78 Weeks: Two Swords

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

CreativeFire

Two of Swords

still going but running behind again in posting my notes with the 78 week study ;)

Two of Swords

Using the Universal Waite for this card's thoughts - I really noticed this week just how rigidly the lady in this card is sitting on her bench, holding her swords. It is like she is so upright and stiff in her body posture, not able to relax while keeping the swords balanced and so closely crossing her chest, protecting, blocking. Then on to the blindfold - it made me think of 'what you don't see, won't worry you' - and this goes along with not making a decision, pretending even that there is no decision make or issue to deal with. Not wanting to see the truth, as you know it may hurt and therefore rigidly not moving either way as to not deal with consequences of your actions - wanting to keep the status quo even though it may not be healthy.
Just some random thoughts ;)

Lady Mary

Hope you don't mind if I jump in informally here, but the 2 of Swords used to be one of my favorite cards of the deck.
For me it's about a story where the last word hasn't been said. Even though there's not much of a movement on the image, I have always felt that everything is possible. There are still options. She can take off the blindfold and get rid of the swords and simply walk away, or just enjoy a day at the seaside. But she could as well kill someone with her swords. It could be good or it could be bad. I've always felt that finally she has to get up and do SOMETHING.

january

Hi there -

I see this as a card of procrastination through sweeping an issue under the metaphorical carpet.

In the Spiral Deck, the rope is suspended over some rocky waters under a waxing moon. As she continues this tricky carnival-esque feat, the tide will only get higher and the waves stronger as the moon grows. She's attempting to go through a situation with tunnel vision and ignore her emotions. Ripping off the band-aid (blindfold) may ouch a bit but at least the wound would be exposed to see what care it needs to heal. Things only fester when hidden.

What happens if she falls? She'll be forced to deal with her issue but all logic will be lost as the swords (thought) sink to the bottom of the water body, making a resolution more complicated. I think this teaches us to make a move or decision before something really becomes a big mess. It's better to get that slow leak fixed in your tire before you have a blowout in the middle of nowhere!

Some mundane 2 of Swords situations may be:
Putting off opening your "after-holiday" credit card statement.
Ignoring a nagging health issue.
Avoiding a certain person with whom you've had a disagreement.
Pretending that everything is okay in your marriage/relationship.
Refusing to see that your child has a problem in school.
Concealing life's problems from yourself with drugs or alcohol.
Avoiding answering the phone for fear of bill collectors.

Take off the blindfold. What you see may not be as bad as you think.

~ January

PS: this was actually my daily draw today and it reminded me that I've been avoiding doing my taxes :) On a VERY mundane level, the two swords reminded me of the scissors used when I decided to get a spur-of-the-moment new haircut!

gregory

Two of Swords - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
A very confusing card…..
From the artist’s website
Upright

He balances somewhat gracefully his heavy sword as well as himself on a wire high above the clouds.

Reversed
The situation becomes difficult as he loses his confidence. The wind shakes his act as he can barely keep the sword on his palm, much less himself on the rope.

Images and Symbolism
The card balance with the literal idea of balance and tension. The man on the rope performs a difficult task of balancing himself and his sword as he progresses from one end of the line to another. The sword representing his thoughts are just as important as himself in this journey.

The reversed side shows the man trying to gain some balance in a vicarious journey along the line. The winds around him, representing outside influences, contribute to the difficulty of the situation.

Colour: pastels, rose, blues - associated with Libra
Traditional meanings
Upright:

Equilibrium, peace through a balance of arms. Truth and beauty arising out of turmoil. Friendship in adversity.
Reversed:
Needless stirring up of strife. Trickery, betrayal.
My impressions:
Upright
This card shows a worried looking man balancing a sword by the point on his hand; behind him a pink full moon, clouds and whirling sky. The hand that holds the sword is also curled around a tightrope.
Reversed
Again, a man balancing a sword in the palm of his hand by the point – but it isn’t; balanced and is about to fall. He seems tangled in the tightrope, and behind him, in the red and whirling ski, a black hole leading to nothingness.
My take
Upright – indeed, a card of balance and control. He keeps his concentration even though there is a really thrilling full moon to look at. The reverse image is very unpleasant; I have the feeling the man will be sucked into the black hole as soon as the sword falls – it is almost as if it and the tightrope are all that is holding him down.
Drawn upright – it would suggest a difficult time, with too much going on, but that the querent is in control of it, and balancing everything successfully – though as a result getting no time to attend to their own needs. Reversed – a similar situation but where the juggling is not successful. I don’t see where betrayal comes into it- unless the black hole is a ghastly truth yet to be revealed – unnoticed because of the problems surrounding the poor guy. Things are going to give – and not in a nice way at all.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

