Your own quirks, peculiarities, and habits...

JackofWands

Joining the dialogue a little late here, but I'll try to catch up. First off, I never reorder my decks. It feels like tampering to me, especially because I read with reversals and see the inversion of the cards as an important and natural part of reading.

I also talk out loud to my cards during readings (although I haven't managed to get my hands on a Thoth deck yet). I'll address the cards (and the ideas they represent) in the second person, saying things like "What are you doing here?" The cards never talk back, of course, but the practice helps me focus my thoughts and I can interact with them almost as if they were independent entities--even if it does make me look a little crazy to outside eyes.

When I'm reading in-person for a third party, I will shuffle the cards (riffle and bridge; don't judge me) but will always ask the querent to cut them. I feel like this makes readings a bit more participatory.

Morwenna

Gee. And all I do is shuffle. :)

The only time I ever reorder the cards is if I'm going to use them for study or some project not related to a reading. Or if they've somehow gotten out of confinement, I'll break them down into suits to make it easier to count them.

I do, however, make sure that a pleasant card is on the top before putting them away.

UrbanBramble

When I'm done shuffling I cut the deck into three, rotate one of the piles 180 degrees, and then put them back together and cut them again, this time just once and in my hands. Occasionally I will clear a deck by making seven piles and randomly assigning cards to them and then putting them back together, or just by shuffling for a while without a question or intention. I always do the latter when I am reading for others, immediately after the reading.

Yaqub Lutfi

It might be an old classic, but i never cross my legs or arms while shuffling or while the consultant is shuffling.

Also if a card falls i use it in the reading as a side note.

But my personal touch when spreading cards is repeating something that my 'tarot master' taught me in Spain a few years ago: 'dicit nunc mihi' (tell me now)

Nel

I was wondering if there was a "rituals" thread or similar and I think this is as close as it gets!

Personally before doing a serious reading I always make a large cup of tea, dim the lights down and light up 3 large grey candles and 4 smaller ones which I place around the reading area. (I feel empowered by the number 7, my birthday is 7th/7th too!)

On the fence about getting a spread cloth as of now to add into this ritual, also pondering if I should start doing my readings on the floor

. . . If there is a "ritual" or similar thread please let me know!

cardwitch

My shuffling techniques are pretty standard, but there is one special thing I like to do sometimes after shuffling. Instead of cutting the deck, starting from the top I flip over cards until I find my significator (or the significator of the person I'm reading for) and use the cards that come after it for the reading.

Also, every night I leave a card that I wish to understand better lying out on my bedside table, in hopes that my dreams will reveal something to me about it.

I do this as well, danieljuk :) I hold it to my heart and even give some of my decks a quick kiss before putting them away! I'm quirky alright, lol.

I kiss my cards all the time, especially before putting them away. I also give my nightly bedtime card a goodnight kiss before I turn out the lights. If you're quirky, so am I!

I've seen another reader do the same thing, but with her third eye chakra. I actually tried that myself, and I felt a lot of pressure there. It was interesting!

Sometimes, without thinking, I find myself pressing my index and middle fingers against my third eye when I'm puzzling over a card. I don't know much about chakras and don't usually work with them, but this just seems to happen automatically. Make of that what you will :D

Padma

Loving this thread - it's so cool to see that I'm not the only one with a quirk when it comes to my cards.

My quirk is that I will never put my cards away if the base card has a slightly negative meaning. For example, if the 10 of Swords is on the base, I'll shuffle until it's replaced by something 'happier' like The Sun or the Nine of Cups :)

I do the same thing :)

I also crack my cards on the side of the table, or give them a sharp knock on top - rapping them with my knuckles - to clear out or cleanse the energy after the reading.

I also say "thank you" in my heart after a reading is over. I don't know who I am thanking, but it feels right :heart:

ravenest

I have this quirky little ritual I like the querant to take part in.

I put down a card, they put down a $50 note ... I put down another card, they put down another $50 note ... and so on ...

Nel

Oh! and I never-ever riffle shuffle =)

I put down a card, they put down a $50 note ... I put down another card, they put down another $50 note ... and so on ...

Probably a joke, but that reminds me! I've sworn to never, ever take money for a reading I do for several personal reasons . . .

Are there any threads discussing this side of tarot?

Edit: never mind me I just learned the google!
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=160775
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=217391

Laura Borealis

Reading rituals are so much more meaningful when the querant plays their part. :thumbsup: