Help me understand the Queen of Cups vs. the Princess of Cups

jediknight

From what I can tell, their differences are very subtle. Both are about intuitiveness, harmony, and emotion. Perhaps the Princess is the more youthful version, dancing about? And the Queen is the more serene, more maternal version? I can research in my DuQuette book, but learning from dialogue is helpful too : )

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks.

isthmus nekoi

In terms of elements, Princess is earth of water while Queen is water of water.

Queen is mysterious, highly receptive/reflective. In the BOT she's described as associated with "dreaminess, illusion and tranquility."

Princess is clearer, more solid, as the BOT says, "crystalized." She's far more straightforward. The BOT says the Princess is "infinitely gracious. All sweetness, all voluptuousness, gentleness, kindness and tenderness..."

memries

This seems to me that the Queen of Cups is a emotional, affectionate, caring person who has learned some self control and discrimination over the years.

The Princess of Cups may be all the virbrant things that make her a Princess but may be a bit flighty in her emotional relationships. She is younger and so has not curtailed herself as much in sorting out where she should place her affections.

Just my opinions of course.

jediknight

insights

thanks isthmus and memries for the insight. It helps my understanding. I will further read about it too : )

Tzabaoth

The queen to me is very serene, quiet, reflective. She lives in her emotions and she's very sensitive to people and events around her. She's easily affected by the collective mood of other people. If everyone's upset, she's upset. If everyone is upbeat and happy, she is also happy. Or perhaps her apparent happiness is just to keep herself from bringing down the party. She is someone to talk to and reminisce. She's emotionally supportive, though she may be too idle to be an active influence or physically help.

The princess on the other hand brings love and emotion into the physical world. She is sensual, romantic, sweet, and caring. She is highly affectionate. She's the girl waiting for her prince charming, pretending to be a princess to be rescued. She dreams of romance and love etc. She's the girl that all they guys want to be with and who all the girls want to be. Sometimes she can be overly altruistic thinking that romance and love make the world turn. She can be idle, indecisive. She can be panicky, weak, lack heart and easily manipulated, soft.

jediknight

Thank you for that very vivid description. It feels pretty right on.
It sums it up well I think.

oraclearcane

Amazing information about the Queen and Princess of cups

I just wanted to tell you guys that I think you're amazing for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us!!!

ravenest

I often like to see the Queen and Princess in a literal way. The P has all the potential of the Q but not yet in a fully realised form. She is still influenced by all the other things around her (as we are when we are younger) other than the job at hand. She can go the Q way but also, being as yet 'undifferentiated' to a degree, she has a more open choice. She needs to beware that she isn't being led away from her path.

The Q is more stabilised and has settled down to the job (and her will) at hand.

I can see where I.N. is coming from above but I see it a little different, perhaps more in line with memries ideas above. I think the P of C can easily be carried away on a tide of outside influence, love/sex pheremones (read 'in love') to 'come to' with quiet a surprise to herself how she ever got there / in that situation. She can be swept away quiet easily. Where as the Q. 'uses' this energy (to get trance, vision, intuition) as a tool, she is not swept fully away but sits on the throne (she still has a long rope attached to the moring post) so doesnt loose her positioning or OVERALL perspective whereas the P hasnt developed the knack of this yet and she can just get fully swept away (or 'swept off her feet' as they say).

gthradecky

What is she trying to tell me?

You folk have much insight and I thank you for sharing!

I had got somewhat estranged from my THOTH in the past three or so years and about a month ago I put them back under my pillow to get ourselves re-acquainted, I would also occasionally put them on my chest for heart vibes to get in there as well.

On 11/10/07 I tossed my first Celtic Cross in years and the accuracy, eloquence and discernment of the throw was chilling.

My question and point is the first card down was the Princess of Cups, I'm pretty sure it's me but I'm wondering if you all have any insight in how to interpret that for a male over 40? I'm kinda perplexed.

I want to get the most out of this reading as possible so my deck knows I respect it and am not jerking it's pud chain I think I've got most of the rest of the card meanings sussed out but I think understanding this one would really snap everything else in to focus.