Anyankah

Some things I see in this card:
  • Forced Balance: There is a lot of balance and symmetry in the way she is holding the swords, but it is a painful balance that takes effort. Sometimes balance is important enough that it needs to be achieved at those costs, but it's much better when it can be like the 2 of Pentacles: easy, flexible, and fun.
  • Self restriction due to perceived or real need to focus on defense: he could remove her blindfold, except that she's too busy holding her swords to do so. As opposed to the 8 of Swords, who can't remove her blindfold because she's tied up, and even if she weren't would actually risk being hurt by her surroundings.

gregory

That entirely depends on the deck. There is no blindfold in the card I was studying.

gregory

Thoth

Card name: Two of Swords

First impressions

We have two ornate swords – not very sharp ! – crossing each other through a blue rose flower. Behind, what look like four children’s toy windmills, but could be stylised flowers. The background is green – dark at the base shading lighter as you go up the card. There are two daggers – one at the top and one at the bottom - both pointing upwards, and sigils of moon and Libra – one at the point of each dagger.

From the Book of Thoth
THE FOUR TWOS

These cards refer to Chokmah. From the point of view of the ordinary person, Chokmah is really No. 1 and not No. 2, because he is the first manifestation; Kether is completely concealed, so that nobody knows anything about it at all. Hence, only on reaching the Deuces does an element appear as the element itself. Chokmah is uncontaminated by any influence; therefore the elements here appear in their original harmonious condition.

The Two of Swords was formerly called the Lord of Peace Restored; but this word “restored” is incorrect, because there has been no disturbance. The Lord of Peace is therefore a better title: but it needs thinking hard to work this out, since the Sword is so intensely active. It may be helpful to study the Essay on Silence (p. 120) for a parallel: the Negative Form of the Positive Idea. See also the Essay on Chastity (Little Essays toward Truth, pp. 70-74) which concludes:
Sir Knights, be vigilant:
watch by your arms and renew your oath; for that day is of sinister augury and deadly charged with danger which ye fill not to overflowing with gay deeds and bold of masterful, of manful Chastity.
Witness also Catullus: domi maneas paresque nobis Novem continuas futationes.
Nor does he misunderstand the gesture of Harpocrates; Silence and Chastity are isomers.
It is all one case of the general proposition that the sum of the infinite Energy of the Universe is Zero.

PEACE TWO OF SWORDS

This card is ruled by Chokmah in the Element of Air. This suit, governing all intellectual manifestations, is always complicated and disordered. It is subject to change as is no other suit. It represents a general shaking-up, resulting from the conflict of Fire and Water in their marriage; and proceeds, when Earth appears, to crystallization. But the purity and exaltation of Chokmah are such that this card manifests the very best idea possible to the suit. The energy abides above the onslaught of disruption. This comparative calm is emphasized by the celestial attribution: the Moon in Libra.

The Moon is change, but Nature is peaceful; moreover, Libra represents balance; between them, they regulate the energy of the Swords.

In the card appear two swords crossed; they are united by a blue rose with five petals. This rose represents the influence of the Mother, whose harmonizing influence compounds the latent antagonism native to the suit. The Rose emits white rays, producing a geometrical pattern that emphasizes the equilibrium of the symbol.

Images and Symbolism

Frieda Harris says in her essays:

