Tarot and Kabbala

beanu

Mike

MikeH said:
Beanu: I meant to suggest swapping Chariot and Judgment, not Chariot and Wheel. That probably has its pluses and minuses, too.

Argh - my bad. and you are so polite taking it as your mistake...

I read it as Chariot and Justice, instead of Chariot and Judgement

So, The chariot then represents the world of Briah - mind
that would leave Strength and Judgement together in Geburah. Hmm...
I have already swapped Death and Judgement, so they are well away from their usual tarot sequence, but it seems acceptable due to their "unique" positions. Putting Judgement into Geburah then would be a major disturbance of the sequence. I won;t say the n word yet, but it seems unlikely.
Good thinking though.

kapoore

Hi,
What Tarot talisman is on the Magician's table ( or should I say the merchant/batelevr table?) I'm looking at the Noblet and looks like cups, dice, a knife, a pencil type object, a book, and the object with three holes that looks to me like a bubble blower.

I believe there is a strong link between Pseudo-Dionysius in the Trump imagery. We covered the Pope, although we had some diagreement on the two assistants. Here is a link to a scholarly article that includes the negative method.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pseudo-dionysius-areopagite/
I have an old computer and sometimes these links don't register. The negative method is also outlined in my often mentioned article by Dale Coulter "Pseudo-Dionysius in the 12th Century Latin West." And that essay has a description of the chariot card as knowledge/prudence/and the seven liberal arts.

Frances Yates wrote an essay in Giordano Bruno and Hermeticism. Linking it, of course, with gnosticism which she seems to do with everything. But there is an important distinction between this type of Neo-Platonism and Gnosticism. Here everything is Good and from the Good. So negative theology works by saying that "God is a worm." This is based on psalm 21 in the Vulgate "I am a worm and no man.." Other starters are God is a drunk or God is asleep. From this work up the ladder of being

God is worm in that all being is in God--the idea here of a holographic universe.

In regard to this theme of holy insect. I recommend some of the northern Renaissance art featuring flies. Here are some samples. Petrus Christus, Protrait of a Carthusian Monk 1446 (note the fly on the frame); Portrait of a Lady of the Hofer Family, 1480; Master of Frankfurt, Self-Portrait of the Painter with His wife, 1496; Carlo Crivelli, Madonna with Child c 1480. I got these samples from an art article Iconology of the Fly by Andre Chastel.

Andre Castel writes, "De venustate mundi, which states that the splendor of the world begins with the minima of nature, for example the insects. By combining the classical anecdotes with the Christian idea of a universe in which everything is a marvel, one can understand why this portrait contains in full view on the parapet a perfectly discernible fly....The definition of the new naturalism is illuminated: all objects of creation are interesting, including this one, which finds itself on the lowest rung of the ladder." At the highest you find the Divine Names--Being, Source, Cause, Wisdom, Life, Light, etc.

One way to look at Ps Dionysius negative method is through riddles that are solved by unwinding a paradox. As you probably know cyphers, riddles, cryptic language were popular in the Renaissance as well. The symbolism also hides the secret tradition from the profane. pp. 153 line 145 C "Guard their unity safe from the multiplicity of what is profane, for, as scripture says, you must not throw before swine that pure, shining and splendid harmony of the conceptual pearls."

Take the Fool card. The Foolishness of God is wiser than men. This quote begins the chapter on Wisdom in Divine Names. On page 110 just above line 873 A there is this passage. "The man in union with truth knows clearly that all is well with him, even if everyone else thinks that he has gone out of his mind. What they fail to see, naturally, is that he has gone out of the path of error and has in his real faith arrived at truth. He knows that far from being mad, as they imagine him to be, he has been rescued from the instability and the constant changes which bore him along the variety of error and that he has been set free by simple immutable stable truth."

The contradiction here is that the appearance of the mad man who looks unstable is actually in union with truth and stability.

Here is Waite's Fool on page 213 line 429B "Then, freely and untrammeled by anything beneath him, he returns to his own starting point without having any loss. In his mind he journeys toward the One."

The contradiction is that the Fool looks as if he is about to go off the cliff because there isn't "anything beneath him." But in reality he has no loss and he is moving to the One (union).

