2 cards with same number in 1 position. Advice?!

Ravenne

In readings for someone I've had two cards in one position with the same number, for instance pentacles 6 and cups 6. I've had this occur 3 times with this person. Now I'd like to know how I can/should go about this, as I'm sure this means something.
So far I've had 2x nr 6, 2x nr 4 and 2x nr 8. Do I get the corresponding card from the Mayor Arcana and what to do in case of two sixes: 12 or 6?
I'd appreciate some advice on this issue!

To make things clear: I sometimes draw a second card in a position to get clarification/more insight to read the first card, hence ending up with two cards in 1 position.

Ravenne

MareSaturni

Hi Ravenne!

I think this question should go into the "Using Tarot Cards" forum:

http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8

So you can study there the meanings of the numbers and what could they mean when they show up many times in the same spread or question.

Ravenne

Oops... I'll check that one tomorrow. If it shouldn't be here, maybe mods can move it for me. Sorry for posting in wrong forum :S

Ravenne

Alta

I have indeed moved it from Talking Tarot.

Alta

rwcarter

I think what you're looking for is the concept of tarot constellations, where cards that share the same number are considered to be in the same constellation. There are at least two books on the subject - Angeles Arrien's Tarot Handbook and Mary K. Greer's Tarot Constellations.

There's a thread here in Tarot Books & Media on Mary's book. In it I include links to how I applied the constellations to Clive Barrett's Ancient Egyptian Tarot.

There's also this post where I summarize the Constellations as put forth in Mary's book.

So, to answer your question, for 6s you would look at the Constellation of the Lovers, which also includes the Devil and all the Minor 6s. For the 4s, you'd look at the Constellation of the Emperor, which also includes Death and the Fool (as 22) in addition to the Minor 4s. And for the 8s, you'd look at the Constellation of Strength (or Justice if you prefer that card in that position), which also includes the Star and all the Minor 8s.

You'd be looking at the commonality between the cards in the constellations, which I believe would be different for different decks because of the imagery and/or storylines associated with the cards.

HTH,
Rodney

Ravenne

Rodney, thank you so much! Great information :)

Alta, thank you for helping out, again.

Ravenne