Two of Swords=Peace. Chokmah in the suit of Air. Moon in Libra. In this card are two crossed swords united by a blue rose with five petals, which emits white rays producing a geometrical pattern which suggests energy beyond the onslaught of the disruption of the intellect.
Also:
Two of Swords = Peace. Moon in Libra. Chokmah.
The two swords piercing a rose or lotus shows, in the symbol, the intellect restrained by love.
Frieda even says in one note that the flower may be a lotus OR a rose. This seems odd to me, coming from the one who painted it…
Snuffin says that the presence of the moon signifies peace and calm and that balance is added to by Libra. The hilt of each sword bears angelic figures, kneeling, and doves of peace.
The greenish background is the colour of Netzach in Yetzirah (I must try harder to get my head around this side of the cards !), and the patters that look like windmills are, he says, stylised Swastikas, representing the constant activity of Air. They are also, of course symbols of peace until they were debased by the Nazis.
DuQuette, however, sees them as part of a stylised Greek cross – pointing out that the pattern of the swastikas resembles the wings on the Princess of Swords (which I haven’t got to yet).
Banzhaf, says that the meeting of the two swords in the centre of the rose symbolises what is unattainable; he refers to this card as the calm before the storm of the three. The moon represents emotions and Libra balance. The card “remains untouched by the external influences thanks to the balance of its inner opposites.”
As Crowley says, there are rays of light coming from the rose, which create the swastika patterns, which he refers to as geometrical patterns, as does Frieda, and Banzghaf refers to them as “uniform white patterns”, too. Could we all be reading too much into them ? ;)

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman)
Peace. Contradictory characteristics in the same nature. Sacrifice and trouble giving birth to strength. Quarrel made up and peace restored, yet tension remaining. Pleasure after pain. Truth and untruth. Indecision. Actions sometimes selfish, some¬times unselfish.

DuQuette
Quarrel made up, yet still some tensions in relations: actions sometimes selfish, sometimes unselfish. Contradictory characters in the same nature, strength through suffering; pleasure after pain. Sacrifice and trouble, yet strength arising therefrom, symbolised by the [position of the rose, as though the pain itself had brought forth beauty. Arrangement, peace restored; truth and untruth; sorrow and sympathy. Aid to the weak; arrangement; justice, unselfishness; also a tendency to repetition of affronts in being pardoned; injury when meaning well; given to petitions; also a want of tact and asking question of little moment; talkative.

Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
TWOS
The twos are related to the High Priestess. As such they indicate duality, a pause between two choices or an attempt do two thing at once. Most importantly, they indicate instinctual knowledge. Aces are undirected energy; the twos are that point where you find out more about the energy so that you can know which direction to go with it.
Two of Swords
This is a striking image of a blindfolded lady with two swords. Crossed swords suggest a clash of ideas or words. The blindfolded lady, indicating impartiality, crosses her arms and so holds the swords apart. This is the knowledge of how to keep these two sides from fighting. It is very similar to a Mother who tells her bickering children: "I don't care who started it, go to your rooms!" Thus keeping the children apart and the house at peace.
Each child wants mom to take his/her side, but she'd decided to stay neutral and keep them likewise, which means that her solution is temporary. The fight between them hasn't been resolved, it's just been put on hold. Sooner or later, this truce will end.
This can indicate the querent feeling like he/she is in the middle of something as a peacekeeper, or in a situation where tensions are running high and the lull in fighting isn't going to last. It's possible that the querent is trying to deny or ignore the fact that they didn't solve the problem and a reader would do well to remind them that they can't put off making a real decision for long.
When we are faced with two opposing ideas or decisions with equally valid arguments, we do have a tendency to say, "I can't make up my mind right now, let me be!" But sooner or later, our minds have to go back online and we will have to decide what to do.
(I include Thirteen’s meanings here, but the way, as while someone else was adding them to her Thoth posts, I found them enlightening in context, even though the descriptions are way different !)

My impressions (appearance of the card):
It is VERY balanced. I do wonder why there are four swastikas (or whatever they are) – I can’t see any obvious reason for that number. It feels very peaceful – but swords piercing a flower – which remains perfectly healthy looking just the same – isn’t exactly a peaceful idea. Why the daggers ? no-one mentions them, and I’m not sure why they are there, decorative though they are !

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
A difficult and painful decision – but whichever choice is made, no harm will come from it (the rose survives !)

jackdaw*

Two of Swords (Rider Waite Tarot)

First Impressions
A blindfolded woman sits uncomfortably on a stone cube before a night-lit sea. She holds two unwieldy and heavy-looking swords angling up and out of the scene. She holds them awkwardly, uncomfortably, with her hands crossed at the wrists high up on her body. It looks really uncomfortable; I imagine her struggling to hold them steady, swords wavering and waggling as she shifts uneasily on the hard seat and strains to keep them aloft.

