Suicide

BLFO

Okay, I know no one that is committing suicide, but I am curious what cards will show a person who is TRYING to commit suicide. I just want to see if these cards are separate from the typical death or dying type cards. Thanks.

Shaymus

I guess from a purely pictorial view, the Hanged Man perhaps could show a person who commits suicide.

Shaymus

Knight of Wands

8 of Cups?

3 of Swords?

willowfox

10 swords

Knight of Wands

9 of Swords could represent the mental anguish?

Kahlie

In a spread, massive amounts of Swords and sometimes also a lot of Cups.
And yes, I've seen it, at least, the inclination to maybe do it... since suicidal tendencies usually come when people are very depressed, expect very bleak cards. Sometimes a reversed Temperance can also give clues to upset bio-chemistry that would allow somebody to become so desperate to take their own lives.

Kahlie

Edited to add: They are different from 'dying' cards, depending on what a person is dying from. If it's a disease, expect Cards to show that, if it's natural aging, expect the Cards to show that.

SpiritOfTheDogz

Shaymus said:
I guess from a purely pictorial view, the Hanged Man perhaps could show a person who commits suicide.

Shaymus

He might be hanging but he doesn't look unhappy!

franniee

9 & 10 of swords together for me means trouble

possibly with the moon or the devil or the tower.... but stand alone they indicate suicidal thinking...

MareSaturni

SpiritOfTheDogz said:
He might be hanging but he doesn't look unhappy!

In some decks he looks...

Besides, i've seen many people who are actually, not happy, but IN PEACE just for thinking about leaving this life. I think the pictorial analogy would be right.

8 of cups, maybe following a strong sword cards like a 9 of Swords (could show thedesire to leave because of a internal turmoil). Possibly the Moon nearby.

The Death in a position that shows what the querent wants.

I like the idea of the reversed Temperance, although i don't use reversals...

celticnoodle

and, maybe the hanged man along with any of the cards mentioned above-9swords, 10swords, 3swords, 8cups. I don't really see temperance in it, myself. also possibly the moon or the 4 of swords, 8 of swords, or 5cups with the hanged man.