Set and Setting ideas

Rubycon

I wasn't quite sure where to post this so I came in this thread. I will be getting a few decks soon and I don't have any place to work with them as far as a specific room. I want to turn a room in my house into a room specifically for Tarot readings. I just don't know what color scheme I want to go with as far as positive and meditative energy. Also, tables, cloth layouts, crystals etcetera. Any ideas what base color I should paint the room? Or a scheme that would work well with the readings? Indigo, Blue, Yellow, Red, Violet which colors would be the best for this situation? I have hard wood floors as well.

Thanks!

tarotbear

When I had a 'Tarot Room' I was renting and not allowed to change anything (I think the walls were that blah brown luan paneling) so I had to concentrate on what was IN the room instead.

I had a round table with two comfortable chairs to do the readings with a purple-ish floor-length tablecloth and a square topper in a night sky type print to do the readings on. On one wall I had a bookcase with all my tarot books and also decks to have them within easy reach.

In one corner I also had my Wiccan altar with a large wall mirror (I did spell work skyclad), and also 'Port-A-Witch' - an old Hi-Fi cabinet with a glass door and top to hold all my witchy supplies and incenses.

I also had a decent sound system (for the time) to play CDs of whatever I thought was appropriate; the CDs were also in a stand nearby.

Whatever posters or artwork I felt was appropriate for the time of season was on the walls.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

moon_light

Having a tarot room sounds lovely!

When it comes to colors, purple is usually associated with spirituality and psychic powers, so it might be a good option. You can also take a look at color theory. Red increases appetite while blue makes people trust you, for instance. I just did a quick search and found this:

http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-meaning.html

It seems to be a good starting point. But in the end, I think what matters the most is which colors appeal to you. What relaxes you and puts you in touch with your intuition? Or, alternately, what energizes you or makes you focus? Whatever you need while reading tarot, find the color that matches. What works for you is what you should go with.

In terms of other things, I think some tarot themed art would be nice. I know you can get prints from some decks, but you could also make your own if you are artistically inclined. I'd probably do mixed media pieces with actual cards incorporated. But art can also be distracting, so use it however seems appropriate to you. Abstract stuff might be less intrusive.

Don't worry too much about how the room is for the reader. Sure, they should be comfortable, but in the end, you're the one doing the work, so you need the right setting for you. Post some pictures when you finish it up! I'd love to see what you do.

Rubycon

I think I will go with indigo mainly because of the 6th Chakra, and now that you mention art I think I will paint a Rosicrucian Cross on the wall and have the Unicursal Hexagram (Thelema) on the floor. It's going to be hard to paint the cross though and make it look "right". I'm kind of a perfectionist and it has to look exactly like the Rosy Cross pertaining to the Golden Dawn. I think it will be fitting for the deck I will be using. By the way, I am doing all of this in preparation for a certain deck I bought and I haven't even received it yet! I will go get supplies this weekend and hopefully I get the deck in the mail tomorrow. If I could, I would use this forum as a basis for the color scheme for the room. I think it would be perfect! Yes I will take photos of the room as I go along, I have a nice DSLR collecting dust. How about incense and runes, crystals and the like? I am not sure what crystals do what, so I might go to that thread sometime and get some info on them as well. I am leaning towards amethyst and quartz though. Oh, another thing. Would a gazing ball be a little too much feng shui? Scrying mirror? I don't know much about scrying, a friend at work was telling me about them. Thanks for the info guys!

tarotbear

just kidding!

How about incense and runes, crystals and the like? I am not sure what crystals do what, so I might go to that thread sometime and get some info on them as well. I am leaning towards amethyst and quartz though. Oh, another thing. Would a gazing ball be a little too much feng shui? Scrying mirror? I don't know much about scrying, a friend at work was telling me about them. Thanks for the info guys!

Put in the room whatever is comfortable for you, but please restrain yourself from making it look like a B-Movie set! :laugh:

Rubycon

I decided to record the entire process from beginning to end. I just got back with supplies and I will start by creating the symbol on the floor boards. This is exciting! I will post the YouTube link in here when I'm finished with that part of the room. I'm still not sure what colors I should use against light brown that won't look too flashy. I'm still thinking indigo or violet, and the circle would be a darker shade probably. It's okay if I post my video of the room link in here isn't it?

Zephyros

Off topic, but I just have to say... "set and setting" is a very specific term taken from drug culture, specifically LSD, but is also applicable to 'shrooms. I have never heard it used outside of that context. :)

Now, on topic, you might want to download Liber 777, it has all the color attributions and their magickal meanings.

lupercalia

Jealous! I hope it turns out fantastically.

Some thoughts:
- I'd really encourage using scent in the room, preferably the same scent every time so it just becomes 'part' of the room. The sense of smell is so critical for getting behind the conscious brain, especially when it's the same every time. If incense doesn't work for you or the people you're reading for, try essential oils; other than the heavy florals, most people are able to tolerate essential oils well. In terms of scents, some traditional divination incenses/oils are sandalwood, cedarwood, rose (can be too much for some people), dragon's blood, and frankincense.

- Speaking of traditional divination herbs, I know I'd want supplies for making divination tea! Blend together dried hibiscus (don't use too much, it's strong), cinnamon stick, food-grade dried rose petals, dried orange peel, lemon balm, and black or green tea, to taste. Put it in a decorative jar. Get yourself a pretty tea pot with a built-in tea diffuser, plus two mugs, and an electric kettle - you're gold.

- If you have a source of natural light, plants are always a good thing in divination spaces. Bay, ivy and fig are all traditional and make good houseplants, but any plants will work (and will keep it from feeling too b-movie, as previously mentioned).

- Don't forget creature comforts; if you're comfortable in a space, you're more likely to spend time there (and more likely to be able to focus). Comfortable chairs, good lighting sources for different moods, something to wear or drape over your lap if you get cold, something to nibble if you get hungry (a small jar of nuts will do it) - all of those things will make the space more attractive to be in.

- If you plan on burning candles and incense, make sure to be fire-safe. Lanterns for tea-lights or pillar candles are pretty and reduce the risk, and for incense my favourite trick is to buy a gorgeous ceramic tile from a tile or building store and use that to rest my incense burner on. Inexpensive, beautiful, and you can get a reasonably large one which will make sure that any still-smoldering incense that drops won't end up on something flammable.

Sorry for the mini essay!

Grizabella

Off topic, but I just have to say... "set and setting" is a very specific term taken from drug culture, specifically LSD, but is also applicable to 'shrooms. I have never heard it used outside of that context. :)

Now, on topic, you might want to download Liber 777, it has all the color attributions and their magickal meanings.

I'd never heard that term before and I'm from the turn on, tune in and drop out generation. It must never have gotten to my area. :p

lupercalia, are you going to just be using the deck for your own readings? I haven't ever really done anything in my living space because I just read wherever I am, but now I live in an RV and I'm going to be adding a few more touches, I think.

I hope you connect with the new deck now that you're doing all this decorating. Sounds like you'll be quite busy.

Rubycon

I can't remember where I heard the phrase from but I guess you're right. I just meant room atmosphere. I am almost done with the unicursal hexagram on the floor. I just need to paint one more coat and then do the line. The flower in the middle shouldn't be too hard. I'll probably try and scale it as close as possible and use a cutout to trace. The diameter of the circle is roughly 60" and I'm recording every step! I can't wait for you all to see it!