Ecstasy is a kind of madness, a loss of sense of self where one is literally out of the body and belongs to something else, which looks from the outside like madness.

kapoore

Hi Mike,
Just a post script. Not ALL the imagery on the Trumps come directly from Ps D, although I believe it is the context. I'll give you a few possible examples with the Noblet. Dogs in Psalm 21:17 (Vulgate) "For many dogs have encompassed me."
Or "Deliver, O God, my soul from the sword: my only one from the hand of the dog." The genitals could symbolize the "seeds" in the Psalm 21 "Let all the seed of Jacob, glorify him."

In the Noblet Hang Man Psalm 21 (Vulgate) is suggestive 21:15 "I am poured out like water.." 18 "They have dug my hands and feet they have numbered my bones" The outstretched fingers as if they are being counted.

21:16 "My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue hath cleaved to my jaws: and thou has brought me down into the dust of death." The tongue in Hang Man and the Death image--the Death card

21:22 "Save me from the lion's mouth.." Possibly the Strength card.

This same Psalm is prominent in the Ps D corpus with the primary image.
"But I am a worm and no man..."

So, my suggestion is that Ps Dionysius might be a context but discreet imagery like the tongue, the genitals, the fingers, the dog, the lion's mouth...relate to imagery from Scripture that Ps Dionysius uses like Psalm 21.

MikeH

Beanu: I'm confused. I thought Judgment was for you the middle 6 cards, Briah, and Death the next 6, Yetsirah. Why the switch? Making Death the mental realm and Judgment the emotional realm doesn't make sense to me. Or are you talking about a different switch?

What I was proposing was making Chariot the mental realm (and emotion under the control of reason), keeping Death as the emotional realm (lower emotions), and having Judgment be one of the steps in Briah in the ascent. (And of course if Judgment is the card for Yetsirah that makes no sense.) It's perfectly ok not to accept my suggestion, of course, I just want to make sure we understand each other.

Also, are you trying to correlate cards and planets with the meanings of the Hebrew names for the sefirot, or just where they are on the tree? If so, what meanings are you using?

Kapoore: You or somebody once said that Kircher correlated Ps-D's hierarchy with the sefirot. What does that look like, and can these correlations be extended to the tarot trumps? And where can I find the Vulgate in English on-line? In the on-line Bibles that come up on Google, your quotes are from the 22nd psalm and read somewhat differently. "Poured out like water" could also apply to the Temperance image.

MikeH

Kapoore: What I identify as a magical Kabbalist talisman is I think what you identify as a bubble blower. It of course makes no sense that an actual conjuror would have such a thing on his table: he would get run out of town if he did. I see it is a visual pun, for those who know (like many such images in the cards, such as the knife in the Conver pope card). For similar objects, see "Sefer Raziel" article on Wikipedia and also http://www.kabalatalisman.com/Talismans/

beanu

MikeH said:
Beanu: I'm confused. I thought Judgment was for you the middle 6 cards, Briah, and Death the next 6, Yetsirah. Why the switch? Making Death the mental realm and Judgment the emotional realm doesn't make sense to me. Or are you talking about a different switch?

Hi Mike. Sorry, I've been doing my forum stuff in quick snatches in between other stuff, not thinking things through, explaining myself badly, and not reading accurately. I'll try to make amends for that now.

My sequence is based on being fairly close to laying out the cards in their normal numbered sequence, with some "minor" adjustments, starting at the top of the tree and working down. One of the constraints I place on myself is that I don't accept changes in that sequence too easily.
(I also accept Waite's card swap as one of them, because I started workign with Waite)

another issue is that the layout of cards can be read as either the descent or the ascent, with some cards being part of both - i.e. having two different but related meanings (i.e. judgement and death)

Working as the Descent, the normal ordering of cards puts Death as the Card for Briah, and Judgement as the card for Yetzirah. ( I still uncertain as to whether this implies an error in the sequence, deliberate or accidental)
Working as the Ascent, I swap these two.

My best justification for the normal ordering in the Descent, goes along the lines of:
In the Descent, the three special cards represent a transition to the world below. In Atziluth, the One divides into the Two, male and female. The Lovers then represent the attraction between the two, and the nature of being separated. This influence drives the world of Briah - the rationalisation of the divided nature.
Next comes the Death card - mortality, The soul becomes incarnate and must deal with a finite lifespan (or at least a series of them with memory gaps between). The result is the world of emotions, yetzirah - fear of death, liusts, needs, short-term goals and glory. The need to be remembered after death.
Then come religions with their promise of rebirth (Judgement Day),
which leaves us to get on with the day-to-day material process of living.

