Who's down with the pips?

Dewrust

Hey, I was browsing through the reviews of the decks here at Aeclectic Tarot and I happened upon the review by Solandia on the Amber Tarot. She really didn't agree with the pips in the deck.

Lately, I've been thinking pips would be really good for me. I think pips are lacking in my life. One reason I really want to get a pip deck is because I think they would be hard to read. Isn't that reason enough? I really want to tackle a pip deck. Being able to sit down and give a great reading using a deck with a deck that raises curiousity in the minds of viewers or in the deck reader. Sometimes, when I read for others a sort of rubber-necking effect comes up when someone sees a really ugly depiction of pain in a card.

The effect a plain, for lack of a better word, pip card upon a curious observer would be completely opposite. For one, none of my relatives would snort out a comment about a card being ill fate and thus infusing their own preconceptions into the atmosphere. I usually shrug those comments away. Two, the pips would have me working with a completely different approach to the card and my interpretation of their meanings. I think that a pip card would highten that questing atmosphere.

Sure, they're not as spectacular as some other good decks that are largely favored over the pips. But, It's my next step, decidedly. I know there are other readers out there that feel the same way I do. I've seen readers like these. I won't forget the time I saw a woman in a coastal shopping center (Seaport Village, San Diego) reading a very plain deck of playing cards. From what I spied, she had very good reactions from the people that were brave enough to stop at her t.v. tray table and large red-white stripped sunshade.

What decks do you pip-card-readers read? Is it your favorite or one of the favorites you have? What do you get from the readings with pip decks that are different from your readings with all-around painted decks?

Fulgour

Hello Dewrust

Webster's Dictionary defines "Pip" cards as those marked
with the numbers 2 through 10. Aces and Face cards are
not technically pips and of course in Tarot there's Majors.

A deck having no illustrations that would "raise curiosity"
but still be of the 78 card Tarot pattern may not exist...
This is a good question. Which deck would be the best?

Welcome to Aeclectic :) Tarot

Sophie

Hello Dewrust, welcome to Aeclectic!

Speaking as one who made the transition from fully illustrated to non-scenic pip decks (without ever abandoning the former - indeed I love some of my scenic decks), I can heartily recommend the move! It has revived my reading, sharpened my skills, pushed my imagination and intuition - not to mention my intellect, because of course, I had to go looking for those numerology correspondences, those sacred geometry shapes...etc. and slowly come to my own conclusions as to which worked with the cards - and more importantly, in any given reading.

Now as to which deck to start with: I went straight to the grandfather of non-scenic decks, the Tarot of Marseille. There are several modern versions of it, depending on your taste - and some reproductions of ancient versions too. My personal recommendations would be:

- Le Veritable Tarot de Marseille, by Kris Hadar (avaiable from Tarot Garden), if you like subdued colours and pure tradition;
- Tarot de Marsella, by Rodes and Sanchez, available on tarotdemarsella.com, if you like warmer and brighter colours and a deck based on several ancient Marseille decks;
- Tarot de Marseille, reproduction of the Conver deck by Heron ed. I think Tarot Garden have it - not sure. That one is a lovely little photoreproduction of a deck in the Bibliothèque Nationale de France.

One you have broken yourself in with the Marseille, the whole wide world of non-scenic decks is open to you.

westsidegirlygirl

You mean of course unillustrated minors, right? I always understood unillustrated minors to be "pips," as well - and by unillustrated, I imagine you mean illustrated with only geometric arrangements of the suit elements, and little recognizable symbolism to anyone who isn't well versed in the deck, or Tarot in general.

The only one I own is Crowley's Thoth deck. People either love it or hate it. I can't read with it, precisely because of the pip cards. The one problem you may encounter with this deck is that there are keywords stamped on them - "success," "worry," "change," so that the people looking over your shoulder will knowingly nod - "AH! 'cruelty!' "

You can always cut the borders off, but there are plenty of others. Tarot de Marsailles, of which there are several versions, is another deck with minimal illustration on the minors. You might like that one.

Westside

TheOld

Yeah, i also Love the Hadar Marseille reproduction !!!

Love
Omeada

Sophie

westsidegirlygirl said:
You mean of course unillustrated minors, right? I always understood unillustrated minors to be "pips," as well - and by unillustrated, I imagine you mean illustrated with only geometric arrangements of the suit elements, and little recognizable symbolism to anyone who isn't well versed in the deck, or Tarot in general
My Marseille pack is fully illustrated. The Minor Arcana are not illustrated with scenes containing people - so I call them non-scenic, when I want to describe them at all.

Umbrae

Swiss 1jj
Major Tom’s Tarot de Marseilles
Le Veritable Tarot de Marseille (Hadar)
Heron Tarot de Marseille
Ancient Tarots of Bologna (Zoni)

Fulgour

"The Prediction Tarot"

designed by Bernard Stringer
illustrated by Peter Richardson

There are some very nice modern decks.
The "Prediction" is 20 years old now but
so are my shoes. There's lots of decks.

Nydia

The previous posts are showing you the right way if you want a traditional or historical deck. I thought of a new deck with unillustrated pip cards for you, though, The Labyrinth Tarot, by Luis Royo.http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/labyrinth/

I prefer having all the cards illustrated. However, if the artwork appeals to me, I would be much more likely now, then I used to be, to buy an unillustrated pips tarot anyway.

Sophie

Another good modern non-scenic pack (again - they are illustrated- simply not with people and/or scenes) is the Crystal Tarot. It is wonderful, dreamlike. I love reading with it. Beautiful geometry of the pips and some interesting suit/element correspondences.