78 Weeks: Valet of Cups

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

cartarum

the page

a quiet, shy individual. a person you do not know. a person deep in thought. a seducer, an actor, a queen of cups reversed in disguise.

CreativeFire

Page / Princess of Cups

Again I have used the Universal Waite for my study / thoughts on this card for the week. This card shows a young man standing, holding a cup in his cards which contains a fish at which he is looking intently.

I jotted down many thoughts / notes on this card this week however my first thoughts when I look at this card is of listening to your inner voice / intuition, and being a Page - I make the connection then of this card being about learning to recognise and trust this voice or feelings from within.

Also I see this card as being about experiencing new feelings or a new connection to your inner self or someone else. Feelings of love and wonder, sharing of emotions and letting your feelings show and reaching out with your heart.

For my own version of this card (Princess of Cups), I decided on an image that was similiar in content (person, cup, & fish), however there is much more of a connection between the young woman (mermaid) and fish. They are intertwined almost like they are coming from the same source within the moving waters (emotions) of the cup, but still separate and the young woman is reaching out to touch the fish that her attention is so focused on.

CreativeFire

Attachments

• cupsprincess.jpg
    cupsprincess.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 173

Sophie

I see the page as nurturing nascent intuition, imagination and feeling. He represents a time when we are playing around and forming in our minds - or on the page, with our guitar, in our sketch books - a new song, a story, a movie or a tree house for the children. When we accept and protect new feelings for someone or a new intuition.

After a period of darkness, of intensity, of anger or of sadness, he announces, as a good page, a (sometimes timid) return to faith, to trust, to love, to self-love too, if we were the one to betray or cause the rift.

He calls us to develop a light heart, to throw a little playfulness into responsibility and soften the intensity of living that can weigh us down as much as it fills us with fire - the page of cups applies a fresh balm to burnt skin and heart.

But when we need to commit to that story or that man, to move from games to realisation, the page can be the child who continues to play and stays in Never Never Land.

Major Tom

Wow! Thanks for that Helvitica. Plainly spoken for a very legible font. :joke: I like what you said very much. :)

I've added a mini version of the Fournier since last week. I suppose that takes the number of versions of the Marseilles I've studied this week to 8. Now, I'm lusting for the Piatnik. :laugh:

I've really nothing to add about the meaning of this card that hasn't been said. I'm not going to make a comparision to the RWS this week.

Instead, I'm going to talk about my version of this card, that I've drawn during this week of study of the Marseilles Valet of Cups. My goal with this study is to produce a version of the Tarot of Marseilles depicting the characters in modern clothing while retaining the 'woodcut feel' of the oldest remaining versions. I also want the cards to be appealing to the eye. ;)

I struggled with deciding what this Valet should wear. I decided he was in an outdoor procession, perhaps a parade, certainly some sort of religious procession - this being the suite of Cups. So I dressed him in choir robes - we've all seen people dressed in this way. At the very least, I certainly have. :laugh:

I attach my version of the card:

Attachments

• Valet of Cups.jpg
    Valet of Cups.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 183

gregory

Page of Cups - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
This card is startlingly symmetrical – should be interesting !
From the book
Upright

She rejoices in her cup. It represents her intuition, which she holds dear.
The Page of Cups represents the dawning of intuition within oneself. It manifests in a sudden realization that is outside of logic, and it bears to the individual the mysteries of the unknown. Here you may also find yourself in the infancy of love or happiness in a relationship, or relearning what it is to bear your emotions to others.
When representing others, this card speaks of a young child or adolescent who is just coming of age and exploring his or her emotional limits and psychic abilities. In situations, this card represents the beginning of an emotional time when the self needs to be explored and understood before moving forward.

