Tarot and Psychology

starrystarrynight

I've always thought Rorschach test cards are tarot card-ish. :) Maybe there is a correlation to look into...

Minotauro

I've always thought Rorschach test cards are tarot card-ish. :) Maybe there is a correlation to look into...
I think of it the other way arounbd , I think tarot cards are rorschah test card , thats why at least I ( and I think others too ) ask " what do you see in this card? what does that mean to you ?" to the sitter =P

You already gave me the idea before. What someone like you or me need is not a psychology deck, but a psychological spread: one where we can try to analyse feelings, thoughts, maybe environment...what type of thoughts the querent needs to put in his/her mind to succeed....with no outcome. :D

perhaps we could take the dream interpretation spread as a guide for that kind of things?
shame I dont know much about dream interpretation spread either XD

the specialized deck could be of help in learning the psycoilogical aspect of things , I think the empress is for example motherhood or stuff like that ,Im not sure

and they could help as not fright the sitters lol XD so the cards could look just like regular test cards and not spooky mag stuff =P

GryffinSong

...I ( and I think others too ) ask " what do you see in this card? what does that mean to you ?" to the sitter...

This. As I understand it, most pschological thought these days is that NO symbol always means the same thing to different people. So, having set meanings for rorschach tests, for instance, simply isn't useful. The key is to get people talking about their feelings and their issues. Anything that resonates for the client can be used, whether it's art, tarot cards, ink blots, journal entries, dreams, etc.

I've done a lot of work in a group setting with a licensed clinical social worker as the guide. We do spontaneous imagery work, but we often sit around with tarot or oracle decks in between sessions (this is usually a long weekend situation, so there is "down" time). We talk about what the cards mean to us, and then when we've interpreted our own cards the others can chime in with any additional thoughts or questions we think of. It's a nice complement to the other work we do together.

KMilliron

There was a test done along these lines. Test subjects in a room. Pulled a scenic card (not sure if it was tarot or not) asked to relate to it. Most times, every picture (even preset pictures that were chosen be the testers, not the testees) people could relate to what they saw in the picture.

There are psychologists that use tarot cards in sessions. Simply having people relate to each card.

If we thought along the lines of psychology versus psychic one could easily argue that they were related. I believe them to be nearly one and the same.

Barleywine

If you know of any current literature on the subject, that would be wonderful as well, but this thread is in no way a "go do my assignment for me" thread. ;) I'm just interested in stimulating some discussion. ^_^

I don't know of anything current, but I do know of one individual who went down this road before you. Lynn M. Buess published his Master's thesis as "Tarot and Transformation" in 1973. I don't recall it being a memorable tarot book but it might be instructive from an academic standpoint as to one way a Tarot thesis might be structured. He is still around, although he seems to have branched off into numerology, and might be willing to give you some tips.

Sallie Nichols, Karen Hamaker-Zondag, Hajo Banzhaf, Rose Gwain (and probably a host of others) all wrote books on Jung and tarot (or perhaps, more accurately Jungian tarot).

newlillith

I'm just throwing my hat in the ring here too. I'm getting my masters in social work and intend at some point to use my tarot cards as a therapy tool. Not sure how I'll get there yet. I was thinking about using them in connection with spiritual counseling as part of a holistic private practice (which would include a therapist-me, a nutritionist, chiropractor or massage therapist, etc.). The idea completely fascinates me as well though I'm not brave enough to bring it up to any of my peers.

JSNYC

I was thinking about using them in connection with spiritual counseling as part of a holistic private practice (which would include a therapist-me, a nutritionist, chiropractor or massage therapist, etc.).
I think that is a fabulous idea. :thumbsup: My sister is a massage therapist that is thinking of starting her own practice and I have told her I thought she should consider using Tarot. I am a businessman and I think your idea can be very successful. Don't be shy, your peers will not be nearly as successful as you. ;)

newlillith

I think that is a fabulous idea. :thumbsup: My sister is a massage therapist that is thinking of starting her own practice and I have told her I thought she should consider using Tarot. I am a businessman and I think your idea can be very successful. Don't be shy, your peers will not be nearly as successful as you. ;)

Thanks! It's nice to hear my idea is a good one : )

nisaba

I think of it the other way arounbd , I think tarot cards are rorschah test card , thats why at least I ( and I think others too ) ask " what do you see in this card? what does that mean to you ?" to the sitter =P

<surprised> What, get them to do the reading? What are you there for? Why not just give them a deck and have done with it? I'm genuinely surprised.