In the Ascent, the three special cards go as I have described previously, with the death of the emotional mind being replaced by the birth of the rational mind of the spirit,
In each case, ascent or descent, death has to come before rebirth.

So, I tolerate my severe disruption of the normal sequence by swapping Judgement and Death, when working the Ascent (which is more relevant to our human condition), on the assumption that the cards are normally sequenced for the descent.

When I do rearrange cards, I am working on the assumption that there are errors in the normal sequence, caused by
1) normal "chinese whispers" effect introducing error. This may have happened before they started numbering the cards
2) various authors adding their own twists (as I am doing)
3) deliberate obfuscation of the pattern, as would be almost mandatory among occultists.
4) There is no "original" pattern, but we are working towards one. Tarot may be just one more attempt to synthesize a common philosophy from many, as nearly all religious and philosophical authors try to do. Hence adjustments to the sequence are the natural evolution of the cards in operation.

However, If I swap Judgement for Chariot, then the sequence is just plain messed up. Swapping Death for Chariot would be closer to the original sequence, but the overall meaning would be greatly changed.

MikeH said:
What I was proposing was making Chariot the mental realm (and emotion under the control of reason), keeping Death as the emotional realm (lower emotions), and having Judgment be one of the steps in Briah in the ascent. (And of course if Judgment is the card for Yetsirah that makes no sense.) It's perfectly ok not to accept my suggestion, of course, I just want to make sure we understand each other.
I see what you are tying to do. However, let me give another example of a "big picture" card that is in a relatively minor position - the Tower Card.
The Tower sits on rock, has a crown at the top, with a lightning strike"upon" it, and people falling.
If the rock is Malkuth, and
the Crown is Kether, and
the Lightning is the lightning strike down the tree - the sequence through the sefira,
then the Tower is the tree itself, top to bottom.
In alchemy, there is the Tower of Alchemy that can only be climbed by those who know the Ladder of the Wise, so the falling people are those who don't know the ladder. Also indicative of the Fall (lucifer) as is also represented by the Devil card.
All in all, it says to me that in the Descent, Lucifer fell from the Crown to Earth. We can climb back up if we know the Ladder of the Wise. The LAtter of the wise is the Tree of Life, and perhaps the Tarot upon it.
I don't mean to start a side discussion on the Tower or the Devil, just to say that, at the appropriate point in the ascent, we encounter the concept of the entire map of the ascent, whether it be ladder or tower or tree or Tarot, etc.
But that reference to the big pattern does not occupy a major position in the system. It simply exists at the right point in time in the ascent.
Similarly, The chariot exists at the right point in Geburah in Briah. It is the point at which the sharp, intellectual mind (Plato) figures out the cosmology that explains what he has learnt so far (emotions), what he is learning now (figuring out his world) and a vision of where he will be going next.
It is a lesson to the rational mind that the rational mind is not the ultimate.
The rational mind is the white horse, and the student must aspire to become the charioteer, harnessing the power of both emotions and mind, without BEING either emotions or mind.
This theory of mine seems to be supported by the next cards in the ascent - Chesed, Hanged Man, Hermit which show the rational mind evolving its pure logic into a form of self-sacrifice, the realisation that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one" (Star Trek - Spock), and hence the beginings of the spiritual life.

MikeH said:
Also, are you trying to correlate cards and planets with the meanings of the Hebrew names for the sefirot, or just where they are on the tree? If so, what meanings are you using?

Difficult to answer, as I am working backwards from the present, while historians work forwards from the past.
I guess its just the positions on the tree. I had an earlier pattern that just expressed what I saw in the cards. Then someone pointed out that my pattern could easily be mapped onto the tree. Further examinations indicated a good fit.

My basic hypothesis is that the Tarot is an attempt to synthesize a whole bunch of prior religion and philosophy. The traces of all sorts of things can be seen in it. I am trying to figure out what the guiding influences of the original author(s) was. So, I'll take whatever fits best with the mindset of of the renaissance, and its earlier influences.
I also allow for the possibility that the Tarot was a "best fit", and not necessarily a perfect synthesis.