Reversed
She dives deeper to the ocean floor, unaware of the dangers around her. She doesn't sense them as she is careless and blindfolded.
Note
Refer to the bottom half of this card in the upright position.
Here the world of illusion plays with your heart. You may find yourself dealing in situations that are over your head (or over your heart) and not surviving very well. Delusions may be driving you to engage in dangerous acts that have damaging emotional repercussions. Messages seem to get mixed up, and signs seem to be read incorrectly.
In the work environment, the atmosphere seems reckless and challenging. Workmates may be conducting high-risk activities and experiments and not foreseeing future consequences. Here the energy to reach a goal is dangerously driven by emotion and not by logic or reason.

Images and Symbolism
The golden princess or page of cups embodies the exploration and study of the cup. Here she raises it high as her vessel. Not only does it contain her emotions, but it is also the medium through which she will learn to explore her empathic abilities. She is the student of the cup.
The two ornate fish that circle her are her familiars-the Piscean pair. They heighten her awareness on an intuitive level.
The reverse page dives blindly to the bottom of the ocean floor, proving her skills and intuitive gifts. However, she fails
to "see" the dangers of the tentacles around her prize, which will keep her down forever.
Her brash nature and the heavy influence of her emotions will cause her more hurt than good. Color: gold and purple, royal colors.

Traditional meanings
Upright:

A gentle child, eager to please. Enjoys quiet study and often possesses unusual knowledge. Painstaking and foresighted.
Reversed:
Jack-of-all-trades, selfish and devious, trivial.
My impressions:
Upright
Well – looking at the book explains the symmetry. A mermaid swims among floaty tailed fish; she reaches for – and holds - a golden cup. She is serene and looks successful – though there seems to be a whirlpool that the cup may have come out of.
Reversed
Turning the card over gives the first “this doesn’t WORK” image I’ve seen in this deck – given that all the other cards turn upside down so well ! But you’re supposed to look at both from the right side up…. So – reversed: we have a blindfolded mermaid diving down to retrieve a golden cup. Around her octopus tentacles and purple seaweed. She is lithe and beautiful – and she’s smiling.
My take
It was quite a jolt to have to look at both images from one angle. It threw me till I read the book ! But – the upright image suggests success; reaching for what you want and achieving your goal. The reverse – she’s blindfolded, and smiling – cheerful – diving to grab something without noticing the dangers around her. She is at risk. I suppose a message from this card would be – by all means strive for what you want – but watch for the risks that may be attached to that. The book refers to this card being about intuitive skills- I don’t see it as that restricted in its message, though I suppose the blindfold could suggest that she is trying to do things intuitively – in which case, her intuition fails her.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

Pocono Platypus

in a new way

I used to cringe whenever I drew any of the pages, because it felt like my own immaturity had been revealed -- even if only to myself. The pages embarrassed me -- until just now, these past few days, when it seems that I am open to understand what they really represent in myself and in others. So -- I suppose this is all a matter of timing -- but Helvetica's explanation is really clear to me, and I intend to leave this coffee shop, return home, and look at all four pages in a new way.

jackdaw*

Page of Cups (Rider Waite Tarot)

First Impressions
There’s always been much made of the androgyny of the Pages in the Rider Waite Tarot. But while I’ve found the clothing on the Page of Cups to be very effeminate, I don’t see the character himself as being girly. Not like I could consider him to be a her, is what I mean. I do find that I like more and more to have Pages as females in my decks, like in the Robin Wood Tarot - still the deck with the best court cards ever, in my opinion :) - or mixed like in the Minchiate decks where the “feminine” suits of Cups and Coins have handmaids and the “masculine” Wands and Swords have pages. But to me, the Pages in this deck are boys. Not the manliest boys I’ve ever seen, mind you, but boys nonetheless.

What is a Page, anyway? Historically, medievally I guess, a page was a youth (usually male) from a noble family who served the king. He acted as a herald, announcing the king and any visitors of consequence, fetched and carried, ran messages. It’s this last one, the role of messenger, that we typically associate with Pages in the Tarot. In the abstract they often represent news or messages, and it hails back to this.