This card is, to me, one of the unhappiest cards in the Tarot. The Nine and Ten of Swords, even the Three and the Tower, are to me needlessly melodramatic and too much. It’s overkill. Kings topple screaming from a lightning-struck tower, swords pierce a richly red valentine heart, figures weep in the dark or lie impaled by many long-bladed swords. Overkill. But along with the Five of Pentacles, the Two of Swords is a card that (however unhappily) hits all too close to home. It’s the picture of worry, and being immobilized by that worry, being too frozen by self-doubt to move or to know what to do at all.

The woman on this card wears a long and shapeless white gown like a nightgown, giving her a damsel in distress appearance. Her hair is dark and perhaps short, but it’s hard to tell because the white blindfold over her eyes holds it back. The swords she holds look long and heavy - battlefield swords, not dressy or ceremonial ones. No wonder her face, or what can be seen of it below the blindfold, is so unhappy. Her feet are planted far apart under her gown, legs spread, perhaps the better to brace herself to hold her awkward burden. Her seat is a white or light gray cubic block of stone or marble, and looks uncushioned and hard for a seat. The floor is of the same material and runs flat and smooth to a double horizontal line just behind the cube. So, another strange card.

And what’s behind this stage, the other side of where a curtain would be? On the surface it’s a peaceful scene. A dim blue-gray sky with a small and pale yellow crescent moon. A calm body of water (I suppose it could be a lake, but I tend to think it’s the sea) with an island in the middle distance and rippled closer to shore from the presence of rocks and shoals that rise above the surface. It reminds me of the reefs and shallows that are so treacherous to ships close to shore. If a rescue attempt were to be launched by sea for this poor beleaguered maiden, it may not end well.

The picture I get, the visual story that comes to mind when I view this card, is of an opulent 1920s Eastern seaboard style mansion on the water’s edge. A melancholy young woman, discontented with the night’s festivities in the ballroom within, wanders out to the wide marble veranda that overlooks the briny-smelling shore. Heedless of the music and the gaiety that sounds behind her, she sits on a decorative marble block at the edge, sunk deep in her own private worries. So deeply inward is her focus turned that she takes no notice of ocean behind her. The gentle sounds of the ocean tide on the rocky shore disguise the stealthy sound of an approaching boat. Is it bearing her knight in shining armour? An abductor or persecutor? A rescuer or other source of relief? That’s part of the story that is yet to be told …

My overall impression is that of worry, tension and isolation. And I’m strongly struck by the family resemblance between the maiden here on the Two of Swords and her fellow Two, the High Priestess. The parallels in this, between the two figures and their situations and surroundings, are definitely worth a closer look.

Creator’s Notes
Waite says the following about the Two of Swords:
Waite said:
A hoodwinked female figure balances two swords upon her shoulders.
”Hoodwinked”, not blindfolded. An interesting choice of words, I think. It makes me think of one who is being deceived. The wool pulled over her eyes, so to speak. And are the swords really resting on her shoulders? To me it looks like their crossbars might just barely graze her shoulders, but that would be all. So I think they aren’t supported, that she’s bearing the bulk of the weight if not the full weight with her bare hands. And so high up on her body, her centre of gravity has got to be thrown way off as well.

Others’ Interpretations
In The Pictorial Key to the Tarot, Waite said this card means:
Waite said:
Divinatory Meanings: Conformity and the equipoise which it suggests, courage, friendship, concord in a state of arms; another reading gives tenderness, affection, intimacy. The suggestion of harmony and other favourable readings must be considered in a qualified manner, as Swords generally are not symbolical of beneficent forces in human affairs. Reversed: Imposture, falsehood, duplicity, disloyalty.
Well, I don’t know what Waite was on when he wrote that! Tenderness, friendship, harmony? The only part that rings true is what he has to say about not being “symbolical of beneficent forces in human affairs”. No kidding.

Joan Bunning says:
Bunning said:
On the Two of Swords, we see a young woman who has put a barrier of swords across her heart. Her rigid posture tells us of her struggle to keep her feelings under control. She is fending off any approach from the outside. "Nothing comes in, and nothing goes out," she seems to say.

The Two of Swords is about the barriers we put up between ourselves and others and those we create within ourselves. Internally, we block off emotions and refuse to feel them. We avoid looking at the truth and pretend that everything's OK. We think one way, but feel another. In countless ways, we divide off parts of ourselves and try to maintain them even when we know they need to be reconciled.

