2/wands I don't like you!

Cenozoic

It's really weird but I really don't like the two of wands. I don't have a clue why. It just doesn't vibe with me. Even when I get it, and it doesn't mean anything bad, I really don't like the card at all, no matter which deck it is. It just gets me really upset, like a revolted feeling. I know it's silly disliking a card, but this one really makes me agitated!

I did a past life reading for myself because I was very curious. I didn't really remember the reading till I looked it back up in a notebook. Well after many many cards, it showed that in the position of my death in my past life was the friggin' two of wands! It's just upright, right there, in the position of my death!

And now I wonder, what does such a card that holds potential, balance, and possibilities, be stomping on top of my previous death, taunting and teasing me, actually be telling me?! XD

And are there any type of cards you guys dislike?

Milfoil

The two of wands can sometimes indicate a decision to be made - in a past life reading (death position) I wonder if this could indicate a suicide? Just a thought but may be worth considering with regards to why you feel so ill at ease with this card.

Le Fanu

I totally get this feeling with the 2 of Wands too. I know the meanings and there are some decks with 2 of Wands I don't mind but as a rule I just find this card totally unnecesary. Seriously. I swear that if my decks had 77 cards and no 2 of Wands I really wouldn't miss it. I just find it to be a card which is completely unnecesary and never tells me anything of interest.

Of all 2 of Wands I like the Thoth/Liber T one the best. The others are just meh.

Funny you should pick this card too out of all cards! I think the problem is that most decks never really make a very clear distinction between the 2 and 3 of Wands so it has ended up being quite a wishy-washy card.

I have posted about this before and everyone comes forward and tells me what the card means. I know what the card means, it just isn't a message I find of interest in my life. Ever!

I find myself wondering whether the tarot deck originally had only 77 cards. Must ask Comte de Gebelin on the ouija board...

velvetina

the distinction i make between the 2 and 3 of wands is that the 2 is planning, making lists, etc and the 3 is taking those first steps...i have also found for me personally 2 of wands represents an interesting relationship..not necesarily a cosy, happy one, but one that moves me along abit.

The Divine Ms T

I don't care much for the feel of the card myself but I do think it serves a good purpose and belongs in the deck.

The two of wands has an isolated and unhappy feel to it. The man stands alone, overlooking his dominion, holding a globe in his hand (a symbol that represents his accomplishments) but he stands alone.

Waite compared this figure to Alexander the Great, who wept after conquering the known world. What will he do with himself now?

Perhaps this is the consequence of ambition, the cost of being an overachiever.

nh786

2 of Wands and 3 of Wands also pose difficulty for me too sometimes. I always hope they just come forward to indicate travel which is what mostly happens. The 3 of Wands gives me a 'weird' feeling.. like someone's turning their back on you.

Thirteen

Split-Second Decision--Lifetime Resentment

I wonder, what does such a card that holds potential, balance, and possibilities, be stomping on top of my previous death, taunting and teasing me, actually be telling me?!
Why not take it out of the deck and ask it what the deal is? Do a reading around it?

The 2/Wand usually represents a spur of the moment decision between two things that were, for all intents and purposes, equal. The other 2's can split what they've got between two things, at least temporally. Like the 2/Pents, where you juggle your money so you're paying off one thing one month and the other thing the next month. For now, you can manage it. Or the 2/Swords, where you put off deciding for one side or the other and call a compromise or truce--for now, you can manage it. But Wands are energy, and if you split your energy (focus) between two things, then they'll both suffer. The 2/Wands is where you realize this, and pick one of the two to focus everything into and, thus, gain "the world." Achievement of your ambitions requires total focus and all your energy into one thing.

Problem is, what if that turned out to be the wrong thing? Or what if, for all your effort, you didn't get there? Regret and anger over wasted time and energy in a past life, all thanks to one ill-considered, split second decisions, could leave you with several lifetimes of resentment.

Which, by the way, isn't a good thing. That card--and what it represents--is holding you back. You should not only do a reading to find out what went wrong, but how you can get past it. Letting it go, coming to terms with it, is the only way to move on and move up.