So back to this Page, the Page of Cups. He’s fresh-faced, youthful in a pretty way. Dark hair and eyes, which doesn’t much work for me. Having learned on a not-especially-multicultural series of decks such as this one, I tend to follow the Eurocentric tradition of assigning colouring to the people in the various suits, and the Cups courts by this logic are generally fair. Blue/gray/green eyes, blonde or light brown hair. So the dark hair and eyes doesn’t especially chime with me. Gorgeous clothing, though. Fancy blue hat that I initially couldn’t make sense of, but which I now think from the way it drapes and its elaborate shape, is meant to resemble a fish. Pink leggings and blousy long sleeves; a belted tunic over it that is a light blue and adorned with a pattern of water lilies or lotuses. Their pink and white stems are at various heights from the hem. And boots with a cuff but no sort of a heel. They look soft and comfortable, more like slippers or socks. Ideal for someone used to smooth floors and soft carpets as opposed to tramping the byways and hillsides. Clearly a pampered child.

He stands feet apart and facing slightly to the left - he’s reflective, intuitive - and has one hand on his hip. In the other hand he holds a golden goblet just like the ones we’ve seen in the numbered cards of the Cups suit. Well, except for the Ace, but that’s another story. The Page is looking at it with a bright and smiling expression on his face. And small wonder: a little blue fish is poking out of the cup as if looking up at him. The fish clearly amuses the Page; you can just imagine him saying, “Hey, look at that! There’s a fish in my cup! Neat, I can’t wait to show someone!” It’s not quite the surprised wonder of the Hanson-Roberts version, which is my favourite, or the proprietary contentment of the Robin Wood, it’s just simple pleasure in the novelty.

The background of this card is pretty simplistic. Just a pale and nondescript sky over blue and rolling water. The Page’s boots are planted on a sand-colored surface the same shade as the boots themselves, and is separated from the water by a clear horizontal delineation. Another stage card, then.

What do I take away from this card? Right now I see it as a dreamer, an incurable romantic, a young lover or beloved child. But that is just in terms of physical manifestation.

Creator’s Notes
In The Pictorial Key to the Tarot, Waite says:
Waite said:
A fair, pleasing, somewhat effeminate page, of studious and intent aspect, contemplates a fish rising from a cup to look at him. It is the pictures of the mind taking form.
Waite must mean “fair to look at”, because he seems dark in colouring to me. To me he seems more to describe the Page of Pentacles; I never saw this gentle soul as particularly studious, much less intent.

Others' Interpretations
Waite thinks that the Page of Cups should be interpreted in a reading to mean:
Waite said:
Divinatory Meanings: Fair young man, one impelled to render service and with whom the Querent will be connected; a studious youth; news, message; application, reflection, meditation; also these things directed to business. Reversed: Taste, inclination, attachment, seduction, deception, artifice.
Again, I can't shake the feeling that he means the Page of Pentacles.

In her Learning the Tarot course, Joan Bunning said it means:
Bunning said:
The Page of Cups is Cupid bringing you opportunities for love. He delivers real chances to experience romance, deep feelings and the inner life - the wonders of the Cups suit. In readings, this Page suggest that an opening may appear that stirs your emotions, pulls at your heartstrings or brings you great joy. When you see such a chance, act on it!

The Page of Cups can also stand for a child or young-at-heart adult whose interactions with you involve emotional needs, moodiness, love, intimacy or spirituality. Sometimes the Page of Cups implies that your entire situation is suffused with the spirit of love and emotion. At such times, feel free to express and enjoy your feelings with light-hearted abandon.

Symbols and Attributes
Elementally this Page is the Earth (Page) of Water (Cups). You could see it as the wherewithal to nurture the emotional, spiritual or intuitive side. Making it real, solid, substantial. This side of the Page’s character is immature, not fully developed. But it’s got the potential.

