10-yr-old son wants to learn tarot- NEED ADVICE!!

Alissa

My son got his first deck, a majors-ony called the Caring Psychic Family (gifted from Umbrae) when he was 4 years old. He's shown some interest in the cards when I'm reading for someone, but little initiative to take it up on his own as of yet.

Now, at the age of 6, I gave him my Hanson Roberts deck for him to keep, which he keeps but doesn't use. He's often fascinated with crystals and from the age of 2 he has been collecting those of his own accord, even saving allowance from the age of 4 to start buying his own crystals (maybe a crystal child?)

I obviously support the idea of children using Tarot when they're guided to do so in a safe, and rational, environment. There are some kid friendly decks, like the Fairy Tale one (first to come to mind) as well.

When reading your post, my thought was maybe your son came into your life to be a Teacher to you, to introduce you to metaphysical ideas you might not have "made time" for elsewhere in your life if not for his situations which prompted your own investigations.

Wishing you both a path filled with inspiration and light! :D

Grizabella

I think you should buy him the deck and let him explore it as he feels moved to do. He may just be curious and it will be a passing fancy by the time he's a teenager. But maybe sometime later in his life he'll go back to it. Don't push him---just give him the deck and then answer any questions he might have as he goes along, but let him do it as he wants without too much input from you unless it's asked for. :)

RussianSoul

My Grandmother taught me fortune-telling with playing cards when I was younger than 7. I don't remember how old exactly I was, but certainly younger than 7, because we moved out of her house when I was 7.

It was fun. I liked it quite a lot and remember entertaining girls in school reading their cards during younger years. There was no harm in it what-so-ever.

I then proceeded to forget my cards for several decades and picked them up again a couple of years ago, but that is another story.

For your dear son - teach him if he is interested. There's no harm. Remember, youngsters perceive things differently. Death and Devil are fairytale characters to them. 9 of Swords is a bad dream. On the other, positive, hand he may be developing natural abilities that otherwise would stay dormant. Intuition, imagination, keen perception, ability to connect things and make stories are talents that may serve him well when he grows up.

And he will remember his mother who opened the door into this wonderful different world for him. Just like I remember my Grandma - with love.

Star-Willow

I have a 10 year old daughter who has the Magical Unicorns oracle, while it is not specifically Tarot, it is a great deck for her..... she saw it in a crystal shop while we were on holidays recently and just fell in love with it (horse-mad ;)) and asked if she could have it, I couldn't resist and now she has her own deck that she uses to do a daily for herself before school and lots of things have transpired from her little *readings*..... my girls have grown up with Tarot being a common thing in our home........
My 17 year old has a few Tarot decks which she uses from time-to-time aswell. It's not something that she uses daily but it's there......
My youngest is almost 4 and she loves my faerie oracle, I use it as a story-telling game for her..... I'm sure one day she will ask for her own deck too...

I think your son will take things at this own pace and understanding...... if your there to answer his questions then that is the best thing that you can do for him :)

Astraea

My thought is that this is akin to a child having questions about sex -- there's no need to address specific questions your son hasn't asked, nor go where he hasn't asked to be led. As others here have said, by letting him go at his own pace he will select the material that is relevant to him, and he is more likely to be fascinated than troubled by what he learns. I also agree with Alissa that this child is probably one of your spiritual teachers, perhaps even a mentor on some level, despite his young age.

You've probably read Carol Bowman's books, Children's Past Lives and Return from Heaven; if not, I recommend them.

firefrost

Mho - I think it's great when youngsters show a real interest.

My youngest daughter decided she couldn't live without Tarot of the Cat People when she was 12 and I enjoyed spending time with her and the cards. Sadly, her interest didn't last that long and the cards have long been put away in favour of a social life!

satine

Yes, I've read both of those and many more. Actually, Children's Past Lives is the book that really helped me the most back when my son was having those struggles. As I recall, Carol Bowman dedicated a nice-sized portion of that book to parents who needed to know what to do, how to best respond, etc.

I agree with the comments that my son may in some ways be my mentor or teacher. I am very much his mother, but I intuitively sense that he is an older soul than I. The timing of when he came into my life and under what circumstances only reinforces this idea... He ALWAYS knows what is going on with me even if I'm trying to hide it. :)

Astraea said:
My thought is that this is akin to a child having questions about sex -- there's no need to address specific questions your son hasn't asked, nor go where he hasn't asked to be led. As others here have said, by letting him go at his own pace he will select the material that is relevant to him, and he is more likely to be fascinated than troubled by what he learns. I also agree with Alissa that this child is probably one of your spiritual teachers, perhaps even a mentor on some level, despite his young age.

You've probably read Carol Bowman's books, Children's Past Lives and Return from Heaven; if not, I recommend them.

magpie9

You asked for someone with experience in reading for and teaching children Tarot. Well here I am.
I have always read for children, when asked, or as part of the school Halloween fair. All they really want is a simple straight answer. If they want more detail, or anything, they will just ask. It has been my experience that the deck will not bring up stuff too deep for them, or too dark.

I use non-scary looking decks with them, and am honest but careful in how I phrase things. I don't remove cards like the devil or death or 3 swords, etc., because they deserve an honest reading, and even at a very young age children understand that there are parts of life that are hard and can be hurtful. I think it's really important to respect their spirits by being honest and straight forward---and unalarmed when something "negative" comes up. When that kind of stuff comes up in a reading I spend a few minutes exploring ways to cope, or to change things in a practical matter-of-fact way, just as I would do with an adult! I don't see any mystery or anything wrong in reading for them, however young they are. It's good for it to be a natural part of life. And it's a good tool to have, life-long whether as a reader or a client. A good reading clarifies things and helps a person control their lives, no matter how young.

I started both my kids and grandkids on Tarot when they individually showed an interest. I got them their first "very-own" decks of their choice when they asked for them. Over the years I mostly answered questions, as they asked them, rather than formally teaching them. As they grew older and more into it, I taught them when & what they asked for. I didn't do much that is formal because I wanted them to come to tarot in their own time and way, not because it was my passion, and therefore "should" be theirs. I think it worked out well--they all read well when they want to, and have Tarot as a tool I wanted them to have.

Before I had kids I thought I would teach them formally, and perhaps esoterically, but when it got down to reality that didn't feel right.

I'm sure you'll find the way that is right for you and your son, too. :)

mac22

satine said:
The point is, he is the one who indirectly put me on the path I am now on. Somehow that feels relevant now, because I don't want to deny him something he is ready to do or know about...yet I do have my worries that he is too young for me to read directly for him or for him to start learning to read the cards himself. Could any of you with more experience in this area be so kind as to give me some advice on this topic? Advice, tips, insight... anything. Thank you!!

FWIW I started learning about Tarot at 10yro -- reading at 15yro. I don't feel it harmed me in any way... If your son put you on the path .....then I'd return the favor.

It doesn't mean that you overwhelm him with info -- just answer what is needed and DO a whole lot of active listening:D

Mac22

Disa

I was thinking, if he does a card a day- he might want to write his notes down in a journal, sort of create his own tarot book that way.

Disa