The Best Lenormand Deck for a Newbie

Teheuti

French Cartomancy (LoScarabeo) is based on the Dondorf style deck and is very nice. The major problem is that it is giant sized, which is great for a class or short readings but very awkward if you want to do a Grand Tableau as you'll need a very large table. And there's no reason not to get started with a Grand Tableau almost from the beginning. It's how the Lenormand is traditionally read.

The problem with starting with cards that have extra stuff drawn or written on them is that the keywords or associations may not be the ones you'll want to use. A lot of the new deck creators are newbies themselves and have created their decks as part of their learning process (a good way to learn!). You could be picking their mistakes or personal associations along with the tradition.

Izzydunne

Teheuti said:

"The French Cartomancy is giant sized."

I guess it depends on what one calls "giant". It is a little bit larger than some traditional decks, but it is not a problem......at least for me.

"There is no reason not to get started with the Grand Tableau almost from the beginning."

There are many reasons not to read the Gran Tableau as a beginner:

1. You must learn each meaning of individual cards.
2. You must learn combinations of two cards.
3. Then learn 3 card spreads.
4. Then learn 9 card spreads.
5. Then learn the Gran Tableau.

Most folks think that more cards mean better reading, and nothing can be further from the truth. One card can yield a definite answer, and sometimes you need a few more.

Newbies make a big mistake trying to use too many cards at once, get confused and give it up. I have seen this many times.

schmedrake

Not historical at all, but for other newbies who may be interested I made a Lenormand with keywords on it and simple images to help with learning. It's called the Keywordy Lenormand. I also did a Deck of Lenormand Houses that has keywords and can be used in many ways, including as flash cards for learning basic meanings.

http://www.tierneysadler.com/p/purchasing-my-decks.html

Ryver

Not historical at all, but for other newbies who may be interested I made a Lenormand with keywords on it and simple images to help with learning. It's called the Keywordy Lenormand. I also did a Deck of Lenormand Houses that has keywords and can be used in many ways, including as flash cards for learning basic meanings.

http://www.tierneysadler.com/p/purchasing-my-decks.html

I've seen this deck and think I'm going to get it for my best friend who just couldn't connect with Tarot. I think a new system plus the keywords right on cards would help her get over her fears and anxiety of not being able to learn it. I am just waiting until she tells me she's ready.

schmedrake

Hooray! I use it all the time myself. Mostly because I'm lazy...haha. I have all the keywords memorized, but sometimes it's nice to see the lesser known meanings of a card. And, again, because I'm lazy. :D

shadowdancer

"There is no reason not to get started with the Grand Tableau almost from the beginning."

Most folks think that more cards mean better reading, and nothing can be further from the truth. One card can yield a definite answer, and sometimes you need a few more.

Newbies make a big mistake trying to use too many cards at once, get confused and give it up. I have seen this many times.

I think a newbie diving into a GT would be like giving them two driving lessons, then the keys to a Ferrari and a 3 lane highway with the words "off you go" It has a chance of not going well, or putting them off driving...........

I don't think you need to aim for a GT too soon - as you suggested, get the basics right and move up. I find I can get quite a bit out of a 3 / 5 / 9 card layout. For sure, being holistic and looking at what is going on around someone or over a period of say, 3 - 6 months a GT would be good. But I personally find that is akin to me doing a 12 month tarot reading - not something I would need to do often. Yet because it is seen as THE spread to use, I felt pressure that I should use it more than I do.

Just my two pennyworth. And also, one person may find they get what they need from 3 cards or a 9 card spread. Someone else would feel more comfortable using more cards. We are all different, and one size does not fit all.

As for the best tarot deck for a newbie?? I think it is difficult to name a particular deck. I stopped doing that when members asked for a suggestion for a tarot deck. What resonates with me may not with another. I can work with Ciro's Lenormand even though it is quite ornate. Then I realised why. I am an audible person. I say things a lot in my head (yes at times I would love to shut that up...lol) so when I see the card I actually have the name yell out in my head before I focus on the image. This is quickly followed by words or phrases that seem to want to be heart. I realised I don't focus on the image too much in the Lennie world, until after I have organised the titles and come up with a starter for 10. Only after I have done this, I then take on board anything from the image, i.e. directions faced.

Now for a visual person?? Using Ciro's deck as a starter deck could work wonderfully - or it could cause brain ache. For the reasons already cited.

I would just suggest looking online at different decks and seeing which one feels comfortable. One that doesn't tie your brain in knots, or confuse because it doesn't feel right with regards to titling or imagery used.

Ramblings over, signing off

Davina

Ryver

And there's no reason not to get started with a Grand Tableau almost from the beginning. It's how the Lenormand is traditionally read.

I like this. I have done a few 9-squares and they kept me busy and taught me a lot about how the cards work and combine in ways that two and three card or any number straight across simply does not teach. I have attempted a GT a whopping two times and was amazed at how much I was able to figure out even though I realized I wasn't pulling as much information as someone more experienced would. It also kept me busy for days. I learned a lot from the attempts and also read a lot from them so for both reasons, it was worth doing. I'm glad I did not stick too strictly to the other good advice of doing simple 2 and 3 card spreads to practice to the point of not exploring this. And now I also know from the experiences what it is I'm practicing for, what I'm trying to achieve and where the practice with the simpler spreads can be going.

I think a newbie diving into a GT would be like giving them two driving lessons, then the keys to a Ferrari and a 3 lane highway with the words "off you go" It has a chance of not going well, or putting them off driving...........

I think the GT spread could easily be the car used for those initial driving lessons. I mean, a car is an intricate machine, as much and more so as a spread of 36 cards. I suppose it could become the Ferrari on a 3-lane highway if a newbie who got her cards yesterday decides to do the GT at a professional reading claiming to be giving advice, etc However, I didn't get the impression that was the suggestion.

Teheuti said:

"The French Cartomancy is giant sized."

I guess it depends on what one calls "giant". It is a little bit larger than some traditional decks, but it is not a problem......at least for me.

That was not my experience. I think perhaps students shouldn't be pushed either way and should be given the information and options and be advised to think hard on what they know of themselves, not be discouraged by early "failures" because it's all part of learning. Some people are the types that might be discouraged early if they don't get to dive in and explore a bigger spread. It's fun and teaches a heck of a lot and I see no reason to prevent someone from trying it on for size every now and then even from the early stages.

The list you wrote above does sound like a good suggestion to pace learning but I insist that one method of learning is not always best for everyone. There will always be exceptions. For the most part, I stick with small spreads because I am building my foundation but I already pointed out, I'm not sticking with it so strictly.