The Page, like all Pages, is youthful and androgynous but vaguely male. He stands with one hand on his hip - a surprisingly assertive stance to my mind, confident. The direction of his feet, his upper body, his gaze, the entire direction of focus is to the left. It makes me think of the so-called feminine aspects of passivity, inactivity, reflection. He’s thinking back to the past, not looking forward to the future. Not living in the here and now.

His clothing is just loaded with water symbolism. His hat is the blue of the ocean and seems to me to be somewhat fish-shaped. Or am I imagining things? I just can’t make sense otherwise of its drape and configuration. Over his blouse, which is a soft and romantic shade of pink, he wears a tunic. Its hem is a passionate red showing the potential for great romance and depth of emotion. But the rest of the tunic is watery blue again and is decorated with lotus flowers. As they start beneath the water and grow to allow their blossoms to just crown the surface, they represent the ascent of the soul from the depths of the subconscious toward the light. They symbolize the purity and the spiritual growth of the innocent Page. They also tie into the Page of Cups’ title, according to the Golden Dawn: the Princess of the Waters, the Lotus of the Palace of the Floods. And the boots are, at least in my version, the same shade as the ground on which they stand. An illustration, I think, of what grounds him, of the Earth element of the Pages.

The cup in his hand is, obviously, emblematic of his suit. The watery, receptive, feminine Cups. And the fish? Given the unformed nature of a child on the cusp of adolescence, the changing and adapting to his adult form, it heralds transformation as it did in Celtic myths. Rachel Pollack (heh, Pollack, fish :p ) says that the fish is imagination, the visualization of imaginative ideas. Its emergence from the cup is, like the crayfish in the pool on the Moon card, indicative of ideas that surface from the subconscious. But in this case, appropriate for a Page, it is less eerie; it is shallow and not fully formed. The Page of Cups’ subconscious is shallow and lacking in murky depths. Knowledge, ideas, intuition, inspiration, they all bob to the surface, but nothing really ominous like in the Moon. But it's the start of something great. As the Page of Cups gains in maturity and experience, so too does his fish - and his cup - until he winds up with the whale in the ocean behind the King of Cups!

LRichard made a really interesting point before in the Rider Waite subforum; the fish was a common symbol in the earliest days of Christianity, by which Christians recognized one another. The version I always heard was that when Christianity was still deep underground they didn't go around announcing their faith to all and sundry. When meeting one another one Christian would unobtrusively draw the shape of a fish in the dust with his toe. Kind of a password. The second Christian would recognize it as such and use his toe to dot an eye in the fish shape. So the fish has long been a symbol of Christianity, and of Christ. Anyway, the fish (Jesus) in the cup, LRichard suggested, could very well be a reference to the legends of the Holy Grail, so dear to the heart of Waite. So we go back to the idea of a Holy Grail (san greal) as an allegory for the royal blood (sang real) that flowed through Jesus' veins and those of his descendants. As Baigent and the like put forth in The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, and then Dan Brown took that ball and ran with it, the blood of Jesus, the body of Jesus as symbolized by the fish, in the cup or womb of Mary Magdalene. Another interesting thought as far as the Page of Cups goes, and his spirituality.

The way the Page looks at the cup, fish and all, is also interesting. He shows lively interest, but no especially great surprise. It's as if he is gradually becoming attuned to his surfacing imagination and budding intuition. It is of great interest to him, but little surprise; he knows and recognizes that it is happening.

Behind the Page are roundly rolling waves. They represent his suit element of Water, of course, but the topography of the wave, if you will, seems to indicate activity. This isn't the calm and still pool behind the High Priestess' veil. Being young and still spiritually naïve, he doesn't necessarily have his emotions or his intuition under control. And notice how the Page of Cups is standing on a tan foreground that's not just the same shade as his boots (the Earth of all Pages, and a sign that despite his frilly appearance this kid is actually pretty grounded) but also separated so distinctly from the waves. No natural coastline or horizon, but a clear delineation. The presence of this stage, this card's distinction as a stage card, would lead us to believe that these waves might not be real, that they are projected by the Page to illustrate both the depth of his imagination and also some hint of his lively imagination below the surface.

