1st time reading in bookstore ~ bad vibes (long)

Aura Wolf

HighPriestess--I'm sorry to hear about that. It sounds to me like you're just suffering from temporary low self-confidence, probably mostly from the feeling of being out of place in that locale. Don't doubt your abilities.

If it was me, I wouldn't go back there....I would never read in a place I didn't feel comfortable. Good luck!

HighPriestesss

shaveling said:
I'm glad you're out of that situation. That would have been a creepy workplace if you'd stayed with it, and the bad vibes probably would have gotten worse. That said, I think there are a couple of things you should probably do differently with the next venue:

You need to get the financial arrangements settled ahead of time. The store owners should have known to do this. That they waited until the last minute is a bad sign. Though it does fit in with their forgetting to put "Not to be combined with other special offers" on their discount coupons.

You probably shouldn't read a Tarot book on the job. Not just for the reasons Grizabella mentioned, which do make sense. But because it could undermine a potential client's confidence. If the plumber working on my house were reading a how-to book on plumbing during his lunch break, I'd find it unsettling. It does make sense for Tarot readers to read Tarot books, and plumbers to read plumbing books. And yet -- do you know that awful feeling when you order a perfectly ordinary cocktail, a martini or a manhattan, and the bartender reaches for a recipe book? You don't want your potential customers to have that feeling.

It's probably good to bring a book for the in between times. But keep in mind that the customers will note what you're reading. A novel or magazine says, "I'm a regular person who knows how to read the cards." A big book on spellcasting or astrology, with illustrations of charts and mystical glyphs says, "I'm the somewhat scary magic lady with secret powers." Knitting or crocheting or embroidery can probably work, too, especially if the next place has a cat. Cats and string go together, somehow.

Congratulations on getting out of an unsatisfactory situation in the most satisfactory way possible. And good luck with whatever comes next.

You are absolutely right.

Financially, do you, or anybody, happen to know what is considered the "norm" in this business? Was 20% over the first $50 about average? No doubt, this was a lesson learned and will be discussed beforehand.

Ah, yes, reading my book. I knew while I was reading it that it wasn't exuding "confidence". I held it on my lap so the title was hidden. And when The One customer approached, I slid it off to the table next to me in a way she couldn't see. Nevertheless, I won't be mixing "studying" with reading ever again, as Griz wisely suggested.

Thank you for your observation and opinion!

franniee

I just sprinkle a little salt on the table or on my seat.... don't ask me why - it was suggested I do this and I do. Whatever works. :)

The white light you did was fine but I am not an expert - that is what I do and I breathe! I take some deep cleansing breaths and quiet my mind..... :)

re-pete-a

The more you listen to your feelings the more they talk. The stronger your personal integrity the stronger the passage of information . The more you think the more you close the flow. Excuses are not necessary nor becauses, acting in intregity is action a plenty.

The flow, the results.

The flow ,over thought, rationalising, processing ,
thinking ,judging ,procrastinations,social acceptance, delayed results ,if any at all.

The closer the associations the truer the information, less filters.

Your world, you choose. You decide.

re-pete-a

A by product of the above process is self confidence ,because you trust and follow your processes without looking for others approval.