Liber 418 study group - 28th Aethyr: BAG

Aeon418

The oddly conflicting and contradictory nature of this Aethyr, (open or close?) also reminds me of the myth of the fall of Satan and his angels, cast down to earth and the division of the Angelic world. Perhaps this echoes on the personal scale conflicts of meeting and integrating the less pleasant bits of ourselves.

Probably off on one again...
I suspect you are picking up on the vibe of the attribution of this Aethyr to Hod - Mercury. I find this Aethyr very mercurial. Some of it is overt and obvious, but other parts are more veiled.

The guardian appears in contrasting colours of black and white and has the shinning belly of a fish. Fish are sacred to Mercury. The outward actions are those of a guardian blocking the way to the Great Mystery, and yet his/her 'speech' is literally peppered with references to Saturn and Binah. This guy just can't keep a secret.

Near the end of the vision he cautions Crowley against looking too deeply into words and letters, and then immediately after this he gives him a word puzzle to chew on. :laugh: Very contradictory and Mercurial.

Aeon418

PXINBAL
FOCISNI
RAPOLXO
Crowley derived the name, LIXIPSP, by counting along the first line right to left and the second line from left to right. But he also counted the third line from left to right. The instructions of the angel suggest that the third line should be counted in the same direction that it was written.
It's just occurred to me why Crowley may have chosen to read the third name from left to right. Only one letter from the second name is used, and it is the letter "I" right in the middle. That means the name, FOCISNI, could be counted from either end. Counting the letters of the third name from left to right would balance the counting of the first name from right to left. But what is the effect?

The name Crowley derived, LIXIPSP, has a value of 553. Counting the final name in the opposite direction gives, LIXIPSL, which enumerates to 552.

But here's the kicker...

The Enochian letter P is traditionally attributed (i.e. Golden Dawn) to the sign of Cancer and hence Cheth which is 8. For reasons unknown Crowley swapped this for Leo (Teth = 9). But if we use the traditional attributions it does not matter which way we count the final name because both, LIXIPSP, and, LIXIPSL, enumerate to 551. :bugeyed:

So what does 551 tally with? *drumroll* Answer: Not a lot. :mad: :laugh:

Aeon418

It's just occurred to me why Crowley may have chosen to read the third name from left to right. Only one letter from the second name is used, and it is the letter "I" right in the middle.
No, I was right in the first place. Crowley counted the second name from left to right to obtain the twelfth letter, S. That leaves Crowley's, LIXIPSP, looking a little suspect.

LIXIPSL is the correct name. But the numerical value hinges on whether we count P as Leo or Cancer. 552 or 551?