Which decks do your readees choose when you read for others

Which decks do you use to read for others?

• Archeon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baroque Bohemian Cats

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • DruidCraft

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Fey (Lo Scarabeo)

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Gilded

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Goddess

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Golden

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Haindl

• International Icon

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Marseille (any version)

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Morgan-Greer

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Mythic

• Osho Zen

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Tarot of the Old Path

• Tarot of Prague

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Quest

• Rider-Waite-Smith (any version)

Votes: 31 45.6%
  • Robin Wood

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Sacred Circle

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Sakki-Sakki

• Sharman-Caselli

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spiral

• Tarot of the Spirit

• Thoth

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Voyager

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • World Spirit

• Other

Votes: 34 50.0%

• Total voters

MaryElTarotFan

I read mostly just for family and friends and it mostly just depends on what and how I am feeling the time of the reading. I do not read with the Golden Tarot yet as I am still getting a feel for this deck but I think when we understand each other, this will become one of my favorite decks to use. There is a deck called Tarot of the Ages that works very well for me. I like the way The Major Arcana and each of the Minor suits depicts a different culture and the abundance of people depicted on the cards. Each of the Minor suits in this deck readily feels like the energy it is representing. The Swords feel totally different from the Cups for instance, immediately so. Some people have complained that the busy photocollages of the Voyager deck gave them headaches but otherwise if the querant feels eager to dive very deeply into Self then I like using this deck. I knew someone who literally could not be in the same room with the Thoth deck(long, tragic story) so I cautiously test the waters before springing this Deck on people. I like using this deck for people deeply involved in the Magickal Realms, not for mundane questions. The Spirituality of the querant might inspire me to reach for The Book of Doors, the Norse Deck, Tarot of the Orishas, or the New Orleans Voodoo Deck. So it really all depends for me

catlin

My reading selection

I usually take various decks with me when I offer readings:
- RW because it is the most popular here in Germany
- Crowley because it is the second most popular here
- Legend because it works great in love and friendships (and clients like the soft colouring)
- Marseille based one because it is "classic"
- one for Wiccan interested clients

The decks most chosen by clients are the RW and the Legend.

DarkElectric

I use several mentioned in the poll, but found that one which is chosen right across the board, by those whom I would consider to be "Mainstream" folks, (who, by the way, have always wanted to have their cards read, but were terrified to do so...) The Connolly deck.

My adventurous clients, who are either into non traditional spirituality, or are hardcore tarot fans, find this one a little sugary. But I've introduced positive experiences with tarot to many new people, (many of whom have admitted that they would be frightened off by a more intense deck,) by using the Connolly to do their readings.
These people tell me they find the colours comforting. They like the 'Camelot' appearance of the deck, and Paul Connolly's drawing style is appealing.

Umbrae has mentioned more than once, the essence of the reader/client relationship.

The importance of building trust cannot be underestimated.

Isn't this another aspect of the mission that we, as readers, need to consider? To dispell fears, myths, bad press, and misconceptions surrounding the tarot?

When I get a new client, and the first thing they say to me is - "I've never had a reading before. Please, I don't want to hear anything bad!"-I pull out the Connolly. So far, success every time!

la-luna

I read for family friends colleges and everyone who asks me and that I want to read for.

The decks I use most often are

-Rider Waite Tarot
-the Marseilles
(Those 2 are the best known in Belgium and very popular with my elder clients)

-Haindl
-Gay tarot
-Golden Tarot of the Tsar
(Those are my most used and also personal preferences)

And for my more adventurous friends:
-Bosch Tarot
-Londa Tarot
-Margarete Petersen Tarot
-Vampire Tarot Deck

But I have always at least 3 decks to chose from and stimulate them to also look at other decks and not go back to the one I used the last them for them, and sometimes it works .

Jewel

I only read for friends, my family would rather die than have a tarot reading *LOL*. I use the Fey and the Cosmic Tribe. I only checked the Fey on the poll, because I voted before I read your instruction that we could check more than one. As you can tell I do things prior to reading instructions *LOL*.

Trogon

I use about 10 to 12 decks ...

on a more or less regular basis.

A couple of my favorites that aren't on this list; Röhrig Tarot, Egyptian Tarot (L.S.) and the Cosmic Tarot. Well, the Cosmic Tarot I just got and haven't done a reading with yet... but I think it's going to be a favorite! ;)

EminemsAngelBaby

I read for the public once a week in the lounge where I work. I usually bring 3 to 4 decks with me and usually(not always, there are sometimes I instinctively go with a deck I feel is right for the reading) give the sitter the choice of deck for the reading. I ask them to choose a deck they feel drawn to for the particular subject.

I always bring the Buckland Romani and RWS, then either the Fey or Housewives, sometimes both. Of these the Buckland Romani is the most chosen deck, followed by the RWS.

kayne

I really only give the people I do readings for a choice of the two decks I feel most comfortable reading with, the Cosmic Tribe and The World Spirit.

Since most people are a little afraid of all the nudity in the Cosmic Tribe they usually choose the World Spirit by default. :p

Emeraldgirl

Of the decks on the list I usually use one of the following:

Druidcraft
Gilded
Goddess
Golden
Radiant RWS
Original RWS

and under the Other section:

Buckland Romany
Russian tarot of St Petersburg

As a side note I have a friend who is waiting for me to get to know the Archeon so that can be "her" read for me to read with. We both fell in love with the judgement card.

Sophie

Marseille, BBC, Prague, RWS, Roehrig (very popular that one - though I avoid it for practical questions), Haindl, DruidCraft. I usually give people the choice unless I only have one deck on me, and sometimes I will pull a few cards from another deck as well. I almost always pull at least 2 or 3 cards from the Marseille. For fun reads I might use the Housewives; the BBC is fun to read with, but it's also very direct! I like to use the Crystal for others as well, but it's not great for practical questions (a bit like the Roehrig). Until a year ago I had read exclusively with the Mythic & the Robin Wood for 5 years solid (before that - the RWS & the Thoth, but the latter only for myself).

On AT the choice is vaster, because I will often try out a deck here. Recently I've used the Gothic Tarot of Vampires, the Ancient Egyptian & the Gay Tarot.

The Thoth I very rarely use to read for others, though I might start. Other decks I have used almost exclusively for myself (with some exceptions) are the Secret Forest (I've only used it once for someone else - it was good, I think), the Alchemical (ditto), the Sakki-sakki (although I can imagine using it for others), the New Orleans Voodoo, the Shining Tribe.