Seasoning a deck

levannah60

the sad reality of seasoning a deck, is that by the time you do get it seasoned, it's worn out and time to buy a new one.

firecatpickles

Try rubbing some oil along the sides lightly with a rag --like lavendar or peppermint. These aromas clear the mind, and they get rid of that gross "new card" smell.

catlin

I never ever leave the house without at least my pocket RW, the Legend and my Wiccan cards. RW and Legend are pretty worn now (hey, they travel with me for around 10 years - still the same decks with just 2 of cups replaced in the RW), Wiccan cards in use since 27 December 2005, so they are still crisp.

They are my friends in joy and sorrow, they never let me down. They have seen the amazing Gold hats in Speyer, the Heidelberg Castle, they have been to Fairs, outdoor readings, parks, cafes, cemetries...

Never without at least one pack of cards.

Obsidian_Arrow

I've never heard of "seasoning" a deck, but I do know that I get really anxious if I don't have my two favorite decks in my backpack with me at all times.

tarotbear

The other day I was in need of some spellwork and took out the approrpriate stuff, which includes a copy of the Robin Wood that she signed for me. I only use that deck for spellwork and use my 'seasoned' Robin Wood for everything else.

I was shocked at how stiff it is! Of course, since it is signed I'll never use it for readings ... so if my seasoned deck needs 'retirement' I'll have to break in a new copy.

zachlost

Bottomless Soup

Seasoning A Deck is like breaking it in with your own "flavour".

Take the concept of a bottomless soup - a soup which never ends. Generally this is a vegetable based soup (as it doesn't go off as fast as meat based ones). Most of them start with vegetable stock or tomato based, but the basic principle is that they all start the same. This could said about new decks.

You buy a new deck and you begin to layer it with readings, experiences and familiarity. Occasional the surprises of life bring kinks, dents, scratches and bends to their fragile stock. If they survive the constant readings they stand to be used for another day. Some decks, or soups, are not as robust as some, and occasionally cannot be salvaged or saved.

The only difference between an unsalvagable bottomless soup and a worn out tarot deck is that keeping the deck in the freezer bares better results in the long term =D

(PS. I season my decks by lining my wooden cases/box with fragrant oils, and wrapping them in silk. I try to keep them in prestine state, but I accept that in time the edges will become softer and the cards not as slipperly smooth when the shuffle. those, to me, are often the most enjoyable decks to hold.)

Talisman

Salt and pepper, etc.

Once I started a thread about "ordering" a deck. You know, putting the deck back in numerical order and suit groupings like it was when you first took it out of the wrapping it came in. So, folks responded by saying, "I usually order from Amazon . . ."

I've never ordered a Tarot deck, so the first deck I ever had still has the first shuffle, and everything that followed, in it somewhere.

I still love a Tarot deck that is well broken in by use and experience and memories. I just read through this thread, and I also love the stories people told about their seasoned decks and all the places they'd been.

I've read about spreads people use with brand new decks, asking "What do you have to tell me ?" or somesuch. I'm afraid the answer would be cold and stiff and plastic and impersonal.

But not about wet rings beer mugs leave on tavern tables, and cold mountain air at dawn, and ocean foam marks on remote beaches, and the joy of watching pretty women walk by a sidewalk table outside a coffee shop, and how really good a warm bottle of water can taste on a hot desert day, and the bitter sweet memories of unrequited loves, and all that kind of stuff.

I'm still "seasoning" the same World Spirit deck I was using when this thread was started. It's getting there.

Talisman

catlin

Talisman said:
I've read about spreads people use with brand new decks, asking "What do you have to tell me ?" or somesuch. I'm afraid the answer would be cold and stiff and plastic and impersonal.

Not at all, dear Talisman! Remember my ages-ago post about my first experience with the Cannon Reed Witches and my ranting about the guy in green panties?

The CR Witches was a real blubbermouth although it still smelled new. It did all to persuade me to become a reading deck for me (which it still is).

Currently I am breaking in my recently traded New Orleans Voodoo Tarot. I have already taken it with me to see the Sky Disc of Nebra and to have a formidable dinner at a Spanish restaurant. I guess it liked both.

Midnightgirl

Hey - I thought I was the only one who felt odd if I didn't have my deck with me. Glad to know that others feel as attached as I do! I've only had my deck for three weeks, but I've had it with me almost the whole time. I just like to look over it, go through it and look at the pictures, try to think over the meanings, think of stories, etc.

:mg

Depereo

I have only two decks right now, and I don't plan on getting but one more (a Tarot de Marseilles, most likely). I think that decks are a very personal thing, and I can't imagine not feeling close to my deck and still reading well.

And I too tried to bring my RWS deck with me everywhere, but I have recently stopped doing this out of fear for its well-being. I want it to be safe and look good when it gets to old age. :D