Favorite Robert M Place deck?

jema

I used to have the first ed Alchemical but traded it away to Nina. I do admire his cool style, he is a great artist, just not for me.

Even though I would LOVE to have his TdM deck. What's it called?

nicky

Alchemical, 1st edition- just breathtaking

Madrigal

Nothing profound - I just love my historical Lenormands too much - My Destroyeds and Lilacs and Stralsunders and Dutch and Alte Deutches and Mertzs - the list goes on - they really are enough for me.

The Burning Serpent is lovely. It really is.

Thank you. Burning Serpent, lovely as it is, will have to wait. Instead one of your Destroyeds and one of you Lilacs is now winging its way to me. Not quite sure how that came about. ;)

Le Fanu

Thank you. Burning Serpent, lovely as it is, will have to wait. Instead one of your Destroyeds and one of you Lilacs is now winging its way to me. Not quite sure how that came about. ;)
Of course I would say you made the right decision:)

Oni

Well i had the first ALC sold it years ago, now i have the renewed one i have no idea which ed. The only thing i do miss is the book that came with the first one! I would like the 7 Fold Deck only due to the fact the art work is similar.

The Vampire Deck is the best vampire i have seen cause it puts you in the mood of the era when Bram Stoker wrote Dracula.

The Buddha deck i did not find that great same for the Saints deck.

I love his art style but honestly i think it would be cool to see some people of color in his decks! Like a new ALC with some black, Latin or asian people would be a dream!

Farzon

I can´t say anything about the Alchemical until now, or the Buddha Tarot...
From the three decks I own, I have a hard time choosing between the Sevenfold Mystery and the Tarot of the Saints. Somehow both are more focused on a spiritual point of view but I had both work out very well for practical questions. I really can´t decide!

Aeric

Well i had the first ALC sold it years ago, now i have the renewed one i have no idea which ed.
If it has a rose on the back, it's 2nd ed. If it has four elements on the back, it's 3rd.

I've started working with the Angels deck again, another winner!

St. James

I love his art style but honestly i think it would be cool to see some people of color in his decks! Like a new ALC with some black, Latin or asian people would be a dream!

I'm glad someone else thinks this! It doesn't bother me with the Vampire Tarot because everyone probably should look pasty and dead, but I just received the Burning Serpent Oracle yesterday and I was really put off by the the Isis and Osiris cards. They look like British aristocracy at a costume ball! Even with taking traditional Neo-Classical whitewashing into account, that's going too far for me. :/

I'm curious about the Sevenfold now. I like the Alchemical Renewed for meditative purposes, but I enjoy reading with the Vampire more.

UrbanBramble

His style is just so unique I think you could pick up any deck of his and be impressed. Also his attention to tarot philosophy and history... although haven't I heard that it's heavily influenced by his own belief system?

I have the vampire tarot because it was in my budget and I was looking for a deck to use for Halloween. It's stunning, I've avoided vampire decks because they are generally cheesy. But I am into vampire lore and he not only captures the Dracula story in a very classical way, he captures the movement in the arts around the time it was published. The accompanying book is wonderful in its own right.

I thought about the Sevenfold Mystery but I think I am holding out for an Alchemical some day. I hear they are very similar, even some of the images are the same, so why not hold out for the original?

I would also like to see him depart from pasty white people and include PoC in a tasteful and appropriate way. Especially, like was already said here, in light of the fact that he is whitewashing some of the historical elements in his deck (in the same way that has been unfortunately been done throughout history).

St. James

I just downloaded the free app of the Sevenfold so I could see what the cards looked like and I think I can stick to my Alchemical. I know that he specifically used Burne-Jones as his starting point and all of the ladies are ethereally pale for that reason, but then I got to the one POC in the entire deck and he was the bound, kneeling captive in the Swords. D: It just made me terribly uncomfortable.

I will say that so far I have really enjoyed reading with The Burning Serpent.