In readings, the Two of Swords often appears when you are not willing to accept some truth about yourself or the situation. What are you really feeling? Are you resisting tender feelings because you might be hurt? Are you furious even though you're smiling? What are you refusing to look at? Notice the blindfold on this woman. She can't look at the truth or even acknowledge that there is trouble.

The most common barrier is a closed heart. When we cut ourselves off emotionally, we sever the connection that allows our love to flow outward. Sometimes this action is necessary, but it always comes at a great price. Every time we close off our heart, we find it more difficult to open again. Another barrier between people is a deadlocked situation. When two parties are set in their positions - cut off from each other - there is a stalemate. To break it, the "opponents" must come out from behind their swords and listen to each other. The lesson of the Two of Swords is that barriers are not the answer. We must stay open if we are to find peace and wholeness.
Closed heart. The hands crossed over the heart chakra, roughly. And what about when we see the Three of Swords that follows? Is that what comes of having your heart closed off, or just the opposite?

Symbols and Attributes
As the duality (Two) of the element of Air (Swords), this card embodies both the choice and duality of Two and the confrontational and intellectual aspects of the suit of Swords. So I see this meaning difficult choice, or being torn. Two is also the number of the High Priestess in the Major Arcana, and there are a lot of similarities between the two. More on that later.

Astrologically this card is connected to the planet Moon in the zodiac sign Libra. Well, the Moon’s not really a planet kind of planet, but you know what I mean. Pamela Colman Smith really beats us over the head with visual cues for this association. The crescent moon in the sky, the balance of the two swords like scales. And look, even the way the crescent moon hangs, unusual and not what you typically see in the night sky, looks like the balancing crossbar of a set of scales. And there are visual similarities, family resemblances, between the Two of Swords, the High Priestess (linked to the Moon, and card II or 2) and Justice (linked to Libra, card XI = 11 = 1 + 1 = 2).

Libra, the Scales, is an autumnal sign that falls from near the end of September to October, beginning just after the autumnal equinox and ending before Samhain. Covering much of the harvest season (at least, in my part o the world) it is a harmonious sign that is ruled by the planet Venus. Libra’s influence brings aspects of balance, negotiation, striving for perfection. It is a dignified and harmonious influence. When Libra’s Airy aspect meets the Watery and intuitive Moon, I see this as representative of spiritual and emotional harmony. But Waite makes the point of cautioning us, or perhaps that’s reminding us, in The Pictorial Key to the Tarot that
Waite said:
The suggestion of harmony and other favourable readings must be considered in a qualified manner, as Swords generally are not symbolical of beneficent forces in human affairs.
Well, Swords are generally a suit of conflict and strife, of arguments and words that wound. So the best I would hope for in terms of emotional harmony is a stalemate or an uneasy truce. There is balance, even peace (the esoteric title is even the Lord of Peace Restored, after all), but not for long and it may be uncomfortable.

The woman, her setting and her situation are all very reminiscent of her fellow “2”, the High Priestess. Both have crescent moons and what may be nighttime skies, both have oceans behind them. And some have pointed out that while the High Priestess wears a cross on her breast, the Two of Swords “crosses” her chest with her hands. There’s even a passing resemblance to Lady Justice (as the eleventh trump she also reduces to another “2”). they all sit straight and erect on uncomfortable blocks or thrones of stone or marble, facing directly forward with serious expressions. The High Priestess and Lady Justice both shield themselves from their surroundings by curtains or veils behind them; lacking this luxury, the lady in the Two of Swords wears a blindfold that may serve the same purpose.

But specific to the lady in this card, in the Two of Swords, she wears white. This is the colour of purity and spiritual truth. But it also blends in with the stone bench on which she sits. And this reminds me of the way the High Priestess’ gown becomes flowing water at its hem. As a card of the Watery Moon, this illustrates how totally she is one with her element. And the Two of Swords? As a Watery planet’s influence in an Air sign, this meeting with the stone that is indicative of Earth lets us see that she is more than just physically uncomfortable. She is completely out of her element. And this would account for her unease in more than just material discomfort. Her blindfold shields her view of the external world; she has nowhere to look but inward. But it also means she refuses to see what it right under her nose; it speaks of deliberate blindness and disillusion. Being deprived of her sight, she must rely on her other senses and her intuition. She’s back on to the sea; even if she could see, it’s as if she’s deliberately turning her back on her emotions. So without her sight, and ignoring her intuition, what is she going to do?