My Interpretation
In its most general, most abstract sense, the Page of Cups represents a message on emotional or spiritual matters. As Cups are very intuitive it may mean a "gut feeling", or a message from your subconscious, your dreams. You might do well to listen to such messages. Or it may represent budding romance, newly emerged spirituality or intuition. Perhaps a fledgeling student in fields related to this. Because a Page can also represent a student, one embarking on a new path. When representing a person, this Page is likely a child, youth or young woman, someone beloved to the Querent, maybe sensitive, emotionally immature, dreamy, with an active imagination and great intuitive or psychic potential.

gregory

Thoth

Card name: Princess of Cups

First impressions
A woman in a huge pale lilac ball-gown decorated with cuboid figures at the hem and fanned out to look almost like a shell. Her face is green (I am using a greenie here, but) and a green swan sits on her head. She holds a massive lotus blossom in one hand an a shell-like cup containing a wide-awakl tortoise in the other. Behind her is a huge fish which I note Frieda describes as a dolphin, but – well – isn’t !The background is blue water with curving massive waves, very smooth ones.

From the Book of Thoth
The Princesses represent the He’ final of the Name. They represent the ultimate issue of the original Energy in its completion, its crystallization, its materialization. They also represent the counter-balancing, the re-absorption of the Energy. They represent the Silence into which all things return. They are thus at the same time permanent and non-existent. An audit of the equation 0=2.

The Princesses have no Zodiacal attribution. Yet evidently they represent four types of human being. They are those numerous “elemental” people whom we recognize by their lack of all sense of responsibility, whose moral qualities seem to lack “bite”. They are sub-divided according to planetary predominance. Such types have been repeatedly described in fiction. As Eliphaz Levi wrote: “The love of the Magus for such creatures is insensate, and may destroy him”.

PRINCESS OF CUPS

The Princess of Cups represents the earthy part of Water; in particular, the faculty of crystallization. She represents the power of Water to give substance to idea, to support life, and to form the basis of chemical combination. She is represented as a dancing figure, robed in a flowing garment on whose edges crystals are seen to form.

For her crest she wears a swan with open wings. The symbolism of this swan reminds one of the swan in oriental philosophy which is the word AUM or AUMGN, which is the symbol of the entire process of creation. [See, for a full analysis and explanation of this Word, Magick, pp. 45.]

She bears a covered cup from which issues a tortoise. This is again the tortoise which in Hindu philosophy supports the elephant on whose back is the Universe. She is dancing upon a foaming sea in which disports himself a dolphin, the royal fish, which symbolizes the power of Creation.

The character of the Princess is infinitely gracious. All sweetness, all voluptuousness, gentleness, kindness and tenderness are in her character. She lives in the world of Romance, in the perpetual dream of rapture. On a superficial examination she might be thought selfish and indolent, but this is a quite false impression; silently and effortlessly she goes about her work.
In the Yi King, the earthy part of Water is represented by the 41st Hexagram, Sun. This means diminution, the dissolution of all solidity. People described by this card are very dependent on others, but at the same time helpful to them. Rarely, at the best, are they of individual importance. As helpmeets, they are unsurpassed.
Images and Symbolism
Frieda Harris says in her essays:
Princess of Cups = earthy part of Water, or its faculty of crystallisation, also its power to give substance to idea, to support Life, and to form a basis of chemical combination. She is represented as a dancing figure, and has a crest of a swan with open wings. She carries a Cup with a tortoise. The dolphin symbolises the power of creation.
Also:
Princess of Cups.
Here is snow. Round the princess's dress are water crystals, beside her is a dolphin of Venus, the tortoise is an emblem of earth to show the solidification of water in mud, ice and snow.

I would never have realised those were water crystals – and it’s interesting (to me) that Frieda describes them as snow on one note but not in the other !

