Dud readings?

DJP

Hi everyone,

I wonder if I could get people's views on dud readings? That is, laying out the cards and getting nothing more than a jumble. A jumble that, try as one might, refuses to show relevance to the question/situation.

It doesn't happen often (thankfully!), and I assume it could have something to do with my beginner status, but I'd still love to get some input on this.

Thanks,
Dev.

Farzon

Well, mostly two possibilities:

Either you simply don't understand the reading yet. Or it's simply rubbish, maybe there is no concrete answer right now, or you have asked about the topic too often already.

If I'm not sure about the relevance, I try to keep the reading in mind and interpret it later again. Asking about it here on the forum is also a good idea when you're stuck.

If it's most probably simply rubbish, well, just forget it. I see this happen mostly for general readings about weekends where sometimes nothing really important will happen.

Thoughtful

This happened to me in the past with certain Tarot decks. l would get some lovely clear readings for a while, then it would all descend into a nonsensical mass of cards that said nothing to me. l soon learnt that this was my cue to put the cards aside and use other decks, if the new decks continued to be good readers l knew l had the right Tarot and the right connections.
l bought lots of Tarot until l found the one that consistently gave me good and accurate readings.
l worked with Kat Black's Golden tarot for a while, my first deck in fact, then it suddenly went of the boil, and l still get nothing from it to this day, pity.

This may not of course be your experience and it could be you had a bit of an off day, but should it continue, look to working with another Tarot and see if you resonate with it more and get consistent readings with it.

Nothing worse is there in laying out your cards and it becomes a blank page.

DJP

Thanks Farzon, I appreciate the help.

Everything you said makes sense, and I reckon your advice to chew things over is a winner.

I had already noticed how revisiting old ground in readings often produces dodgy results..... so keep on movin'.

Thanks again.

myrrhmyrrh

Hi DJP

I've been trying to keep up a journal with at least semi-daily readings and sometimes, yes, there just doesn't seem to be any relevance. This may be, as stated above, because it's a daily reading and the individual day doesn't hold much import, or indeed, that I haven't seen the importance unfold- which is the advantage of keeping a journal, with good margins and extra pages for later notes. With something like daily or weekly readings I think with a notebook you're better equipped to see how something you didn't know of was panning out or how a certain energy was trending at a given period that makes sense later.

DJP

Thoughtful,

It is a real pity the Golden tarot's gone off the boil for you - it looks exceptionally beautiful. Sympathies.

I've only ever worked with the RWS deck, but it's funny you mention trying out other options as I have had the urge to give reading the Marseille majors a go. In fact, I recently overcame an inscrutable spread by going freeform with only the RWS majors.... and they laid out like a satisfying little pictorial story.

I'll take this as a sign and give it a go. Thanks.

I wonder if printing out Yoav Ben-Dov's generously copyright-free CBD majors on card might work as a test run?

Anyway, thanks again.

Peace,
Dev.

DJP

myrrhmyrrh,

Yes, my journal keeping has been incredibly sloppy. Thanks for reminding me what an important tool it can be. I will do better, promise.

All the best.

Thoughtful

I've only ever worked with the RWS deck, but it's funny you mention trying out other options as I have had the urge to give reading the Marseille majors a go. In fact, I recently overcame an inscrutable spread by going freeform with only the RWS majors.... and they laid out like a satisfying little pictorial story.

I'll take this as a sign and give it a go. Thanks.

I wonder if printing out Yoav Ben-Dov's generously copyright-free CBD majors on card might work as a test run?

Anyway, thanks again.

Peace,
Dev.

This would most certainly be worth a try lots of readers work with Majors only, though for me l like to work with the full deck. Below is a link to a lovely site where you can see some beautiful reproductions of Marseille decks.

http://www.tarot-de-marseille-heritage.com/english/index.html

myrrhmyrrh

Believe me I'm no model! I've only been at it for less than a month and I've already had to reduce from daily readings to a few times a week. I haven't been at it enough to see the long term results but I have faith with Mary Greer that they're there.

Shade

Are you reading with a spread or just laying out cards in a line?