The Antique Lenormand

tarot heart

I like the images in the coffin. Love the violets, nice touch! However, some people prefer to have a cloth of some kind over the coffin and I forget just now why that is. Do the steps have some significance? I like them. These cards are just....wow...amazing.

Bernice

OH! dear, I should never post after midnight when I'm really tired. It's the wrong coffin card .
Same layout and coffin (pleased that you like it tarot heart :)) but the temptation to stick crosses in the field and add a butterfly is so overwhelming that I have 5(!) Coffin cards, all with butterfly and crosses (nearly had a crypt!). It's much the same as before.

But the artwork of the unknown french deck is quite sparse..... and the coffin is about something that has ended. So very sparsley :))) here are the french soldiers, I think they're soldiers, carrying it away - with the violets at their feet which have a similar message to the butterfly. They're going up steps because whatever has ended is being taken up and away, or up and onward depending how the lenormand deck is read. That's also why there isn't a cloth, you can see which way it's going.

Bee.

Attachments

• coffin.jpg
    coffin.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 110

tarot heart

It's still a great card, but I, too, would love to see a butterfly...perhaps among the violets?? ;)

Moonbow

Hi Bee, there seems a lot of sky in this card and maybe that's good for reading it i.e. an ending and what comes next is unknown. Would a bit of sunset go amiss in this card then again perhaps it wouldn't sit right, just an idea. The blankness maybe exactly what you are after. Look at me, I think I've read this card!

Bernice

Yes I agree it's rather austere/bleak, but an ending is an end. However there is a very wee bit of humour (the french deck is rather tongue-in-cheek). The fellow with the lightest end of the coffin is bounding up the stairs, the poor little chap with the heaviest end is catching his breath at the bottom. Maybe something could be read into this for visual readers (or not.... :))

I think you've got it Moonbow, blank = bleak = nothing more = end.

Tarot heart, although I'd love to have the butterfly, I'm not sure if that isn't a 'modern' take on transformation.... and perhaps wouldn't be used in artwork of the period in the unknown deck. (?)

Bee x

Moonbow

Yes I agree it's rather austere/bleak, but an ending is end. However there is a very wee bit of humour (the french deck is rather tongue-in-cheek). The fellow with the lightest end of the coffin and is bounding up the stairs, the poor little chap with the heaviest end is catching his breath at the bottom. Maybe something could be read into this for visual readers (or not.... :))

Quite a different take on the coffin card which does bring a bit of humour, less cold and austere, I like that. This french deck you mention, what is it, where is it?

Bernice

Here's posts about the unknown french deck. Pics are at Trionfi. Love the artwork in it. Wish I knew what the missing cards were.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=108547

Bee x

OOPS! It's gone! Where did the thread go to???

LATER: Found it, the threads/posts must have been moved, or something....

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1681247&postcount=3

However, the pic-links in the post arn't working properly, maybe a problem at Trionfi? The deck number is 0593 if anyone want to try and load it. Maybe the link doesn't support my browser, I'm using Firefox.

Moonbow

Oh yes! The fish in the clog! :)

Bernice

As has been said, the card does look bare/bleak........ so I've added a tree. But not any tree.

It's a weeping willow, apparently Napoloeons' favourite tree during his latter time in captivity. He was buried under it. Thought it appropriate for this card.

Yes or no?

Bee

Attachments

• Coffin+tree.jpg
    Coffin+tree.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 118

Moonbow

Perfect!

I appreciated the research that you are putting into this deck too Bee. :)