DuQuette says she represents the crystallisation and materialization of everything that was present in the Ace of Cups. He says the rapture in her face is reminiscent of Bernini’s Ecstasy of Saint Theresa.. I can actually see what he’s getting at.
The swan she wears as a crest – which I had to say looks rather odd as a crest; I had seen it more as a swan rising above her ! but Crowley and Frieda both see it as her crest – refers to Venus, ruler of Libra. According to Snuffin, ten rays extend from it – the numbers of Malkuth and of Earth. But if those are rays they seem to serve also as the waves referred to elsewhere.
Snuffin says the crystals on her dress – and on her crest, in fact – are ice or salt, which is certainly more crystalline than snow ! He also points out that they are hexagonal – the balance of Tiphareth – and that on her dress there are eleven of them – the number of magick.
The turtle refers to the earth part of the card, and Banzhaf says it is an “embodiment of the protected inner world in the process of carefully opening up to the outside.. The lotus blossom, he says, symbolises divine union with the self. Which all ties in rather well to Saint Theresa ! But Snuffin says the lotus symbolises her acceptance and expression of the emotional realm.
Snuffin – coming back to that fish – also says that the four points of its pectoral fin (which a dolphin does not have, but ANYWAY !) link it with the Empress, the trump associated with Venus.

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman)
Princess of Cups. Represents the earthy part of water. A young woman, infinitely gracious, all sweetness, voluptuousness, gentle¬ness, kindness, romantic and dreamy. III-dignified: Indolent, selfish and luxurious woman.

DuQuette
Sweetness, poetry, gentleness and kindness. Imaginative, dreamy, at times indolent, yet courageous if roused. When ill dignified she is selfish and luxurious.

Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
PAGES
The first court cards are the Pages (also known as Princesses). It is always best to imagine them as young, and with a letter or scroll in hand. The element of the pages is "Earth" indicating something young, growing, a seed planted. So the Page of Wands would be "Earth of Fire" - the seed of fire, so to speak. Pages most often stand for children, though they can also be said to be the "Fool's" alter ego, meaning that they are very new to their "element," a student or apprentice.
Thus, when no children seem to be involved (the person you're reading for is childless, has no friends with kids, etc.), then the Pages can indicate that the querent is about to receive a message, or that the querent's (or someone in the querent's life) is at a new stage. They feel new and excited about it, but also are likely to make mistakes. They are immature.
Page of Cups
As a Message: Usually the Page of Cups signifies a message of family matters or a matter of the heart. It might be an artistic message, a story or poem, or a message confessing deep feelings.
As Time and Environment: This is a time of fresh emotions, feeling them purely and wondering at them. Romance is at the stage of puppy love and crushes.
As a Child or "Child-like" Person: This is the daydreamer, head in the clouds, rarely paying attention. Which makes it difficult to get them to focus on homework or chores.
The Page of Cups has got a great imagination, an artistic bent, and a love of story-telling which is both wonderful, but problematic, as they may let their imaginations run away with them. They will believe that there are elves in the garden and monsters under the bed. Adult-wise, they may not be taken serious as they're viewed as too "airy-fairy."
Very kind and sweet, they'll bring you fresh picked flower, make you a card, write you a song; they'll try to rescue sick birds or abandoned kittens, and take very seriously the death of a goldfish. When sad, they're the saddest kid you ever saw. When happy, they're positively blissful.
Warn the querent, however, that being "immature" this person will be overly sensitive. One has to be clear with them or they will misunderstand, but one also has to be prepared for very emotional reactions.
My impressions (appearance of the card):
It looks almost like sexual ecstasy, in a way – wild abandon. It made me think at once of Moreau’s Leda and the swan where the swan is in a similar position. I like the blues and pale mauves of it, and the way the fish (I cannot see that as a dolphin !) sports between two rays or waves, depending… It also seems a very peaceful, dreamy card.

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
I would see it as suggesting exactly that – wild abandon. Letting yourself go; opening up – like that tortoise which is coming out of its shell. Live the dream.