So, I started with the Tarot, found a patter, mapped it to Tree of Life, refined the interpretations etc. Then I added Alchemical images, refined the theory and interpretations, Now I'm looking at astrology, and anything this forum of experts can provide.

As for Astrology, whatever fits best. Italy, being Roman, would probably use the Roman astrology,
except that this is the renaissance, and the older stuff is considered the better. Which indicates Greek, or egyptian, etc.
Since The renaissance used Plato, then I must also consider what influence Greek astrology had on Plato, and so forth.
Ultimately, its a "best fit" process.

I haven't yet considered the gemmatria of the names. I have a personal aversion to such systems, especially the Platonic numerology, dating from the day I learned to do math in various radixes other than the usual base-10. (for example, "casting out 9s" in base 10 would equate to casting out 7s in base-8, and give very different results) But I should consider it, because that is what they believed then. It also gives different sequencing of ideas, as you have pointed out.

Historically, the Tarot seems to date from about the time that the Zohar was evolving from other theories (that synthetic effect again), so its difficult to tell which systems actually influenced the Tarot. It is likely that the Zohar and the Tarot had common ancestors, rather than one coming from the other.

Then there are more remote influences, such as the German links.
Is the Hanged man
Odin hanging from the world tree, or
Zeus being hidden from his father, or
Plato's soul becoming inverted as it incarnates, or
an italian shaming technique, or
a synthesis of several of these?

I doubt whether history is ever going to tell us this, or not for the whole majors arcana at any rate. For me at least, there are two "right" answers.
One is what the designers were thinking at the time,
and the other is what the synthesis might eventually become - one best fit answer to it all- Life the universe and everything.

So, any comments you have on any related topic - names of sephira, numerical systems, astrology systems, opinions of the times,etc.
are all welcome. I just can't say what I will ultimately accept personally.
Furthermore, I don't claim "ownership" of this system. It is an attempt at re-discovery, not a new proprietary system. By all means swap hards for you own use, promote your ideas, etc.

The ultimate guide to what's in, whats out, is simply a best fit over all available data.

And I'm rambling. Bye for now.

beanu

Kircher

There is an image of the Kircher system, take from Manly P Hall, on my website,
under the summary of the tree section.
If you can't find it, I'll post you a direct link via PM.

B

beanu

I've just noticed, on the cover of Dion Fortune - The Mystical Qabalah,
that there is a symbol of a chariot in Geburah.

A quick bit of web-searching indicates that this is the Magickal image of Geburah.
Most of the articles quoting it seem to have a strong Golden Dawn influence. It may take some time to figure out how far back this goes. Any input welcome.

Another similar site with Buddhist slant also referred to the Solar Lion of the Law,which is reminiscent of Strength (fortitude.)

Both of these support the placement of Strength and Chariot in Geburah, as per my system, but of course the big question is WHY.

beanu

Here is a brief outline of the magickal images for the ten Sephirah.
Again, I believe this to be Gold Dawn Specific, but must have its origins somewhere.

Kether
======
ancient bearded king seen in profile
A human face looking toward the viewer's right,

Chokmah
=======
An old man
a Bearded Male Figure

Binah
=====
An old woman with long hair
a mature woman or matron

Chesed
======
The Crowned and Throned King

Geburah
=======
Mighty warrior in his chariot

Tipharet
========
a small child

Netzach
=======
A beautiful nude woman

Hod
===
Hermaphrodite

Yesod
======
A beautiful naked man, very strong

Malkuth
=======
A young woman, throned and crowned

beanu

Some visual similarities to the RWS Tarot

Chokmah
=======
An old man
a Bearded Male Figure

Could be the Emperor.

Binah
=====
An old woman with long hair
a mature woman or matron

The Empress.

Chesed
======
The Crowned and Throned King

Justice? (This is a deviation from my usual system, but in an area of some doubt anyway.)

Geburah
=======
Mighty warrior in his chariot

The Chariot card

Tipharet
========
a small child
The Sun Card

Netzach
=======
A beautiful nude woman

The Star

Hod
===
Hermaphrodite

The Devil/Baphomet?

Does anyone know where GD drew its influences from for these images?