The Search For The Perfect Deck.

TheOld

I'v been searching for years to find the perfect deck to me, Tarot card that will fit with my personality, with my needs.
Had start with riders waite, buy 30 deck or so and have make 10 more myself, it was really a long road, never satisfied, allways wanting something more, something better, someting .....

I'v finaly found that i can't have one perfect deck cause there's too much different part in me, but have found 5 perfect deck or so.
Lot of frustration and craving are Gone and i'm pretty happy about that.
Maybe i'll look for other deck in the futur but things are less intense and will be much more easyer :)

For now my perfect decks are:
Le Tarot du voyage de l'Ame -> To Meditate and access pure seeing
Symbolon Oracle -> To remember and work on different archetype of me
Tao Oracle -> To understand the nature of the universe, to see how things are
Mme Lenormand Astro -> To do Cartomency and play with multiple corespondency system
Tarrot Classic -> To have plain card and access simplicity

I got lot of other deck but these are my perfect decks ;)
This adventure gave me lot of emotions and thinking, was kind of like an obsession, but so what.... it also gave me lot of understanding of myself !!!
The Adventure was worth it !!!
New adventure seems to be to go even deeper in Me with these decks with much more concentration, that seems to be fun and i'm sure it will be worth it ;)

The Search for the perfect deck is finish for today but who know what tomorrow will show !!!!

Love, Light & Power
Omeada

SalomeTorera

I'm still searching for mine but I think that Victoria Regina is THE one for me. I used to have Lo Scarabeo decks and they didn't speak to me with such clarity. So yes, for now at least Victoria Regina would be my perfect deck :)

jackdaw*

I'm of the school of thought that there truly is no one "perfect deck". I could make one up with a mishmash of cards from various decks (the Fool from the Universal Waite, the High Priestess from the Tarot of Prague, Eight of Wands from the Golden Tarot, Temperance from the World Spirit Tarot, Queen of Cups from the Hanson-Roberts, etc., etc.). But if I had to pick ONE deck as the "perfect" one, the closest IMO is the Tarot of Prague.

QofP

jmd

In early 2002, when the community of these Forums were far smaller, I wrote that, for me:

In order for a deck to be a Tarot deck and perfect, it would need the following elements to satisfy me:

1 - it would be generally true to the Marseilles designs, Roman numbering and appelations;

2 - it would have quality artwork. A reprint of a 17th century deck is great for study purposes, but it needs to be freshly re-presented;

3 - the style needs to be both consistent, and yet manage to encapsulate the essence each disparate card represents.​

I still agree with each of these points, though not all that I wrote in that post (in a thread called What makes a Tarot deck perfect for you?).

You may perhaps also be interested in an earlier thread on a similar topic, titled: Looking for the perfect deck.... In addition, there was a very interesting thread some time back that touched on the same topic under the heading Intégrisme.

The 78th Fool

I will never find 'The' perfect deck - it will never exist for me. However, I have come to discover that my collection is filled with a large number of perfect decks in another sense. these are all decks that resonate powerfully with me. Rather than feel uncomfortable with the variances from my 'ideal' I have come to appreciate their uniqueness and what it can teach me. Working with them becomes an exercise in stepping out of my version of reality into someone elses. At times like these I often learn the most.

I have created my own deck (The Butler Tarot) and I'm halfway through creating a second (The Son Tarot). There are times to read with these but more often than not, the very fact that I have included the symbolism I want to see can make them a little too comfortable. I have decided therefore that my 'perfect' tarot deck will always work better for someone else!!

Returning to the more realistic 'perfect' decks in my collection there are too many to list here and that's a lovely position to be in! At the moment however I'm getting a great deal from The Gay Tarot and the plain old Rider Waite. All I can say is that each deck is a jewel - celebrate difference!

Chris. xx

Emeraldgirl

I don't have a perfect deck but there are a few that have come close. I think my crieria would be:

1. The artwork. it MUST appeal to me visually.

2. I like RWS decks so it's preferable but not essential.

3. The deck (or at least the info on it companion book etc) must be in English.

The decks that have come close to perfect are:
Gilded.
Buckland Romani
Golden

rodashod

I believe the search for the perfect deck is much like the search for the perfect mate, car, pendulum, furniture, ect, ect, ect... Some people will never be satisfied. They are consumers, and consumers in essence cannot be satisfied... If you cannot find a deck that "suits" you, and you cannot make a deck that "suits" you, in my opinion your attatchment to the tarot is purely material...

Try something else, all tarot speaks the same language, only with different accents...

jmd

Perhaps, however, some people have not yet ever been satisfied because, like their search for a 'perfect mate, car, pendulum, furniture, etc', they have already experienced the difference between a 'mate' that is caring as opposed to brutal, a car that drives like a Saab as opposed to a Mazda, furniture that is not only functional, but beautiful, etc..

These are not simply a result of 'material attachment', but rather of refined discernment.

In essence, a human being is a human being, a car is a car, etc, yet there are clear differences between each instance.

Some decks, though beautiful, are perhaps the equivalent of a piece of furniture that may live wonderfully in an art museum, but its functionality is so poor as to make it a poor candidate indeed for what it claims to be.

Some decks have so many overlays as to render them the equivalent of a car with so many gadgets as to take away its driving pleasure.

Some decks are simply caricatures, utilising a framework and inserting within such anything the creator feels like.

Tarot indeed speaks the same language with different accents, but not all claims to Tarot may in fact be Tarot, and not all accents reflect a deeper proximity to the understanding reflected in its imagery.

Little Baron

jmd said:
Some decks, though beautiful, are perhaps the equivalent of a piece of furniture that may live wonderfully in an art museum, but its functionality is so poor as to make it a poor candidate indeed for what it claims to be.

Some decks have so many overlays as to render them the equivalent of a car with so many gadgets as to take away its driving pleasure.

Some decks are simply caricatures, utilising a framework and inserting within such anything the creator feels like.

Perfectly put. I can totally relate to what you have said there Jmd, and it reminds me of some decks I have used in the past, but that I never found particularly 'usable'. I am finding, these days, that the less 'clutter', the better, when I read the cards.

LB