Flip or Turn the cards?

generation

Sometimes I do it both ways in the same reading! I just decide, as I touch the card, what "feels" right.

ragsrulz

New to groups

Hello,
I am new to the group and wish to say hello.
I use reverse in the RW deck. I find it to be accurate most times when I read them in the reversed position. It is how I learned. But I think you have to do what is intuitively right for you as a reader, novice or pro. There have been readings that for some reason I have felt not to do the reversed...no obvious explanation, just the feel at that time.

contradiction

hey new2, i agree that comparing the reading of the two decks, is just too much info at once. but i must add it could be argued that maybe the rws meaning was correct as it was laid, and that maybe you were misreading the thoth. who knows. could go either way. having said that, as for your question of flipping or turning, when i was first learning, the lady that i was learning from, always picked up the deck from the querent, then turned them so that she was looking at the deck the same way the querent was. (from the same end.) then as she laid them out she would turn them over (like a book). it is more natural for me to flip cards, (do it that way when playing a card game), so therefore i have never turned the cards around, in other words when i take the cards from the querent, i am looking at the cards upside down based on the way they were holding them. that way when i flip, i am actually making them right side up, (even if it is reversed, i am still looking at it the same way the querent would have been). but , i don't think it matters how you do it, as long as you are consisent. when i do a reading for myself, i will turn the whole deck around just before flipping the cards, that way when they are turned face up, i am looking at them the way they were while shuffling.

tarotbear

Turn them side to side

In my book I promote turning the cards side-to-side like the pages of a book, not flipping them end over end.

This is because I do not get reversed cards when I shuffle and to turn them side-to-side maintains the upright cards. If I was to flip them end over end, it would reverse every single card!

Do whatever is best for you - every single time.

rainwolf

horizontal

I traditionally go with turning the cards like a book, because that is how they would be seen opposite of you, it is preserving the dignity of the card, while flipping it completely changes it. But, go with what you feel is comfortable, tahts the most important thing.

Grigori

To add confusion to the mix:

I've seen people who flip the cards (i.e. reverse them) after the querent has shuffled the deck while sitting opposite the reader. The cards then appear facing the reader, the same way they would have faced the querent if not flipped (i.e. reverse the false reversal created when the querent hands the dck to the reader)

I hope this makes some sense...

tarotbear

confusion and explanation in one swell foop!

The reason I flip cards side to side - in view of similia's answer- is that I sit the Querent next to me, not across from me. That way they see the cards as I see them, and not upside down.

garfield

for me i think it all depends on the user. where you got accustomed, then you go for it!

VO Tarot Girl

flipping vs turning

Hi;
I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this question! It is confusing.

I use the Robin Wood deck, that I got this year - 2006. But I noticed on this message board in 2004 that Talisman said they used Robin Wood too and she doesn't suggest using reveresed cards. Yet the little booklet that came with my 2006 version of Robin Wood does have reversed descriptions with each card, after listing the upright meaning.

So I've always turned, but recently wondered if I should be flipping.

VO Tarot Girl

flipping vs turning

Oops, sorry. Talisman said that in 01 not 04 as I thought. So maybe it's a whole new Robin Wood deck that was issued, that Does have reveresed meanings.