Any ideas?

(If this is the wrong place to post this type of question please advise - All proper respect intended)

Regards - Greg H

berrieh

Before I comment on this, let me say that one thing I like about the Thoth Tarot and ideas behind it is the whole Kingmaking story... the idea that the Prince becomes the King, and the Princess becomes the Queen, and the Courts are wrapped up in the Cycle of Kingmaking. It helped me immensely in beginning to understand the Courts and their place in Tarot.

As far as the Princess vs. the Queen of Cups, I don't see them as that similar, honestly. They both have the emotional tie to Cups, but for me, they hold very different 'purpose' within them (though of course, they are essentially the same person at different points in the Cycle).

The Queen is water of water, motionless and eternal, everywhere and nowhere, all feelings and no feelings. Like the ocean, she appears calm at her great depths, yet is really a sea of every possible emotion, every drop of water. I especially follow the notion that she reflects back everything that is within her sphere. The BoT says, "Everything that passes through her is refracted and distorted. But, speaking generally, her characteristics depend mostly upon the influences which affect her....It may really be said that, normally, people of this type have no character at all of their own, unless it can be called a characteristic to be at the disposition of every impact or impression."

That is the doubling of water, making her seem simply a mirror of everything around her. Is she anything at all? Of course, she is, but it is impossible to pinpoint it and grasp it, just as you cannot hold water in your hands. She is, truly, what you want to see or don't want to see. Her Kingdom is that of ebbing and rising emotions, yet she appears to rule still waters. Still, in the picture, because what is reflected is peaceful. However, if met with fury, would the waters boil? Perhaps, I think.

She is, of course, the purest Queen, and the pure essence of what a Queen is in the King-Making Cycle. She is receptivity and reflection. She creates, but she is not creation. The Prince kills The King and wins The Princess, who becomes The Queen. Thus, The Princess only becomes The Queen because of something that happens 'to' her, which correlates with how we believe feelings to appear. Controlling ones emotions is not about actually being able to create or destroy the emotion itself; it is about something different. So, the Queen, with every emotion at her disposal, becomes that perfect control of imperfect emotion.

The Princess of Cups is earth of water, much less pure. She is trying to adapt emotions into something tangible. So, she is in motion, because she cannot balance perfectly still, as The Queen can. She is the beginning, but she is also the goal. I like that she represents 'crystallization' because I've always thought she represents the idea of emotion (water/cups) becoming real/tangible (earth).

The Queen is about possibilities, she is infinite water, she is everything received and reflected, perhaps distorted or refracted, but kept in balance. But The Princess is about making just one of those possibilities real, as you cannot make infinite possibilities real (they'd counteract each other and become 0).

So, The Princess is less, and that allows her to exist in the tangible, real world. Yet she doesn't access the full power of her suit, and as such, doesn't achieve the emotional maturity of The Queen. The water sways her, she is off balance, she must keep moving to retain her grace, to make things real. The BoT mentions her dreamy qualities, however, it also mentions, "On a superficial examination she might be thought selfish and indolent, but this is a quite false impression; silently and effortlessly she goes about her work." The word 'work' strikes me as significant there, because it associates with her 'earth' qualities. She is the work of emotions.

The Queen is the infinite manifestation of that work. She is done, but it is not as simple as 'matured' because in being the end, she is also the beginning. At any rate, she is stable and all that comes with that---including being stuck, being in one place, as The Queen would be. Her course is set. She is her Kingdom. She stays at home.

The Princess of Cups is a bit muddy, though. She cannot do much on her own in the way of manifesting emotion into something tangible, so she often becomes more of an 'influence' than a product. And the BoT also mentions, "Rarely, at the best, are they of individual importance. As helpmeets, they are unsurpassed."

This makes sense when you consider her evolution to The Queen, who is really nothing at all (and yet everything) on her own. Neither of these characters are much good individually, and they both act more as 'influence' than anything else.

Anyway, just a few thoughts. I love the Thoth Courts.