Golden Tarot (Kat Black) Revisited

delizt

I love this deck! When I heard it wasn't available in "matte" anymore, I bought another in the "glossy" to trim....but actually, I love it glossy as well! No trimming needed, in fact, I think the images "pop" a teeny bit more with the glossy printing...but both are stunning and usually detest the glossy finishes....

Thoughtful

This was the very first tarot l bought when setting out on my tarot journey. Such a gentle beautiful deck. l so enjoyed learning with this, it became a very good reading deck for me. The imagery is so expressive, love the collaged artwork which is beautifully done.
Though l have progressed to other types of decks, the Golden will always be special and l would not part with it ever.

l did buy a recent 2nd copy but did not like the glossiness of it, it seemed too modern and shiny for such a medieval type deck, much prefer my matte version. The glossy sister is now re-homed with a friend who adores it.

To add: The High Priestess in this deck is my all time favourite.

Freddie

I agree with you Thoughtful as 'The High Priestess' has been done very well in this deck. I always picture her as having red hair like many in this deck. I love the big putty tat by her side. I find 'Strength' to be a very magnetic image that I could just look into forever. I am amazed by how well done it is as it is so full of mystery and enchantment.

I like the book Kat Black wrote for the kit, but I still refuse to read the source of the art as I don't want to kill the mystery. I think this is why 'Golden' works better for me than 'Touchstone' as I knew right away where much of the 'Touchstone' art came from. I like the 'hands on' meanings Kat gives for the cards and how she doesn't try to revent the wheel with her companion book. I like honesty and straght talk and this book gives it without any New Age fluff or gratuitous munbo-jumbo.

Freddie

Attachments

• Major02.jpg
    Major02.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 212
  • Major08.jpg
    Major08.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 208

Thoughtful

There are so many cards in this deck that l can really connect with individually, there is so much depth and meaning to them. The Strength card is a case in point to pick one, Kat Black has added so much more to this image rather than just the lion and the girl. So l agree with you Freddie about its mystery and it warrants much meditation.

l also have the Touchstone which l do not use very much, l must say its a beautiful deck but l do not get the same connection with it as l do the Golden. Perhaps because the images to me are like looking at flat portraits, whereas the Golden is so full of depth and life.

Le Fanu

I always wondered what those odd curls are in the lion's mane in the Strength card.

My local magic shop has an old "Printed in China" Golden Tarot. I'm tempted to get it before the glossy ones take over the world.

Miss Divine

I'm tempted to get it before the glossy ones take over the world.

What, like all the DV decks? :laugh:

I'd probably get it. The matte version is so much better!

Thoughtful

l so agree, get the matte version its better by far than the plastic looking ones. The matte in my opinion goes better with the imagery and feel of the deck. It lends that air of age.
l had hoped that my 2nd purchase would have been matte and was sorely disappointed when l saw this new printing.

To add: In reply to LF's pondering on the curls on the lions mane in the Strength card. l always see it as protection, a shield if you like, and if you look closer at the image you will see a band going round the lions chest holding it in place. So even the strongest of us are vulnerable at times. Its very telling its around the lions neck, for that is the weakest part of any animal under attack the predator always goes for the kill in the neck.
That's my take, maybe LF you see something different.

Freddie

I broke down this morning and began to read about the sources of the images. I am not sorry I did as it has done nothing but confirm my positive feelings about this pack.

Here is a link to a source image by Hans Memling. Those faint of heart may want to sit down while looking at this. Blown away is an understatement.

The back design is quite interesting as it looks to have crosses on it within a mosaic type of pattern that resemble the face of a lion. I find the design quite compelling.

Freddie

Attachments

• memling-st-ursula-shrine-1489.jpg
    memling-st-ursula-shrine-1489.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 185

Thoughtful

Thanks for the link Freddie, it is a beautiful image though l cannot see the lion, maybe l need better reading glasses :p
What stood out for me immediately was the image Kat has used for her world card. Whenever this card turns up in a reading l see it literally, a really caring, motherly figure who wants to take everyone under their wing. It has been a successful interpretation in many of my readings, rather than its usual connotations. Given that our world and the universe we inhabit is our 'home' and what some like to call 'mother earth', puts even more of the emphasis on how l read this particular card. God's Universe enveloping us, giving life to everything, caring and nurturing.
Like you l did not want to spoil the illusion of this tarot and see how Kat came to get the images she has used, but seeing your link l think it has really lent more depth, age and meaning.
As l mentioned earlier it was my very first tarot many years ago, and still today l feel the mystery and see the sumptuousness of the images.
l did have a time where suddenly this tarot went dead on me, probably over used it too much and we got a little tired of each other. That of course sends you on the good old buying tarots merry go round. But l did come back to the golden and all was well. We just needed a break.
Thanks for this thread Freddie its good to share thoughts on this deck.