The more I look at this, the less I get the damsel in distress vibe. This isn’t some persecuted maiden, no Andromeda chained to the rock, she’s not in any real peril as I always viewed her counterpart in the Robin Wood Tarot to be (in that deck the tide is rising and waves crashing all around her). No, she’s made a martyr of herself, she chooses to sit here like this.

The cubic seat she perches on is a stable seat, speaks of the material world and security. Is her position more secure than she realizes? Or is this something for which she wishes? I tend to think the former, as it is her base, that on which she sits.

As she crosses her hands, she covers or protects her heart chakra. I see this as protecting her emotions, shielding herself from hurt. The fact that these protective hands clutch a pair of long swords makes me think she’s really defensive! These swords in her hands represent fear or worry and sorrow or anger in an even but precarious balance. She’s working hard to protect herself from hurt, but can’t do so indefinitely. Why can’t she manage them? Well, they’re really big and overly long swords. Not manageable ones like the one offered in the Ace, or picked up by the victor in the Five. And she’s not holding them practically with a good or stable stance, it’s not a position she can sustain. Even with the stable cube on which she sits and the wide planted feet, she’s still struggling. What could she hope to accomplish with these implements? So far as I can tell, they’re just for show. She can wave them threateningly and warn anyone approaching to bugger off, but if they ignored the warning there’s not much she could do. They’re too awkward to wield with any level of effectiveness. They’re so long they extend off the edges of the card so that the points aren’t even fully visible. Are they sharp, a weapon she can use? Or are they blunted and just for show? We don’t know. In extending her woes and her defensiveness outward from herself like this, she’s unable to see how effective it might be or what the outcome could be in the end. She makes me think of Eeyore, Winnie the Pooh’s pessimistic donkey buddy, who was followed around by a little rain cloud in various cartoons. She’s exuding misery and tension, and it surely follows her around.

The water means reflection and the depths indicate the unconscious. But the depths are shallow here. Is it low tide? Is her energy, her reserve of strength and defense at a low ebb? Or is it turning, will things be looking up soon? There are rocks that represent things she may be trying to block or suppress. But they still come to the surface and obstruct the free flow of emotion. You can avoid the shoals forever if you’re skilled at navigation, but it doesn’t mean that they aren’t there. And if you drop your guard for even a moment … WHAM! You’ve run aground. I think she’s at a low point. I believe that her spiritual and emotional reserves are so low that her unconscious levels are equally shallow. She’s got nothing to draw on, no emergency tank.

And what about that island in the distance? I wonder if it’s meant to be the same distant shore to which the people are ferried in the Six of Swords. Is it something for her to strive toward, or is it simply something else that comes between her and the open sea, something else to block or stifle her emotions?

The sky is a mixture of the blue of instinct and the unconscious (a sign to trust her instincts, listen to her intuition), and the gray of neutrality and achieved wisdom. And the crescent moon in it? Those in the know tell me it’s waxing, which means cleansing and new beginnings. Hopeful, healing ideas for this card and its unhappy central character. Of course, it might just be yet another illustration of the Moon influence in this card.

This is another of Pamela Colman Smith’s stage cards; note how the ocean and the night sky are behind the boundary. This is an example, though, I think more of what Isabel Kliegman called “separation cards”. Because there’s a divide, an isolation between what’s on this side of the line and what’s on the other. She’s cut off from her emotions, her intuition, and this physical divide only serves to underline that.

My Interpretations
To me, the Two of Swords is a card about being so afraid to get hurt, especially in light of past hurts or current tensions, that one cuts oneself off from feeling anything. Deliberately blinds oneself from seeing or experiencing that around one, turns away from emotion and intuition, ignoring that which rises above the surface of the unconscious. And that’s not natural, and it even feels unnatural. That’s why it feels so unsteady and precarious a position to hold.

Twos are cards of choice; and this woman has a choice to make too. She’s made it, has chosen this uncomfortable truce that leaves her blindfolded and deaf to what her unconscious has to tell her, and now she’s bound to wonder if it was the right one. When this card comes up, I think it’s a caution. Put down those swords, take off that blindfold and turn around. Have a good look around. Remember where you came from: breathe the night air, dip your toes in the water, trust in your own judgement and come back to yourself.