"Ethics" of tarot

ravenest

I agree with the above re relating to someone who is essentially at odds with your path but I feel the title; ethics in tarot ... generally ...could do with a VAST examination.

Morwenna

Yes; why "ethics" in this context? Does the person you're dating come across as finding divination unethical? If you yourself have any doubts about the ethics of divination, there are many threads here that discuss ethical reading.

But everyone else here is SO right: don't be any less than you are for anybody. I can tell you from experience that I spent 3 years dating someone whose attitude toward things I treasured became more and more derogatory, and when I finally broke it off, a mutual friend greeted me across a crowded room with a loud and hearty "Congratulations!"

And that's a relatively short time. I know other people, and I've read the accounts of other ATers, who went through periods like that which were far longer than mine. Please don't let that happen to you.

BSwett

So he's saying that you are 'playing God'? Hmmm...So he believes in God.
Sounds like this person has some beliefs that could definitely be questioned….

We all need to exercise our spiritual muscles in very personal ways. Some need to go to a church and listen to some person talk about saints and fairy tales, some others just like to reflect and try to better themselves with pretty images in paper cards…

To each his own.

Original Destiny

I suppose I could rehash all the sound points put by everyone but for me it would boil down to putting on my walking shoes and ....walking away

danieljuk

I've thought about this quite a lot for my own spirituality. It also worries me about if I ever wanted to go pro. However there is many people who give advice day to day! Priests, health and mental health workers, hairdressers, all sorts of people. Is it right if they for example told someone to leave their partner?

We hear advice all the time but we have a final choice about acting on it. Same with astrology and tarot readings. Getting one is getting a readers interpretation and version of your future or how to solve your situations. The person giving the reading has a responsibility to be ethical in what they are giving and the person getting a reading has to be responsible in realising that there is many variables in divination. No one ever has 100% accurate readings and things might change. There is an element of free will in this, the reader just gives advice but doesn't force the sitter to take it or believe it.

I think their view is a little too simplistic, it forgets the person chose to get that reading and decides what parts of the reading to act on :) perhaps try and educate them more about what really happens

Essence of Winter

I've thought about this quite a lot for my own spirituality. It also worries me about if I ever wanted to go pro. However there is many people who give advice day to day! Priests, health and mental health workers, hairdressers, all sorts of people. Is it right if they for example told someone to leave their partner?

We hear advice all the time but we have a final choice about acting on it. Same with astrology and tarot readings. Getting one is getting a readers interpretation and version of your future or how to solve your situations. The person giving the reading has a responsibility to be ethical in what they are giving and the person getting a reading has to be responsible in realising that there is many variables in divination. No one ever has 100% accurate readings and things might change. There is an element of free will in this, the reader just gives advice but doesn't force the sitter to take it or believe it.

I think their view is a little too simplistic, it forgets the person chose to get that reading and decides what parts of the reading to act on :) perhaps try and educate them more about what really happens

I would say that when it comes to giving advice, whether in the form of a reading, as a professional of some nature or as a friend, the fundamentally important question is whether the advice being given empowers the recipient in some way. The emphasis on choice that you point out is satisfied by giving people the tools, information and advice that assists them in exercising that choice, which is one of the things I like most about the Tarot.

To the OP: Have you tried telling the person you are dating how you feel about their disapproval? Expressing it to them will give them an opportunity to think about their reaction to your interests and modify that aspect of their behaviour. If that doesn't invite them to be more tolerant and respectful, you can walk away knowing that you gave them the chance to change.

tarotbear

purpose of this thread ... ?

There is a difference between talking about what is 'ethics' and discussing a person who is acting like schmuck ... so, what is this thread about, exactly? :bugeyed:

The crowned one

There is a difference between talking about what is 'ethics' and discussing a person who is acting like schmuck ... so, what is this thread about, exactly? :bugeyed:

I think I am seconding this. Ethics is something quite different, and tarot does not have a special set, they are what your ethics are.

dancing_moon

Your confidence comes with experience. IMO, there's no need to engage in profound philosophic collisions with people around you. If you personally find Tarot fascinating - go ahead and explore it. If you feel bad about giving advice to people based on cards - then don't. :) You can just draw some cards to do 'situation analysis'. And anyway, like others have said, it's up to your querent to make the final decision.

You can make up some sort of an oral disclaimer that you'll make before every reading if you're feeling unsure. Ask your querents to remember that it's just your intuitive take on things, that you could be wrong, and that they should consider it just one opinion of one very far-from-flawless person. I'm sure you don't keep any air of omniscience about you, so no querent will ever suspect you of playing God with them. ;)

As for your significant other, I agree with other posters. If your understanding of the spiritual differs that much, one of you is bound to change, or you'll just go your separate ways sooner or later.

Disa

I think I am seconding this. Ethics is something quite different, and tarot does not have a special set, they are what your ethics are.

It sounded to me in the original post that the person they are dating thinks reading Tarot is unethical?