"Deactivating" a deck

Sulis

Moderator note

And can we now get back to the topic of the thread, which is a valid one; 'Deactivating a deck'...

A reminder that mocking posts (humour does not translate well with just the written word to go on) and posts discussing the thread (meta discussion) are both against the rules of the forum.

Sulis - moderator

DugSkullery

Seems like the consensus opinion came out quite early in this thread: "Not necessary in most situations." I think that message got across loud and clear, and it seems like the OP got it, humor notwithstanding. Everything after that point was "gilding the lily," or put more bluntly, "overkill." I'd like to think not all of us are part of that 80% demographic Ciro was talikng about in another thread.

Wot was Ciro talking about in the other thread? Am I in the 80 or the 20% of the demographic, and is that bad or good?

DugSkullery

Some Tarot readers, and some people in AT, use the cards as a mean of communication with spirit guides or similar entities, and from their point of view the cards would absorb at least some of that sacred spiritual energy. Yet every time one of them opens his/her mouth, I see the Tarot equivalent of fart jokes thrown at them.

Not all of us think alike, except that we are united by our love of the cards. I find that every viewpoint, no matter how different from our own, needs and deserves to be treated with a modicum of respect.

The OP asked an honest question, and I think she/he deserves an honest answer, instead of juvenile, discourteous nonsense.

Just my two cents.

THANK YOU! FLizarraga

Well I removed my deck from my socks because it was difficult to get my shoes on properly and people kept asking me why I have such a bad limp, and I said its better than the last one, and they said it must have got worse over time, and I said yea, they said oh, I said wat, they said mmm, I said OW!, they said you OK?, I said no I'm DS, they said.....

I just read that it is called 'consecrating' from the Golden dawn majikal tarot, in which it says it is important to consecrate your artefact that you will use, Thoth tarot has its own consecration act. I guess it makes it a talisman and separates it from non-majical implements that are not consciously used for such purposes. Makes sense to me tbh.

So, because I am kind of being a bit of a blubbing toddler, stumbling about the kitchen for some apron strings to hang off on, I just thought that you fine people would know of a unconsecrating ritual (IF ANY) to un majikal tool them because I dont like to leave them 'open' so to speak. I know it is not LITERALLY as dangerous, but I suppose it is just my pedantic nit picking coming out. I could be a closet lilly gilder,... I could be the resident Lillified Gildermatic Fanatic .... :-O Oh n00000oOOoOo! Urge, to, gild... rising.... riiiising, must gild, must resist, gnyarrrg hurrrg!

I only made this thread because I vaguely thought I saw a thread somewhere with this topic but I could not find it, I could have imagined it, so I started my own.

zannamarie

I only made this thread because I vaguely thought I saw a thread somewhere with this topic but I could not find it, I could have imagined it, so I started my own.
Did you "activate" the deck in question? I didn't see where you answered my question about how you "activated" it.

I would think activating or deactivating would be along the lines of a personal preference as to your intention with the cards. I believe your intention is more important than any specific action you take. My intent is what 'activates' my cards and I only consider them 'activated' while I'm using them for divination purposes.

If you did something special to activate it prior to use then I would think you would want to do something along the same lines to deactivate it.

If you didn't do anything to activate then just put them away, snap your fingers twice, and then you're done. :)

DugSkullery

Did you "activate" the deck in question? I didn't see where you answered my question about how you "activated" it.

I would think activating or deactivating would be along the lines of a personal preference as to your intention with the cards. I believe your intention is more important than any specific action you take. My intent is what 'activates' my cards and I only consider them 'activated' while I'm using them for divination purposes.

If you did something special to activate it prior to use then I would think you would want to do something along the same lines to deactivate it.

If you didn't do anything to activate then just put them away, snap your fingers twice, and then you're done. :)

Yes I did activate them. OK, they all seem to have different ones but none say to un-do it if you want to either sell them or chuck them, to unbind from them.

FLizarraga

I think it has been already asked, but it bears repeating: To magick your cards, did you do a traditional ritual, or did you make up your own?

ana luisa

I have a question for DugSkullery which also relates to what Flizarraga asked: do you feel the cards themselves hold the "power, magic", or is it YOU or is it a combination of you + cards ? I ask this because every reader has their own way of interacting with the cards. If they need you to "do their stuff" (like a magic wand that needs the sorcerer to light up), then, the deactivation has to come from you. From within you. Meaning, you have to start using them as plain pieces of paper with beautiful pictures on them. And nothing more. At least, that's what I'd do. I only mentioned the ordering and airing out in case of what I call "residual energy".

Harmony Rose

One way to handle this whole situation is when "activating, or charging" a deck, set your intention to be that you will work together in whatever way serves your highest good. This would enable you to use them in whatever capacity best serves your purposes. You would have no need to deactivate them-their role may change multiple times in order to serve your highest good. If at some point they should retire from service to you, or move on from you, then that is how they can serve your highest good. Great question, btw!

jsiu123

People said that there are enegies when one uses a deck...
But I look at this in two ways - either your tarot reading involves channeling, or it never did.
If you do use it to channel spirits, then maybe you need to tell the spirit himself that you no longer use that deck and ask him nicely to go away. Or at least, tell them to go to another deck you bought, and to save time and matter, if you are rich enough to buy the same deck, after telling the spirit off I would consider buying another deck. Otherwise you better off having the mind and spirit using it as reference, because what spirits one might channel, I don't have a faint idea... (unless your deck is ancient/out-of-print)

If you do not channel at all, then it is your *final and deepest* intention that matters. If you not use it, you better don't; If you do, then go on and use it again with nothing to regret :)

My own opinion, though, whatever you did or do towards your deck, intention matters the most.