references
GD Name: Lord of oppression
Days : December 13th – 21st