Thirteen

They can't look at anything else

The 3 of Wands gives me a 'weird' feeling.. like someone's turning their back on you.
Heh. Isn't that a little weird on your end? I mean, it's not like the characters in the cards know you're there and that they ought to be looking at you ;) Thing is, you're viewing this as someone doing this deliberately to hurt you, that they aren't being empathetic to your situation. But if you look at the card meaning, you'll realize that they don't necessarily *want* to turn their backs to you--but they're in the middle of something really important and kinda have to.

Putting it another way, if the man in that card did know you were there, looking at him, he might say: "I beg your pardon for turning my back on you, but my ships are due in today, and I'm anxiously waiting to see if they come in. I invested everything I had in them--all my energy and time--and if a storm or pirates got them, I'll have lost it all. So, please don't take it as rudeness that I'm staring out at the sea rather than at you. This is the most important day of my life, and I can't bare to look away until I see them on the horizon and know they're safe and sound...."

Or, similarly, "...my ships are sailing out today, and I can't bare to look away until I see them vanish over the horizon. They're carrying all my hopes and ambitions for the future."

I'm sure you've been in that position, not being able to look away from whatever is leaving with your hopes and ambitions, or not able to look away as you wait for something which could change your life to appear. So, yes, you may need this person, and yes, they may *seem* to be turning their backs on you (or are just too distracted to see you?)--but I think they've got a really, really good excuse for it, don't you? Are your issues so large, your immediate need for them so urgent that you can't understand why they're unable give you any of their time or energy at this very moment?

WalesWoman

Two of Wands could very well be conflicts of interests, clash of wills in a way. It could be a passive/aggressive thing, saying yes when you can't say no, arguing with yourself because you can't do two things at once. (I want to be a ballerina and an astronaut) or more likely scheduling conflicts... invited to go sailing with hunk vs attending family picnic, etc. Two strong willed people equally debating the worthiness of what they want, with only one path that can be followed. It's a crossroads, most people don't like arriving at cross roads because they have to make a choice of which way is the best way and the way ahead isn't clear.

I see 2 Cups as being on opposite sides of the spectrum, extreme feelings and don't see why 2 Wands can't be the same, it's all about duality and polarity. Trying to balance the positive and negative. 2 Swords is trying to avoid seeing it or dealing with it, 2 Pents tries to juggle it and walk on eggshells, 2 Cups tries to feel good about it & smooth out the differences, but I can see 2 Wands bashing it out.

If for some reason they strike you to the point where you do not like this card, then there is something you really need to look into within yourself... something that really needs to be confronted.

Hlb9525

I don't find the 2 of wands threatening.

Because it is wands/fire, I can see this as being choices between two things that you are passionate about.

my Gilded deck the 2/wands shows a man coming up to a cross-roads. He can't travel both paths, so he has to choose.

In my LODT deck it shows 2 locked jewel boxes suspended between 2 different wands, there is only 1 key, that will fit both boxes, but it will only work 1 time. So you have the ability to open each box, but the key only works once, so in reality the key will only work on 1 of the boxes, which ever you choose.

When I translate this into meaning for me.. I see myself at a cross-roads of choices. Both choices are equally good, both choices will benefit me, but the roads diverge and eventually go different directions.

Like a highschool graduate, do they go to college or tech school? Do they study law or law enforcement?

I do not believe in former lives, or in reincarnation, but I can see that you do, and you got the 2 in the death position when you read on it.

I don't see the 2/wands as a forced choice, nor an unexpected one. Could it be that in a former life you were forced to choose death for some reason?
I don't think that it necessarily has to be a suicidal type of death, just that you had to choose a path that would lead to death in general.

I am thinking of death in a sacrificial sense. A mother choose's to die to save their children or spouse. A soldier choose's to die to benefit his country and his beliefs. Martyrs chose to die intead of giving up their religious beliefs. All are people that decide which path is the best for them, and many will choose that path even knowing that they would face certain death.

If someone were to tell me that the only way my children would live to grow up is if I were to die. I would and gladly. It is a choice, similar to the ones on the 2/wands. My life doesn't get worse because I chose to die, it just changed, but my life is better in my view, because I could give it up to make my children's lives better.

I hope that makes sense.

HB