"Pimp my Rider!"

Kissa

Post 19 of this thread said:
Hi there,

Rebels, wannabe artists, real artists, craftsmen and women, lonely bored depressive deck owners, let us join and start altering seriously those decks that lie around our houses, unused and discarded...

Anyone who feels to have a go at it.. Please join in!

Here is what I did this weekend: I pimped the lovely but as such totally useless Medieval Tarot by LoScarabeo.
Check the photo album on Facebook (you don't need to be registered) http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=43943&id=1647180059&l=d5b1e37f60
Man, that was fun!

I also listed some pics on the Trimmed decks thread here:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=98688&page=27&pp=10 and wrote a lot about it, then a discussion started that has nothing to do with the original thread anymore... So please Moddy, Moddy pretty please, could you cut the mentioned thread from message #263 (where all this altering delirium started) onward? Otherwise poor Pippi's thread on trimming and cutting decks feels quite altered ;-) and hijacked.

I am not familiar with moderating technical issues so I don't know if you can insert the messages here or need to create yet another new thread..

So here we go, show and tell, talk about your projects, make suggestions, share your enthusiasm, ask your questions. It is going to be fun :)

Anyhow, your turn now :)

Ready... Steady... Piiiiiiiimp! ;-)
Here are some pics of my altered LoScarabeo Medieval Tarot.
I trimmed the Majors, added some metallic stickers to make them looked like "illuminated" and I renumbered the cards (as I trimmed the borders off).

Strength is now 11, Fool has no number.

I recommend altering decks to anybody. Don't be afraid, just go ahead with it. Take a cheap and available deck that you like but never use. One that just sits on your shelf but you cannot get rid of because you never know "if one day maybe..."

And just let your inspiration flow. It will not look perfect, hell mine doesn't, I am not happy with my lousy calligraphy but I am enjoying every minute of the making. Set yourself free, completely. The cards are yours!!!!! You are not breaking any law and you might even have a blast :-D

ETA: special thanks to the Moderator who split the Trimmed decks thread, added, cut, pasted or whatever it is you did. It works well :)

Attachments

• Avril 033.jpg
    Avril 033.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 1,775
  • Avril 040.jpg
    Avril 040.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Avril 038.jpg
    Avril 038.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,376
  • Avril 037.jpg
    Avril 037.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 991
  • Avril 039.jpg
    Avril 039.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,183

Kissa

Altered LS Medieval Tarot more pics

The rest of the pics :)

Attachments

• Avril 034.jpg
    Avril 034.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 913
  • Avril 035.jpg
    Avril 035.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 823
  • Avril 036.jpg
    Avril 036.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 803

Miss Divine

I love how you pimped those cards Kissa!

Those metallic stickers make the cards look so unique.

Debra

Oh BRAVO, Kissa! Your cards look fantastic!

shadowdancer

Kissa they look awesome!

The stickers really work well. Can I ask where you got them, and whether they affect the cards when he deck is stored? Hard to explain what I mean, but do they have an embossed look, which presses into the back of the card on top when they are stored?

You have a good eye for knowing where to place the sticker, and how to really enhance the card with them.

Davina

Kissa

Yeah, thanks for the comments ladies!!! :)

I finished it now, and here is a link to some more pics. It is on Facebook BUT I made the album public so I hope it works :)
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=43943&id=1647180059&l=d5b1e37f60

I changed some ugly looking numbers (Emperor, Lovers, Chariot, Hermit and Moon were just terrible) and now I am very satisfied with the final result.
Today I made Courts and Aces as well. I'm over with it now and can start to use it (oh...?!). I will not go ahead with the minors as, like often with LS decks, the card meanings obviously came from Mother Ship Outer Space and I won't bother learning them.

ABOUT YOUR QUESTIONS:

The stickers I used are the ones you can see on the FB album cover: size A5 (ooops, that's European!) of golden stickers that are pre-cut. I know here people use them a lot to make their own wedding invitation cards for example. Sounds familiar? Ahaa, the official name is "border/corner peel off stickers" :)

So yes, the cards get thicker but not that much, the whole deck still fit in the box though without the (not very useful) LWB.

I put the stickers in place carefully and maintained them for a few seconds which seems to be efficient, though I played with the cards after, they don't show damage.
I will not dare to shuffle like a mad woman though since I don't want to take any chance. Normal shuffling while keeping the pack quite loosely in my hands looks fine.

Now I hope the link works.

Please note that I am not bragging or looking for compliments (though they are always welcome :p ). I just want to share this wonderful new experience :) Like any handicraft project, it empties your head of all the negative sh**, it is liberating, empowering, FUN and the hours go by soooo fast (which is good when the kids are at their dad's).

Guess who must do their tax declaration now since they were too busy playing with scissors and stickers for the last two days...? I wonder how they would like it, in the tax office, if I put some golden borders on their boring form... ?! ;-)

AJ

Special congratulations on making constructive use of your time vs. what you were considering doing...beautiful job, makes me want to run over and dig through my MIL's sticker box.

Kissa

:) :) :)

Self-pity is not even half as funny as trimming and pimping cards ;-)

Do not hesitate AJ, try it as well!!! Sure you have a deck you don't use but still like, a mass-market one... I am planning on doing some more crazy things like that with my daughters, I am sure they'll love it.

PS: what is a "MIL" ????

AJ

mother-in-law

My trade/sell/out of here decks are all at home and I don't know when I'll be back there, but I'm sure going to look at those decks as pimp material. I'm sure there are one or two that would make a good project