The pros and cons of an oracle deck

Aesoteric

While I had my training in tarot, I love oracle decks. The individual cards of an oracle deck seem to address such different things, and you can get so much out of each card that they can practically be a mini-meditation. However, I tend to ask as many practical questions as I mystical ones, and I've found it a lot harder to get a straight answer out of an oracle deck. For example, if I ask "Do I buy the Chevrolet or the Honda?" and I pull a card from my Enchanted Map deck, getting, say, The Gentle Gardener which is about how your thoughts create your reality, I'm left feeling kind of stumped.

Are oracle decks better suited for answering questions about moods and situations rather than things or yes/no questions?

Thank you.

Dogs&Coffee

That would depend entirely on the deck. Some oracles are more suited towards practical questions, and others are more suited for existential matters.

I believe there are even "yes" "no" decks, although the only one I've seen that I actually likes is out of print now.

danieljuk

I go through phases personally of using oracle decks more often and then more often tarot decks. I like to use both.

Tarot is a structured deck, it's all sorted out in positions in a hierarchy. Oracles, although some have a form of structure are more of a free hand thing. I can use both at different times in my readings. Oracles are great for a one card reading or pulling out a card to go with a tarot reading. Tarot is great at getting in deep and seeing everything about a situation. But you can do a big spread with Oracles as well and get a great reading.

I personally would say that it depends on the deck, I find different decks better for different things. Some Oracles make their own structure and rules, that works great for a reading where you don't want the regular tarot structure. Oracles are much easier to use than Tarot, you just pick them up and use them, you don't need to learn the structure or rules.

I find it hard to compare because they are broad topics with many different decks in each area. I think Tarot does get more indepth and some Oracle decks will go deep as well but they are harder to read that way than Tarot. Oracles are more simpler, they are straight forwards.

Sometimes I like a break from the strict tarot structure but they both have a place in my divination :) I think you could use either system for most readings actually but I would use Tarot for more structured things and Oracle for a more freehand reading, just to see what it throws up.

BodhiSeed

I tend to use both tarot and oracle decks in equal measure. For me, tarot cards are like the bricks while oracles are like the cement that holds things together. I don't care for "yes/no" readings. If using cards to answer a question, I'd prefer to phrase it as "What will the outcome of this choice look like?" Maybe you could pull one tarot and one oracle card, and combine the two. :)

BeyondtheVeil

Aesoteric

While I had my training in tarot, I love oracle decks. The individual cards of an oracle deck seem to address such different things, and you can get so much out of each card that they can practically be a mini-meditation. However, I tend to ask as many practical questions as I mystical ones, and I've found it a lot harder to get a straight answer out of an oracle deck. For example, if I ask "Do I buy the Chevrolet or the Honda?" and I pull a card from my Enchanted Map deck, getting, say, The Gentle Gardener which is about how your thoughts create your reality, I'm left feeling kind of stumped.

Are oracle decks better suited for answering questions about moods and situations rather than things or yes/no questions?

Thank you.

Hello!

I think that it did answer your question.

"Your thoughts create your reality" is pretty clear. Which of the two options do you think is most reliable? Safe? Affordable? That you like the most? ETC. Then there is your answer.

I do think some Oracle Decks are better than others at certain things.

BeyondtheVeil

silvereye

That would depend entirely on the deck. Some oracles are more suited towards practical questions, and others are more suited for existential matters.

I believe there are even "yes" "no" decks, although the only one I've seen that I actually likes is out of print now.

The Angel Answers Oracle Deck by Doreen Virtue has yes no cards