Golden Dawn Magical Tarot

Le Fanu

Actually quite nice. As a kit I think it's probably the best out there in that the book which comes with it is excellent. Really good indepth and thorough explanations of the Golden Dawn system. I mean, I'm no expert but it seems to be an excellent, accessible analysis judging by the little I know and how readable the book actually is.

I think I was swayed by the astrological stuff. I know nothing about astrology and after reading this I felt informed which is a massive compliment to the authors as I have the biggest mental block in history of astrological stuff.

The cards are reasonably attractive . They are brightly coloured and I feel a natural "liking" for them which doesn't happen often as I'm quite critical of simple artwork in this style but these are very nice to work with. Only criticism? Large white borders which don't bother me but may bother others. Also Llewellyn cardstock, seems thin but - really - I don't feel that they won't last.

I think of this as a very good all-in-one thorough kit which if you studied only this deck and the book for twenty years would be twenty years well spent accumulating significant and timeless tarot knowledge.

Carla

Ace! That is a ringing endorsement, LeFanu, and confirmation of what I suspected about this deck. Okay, that's one tick FOR, then!

Zephyros

The Ciceros are excellent teachers, and I like their books. While looking for a Golden Dawn deck I was more attracted to the Hermetic, but I suppose that's just a matter of taste.

Le Fanu

The Ciceros are excellent teachers, and I like their books. While looking for a Golden Dawn deck I was more attracted to the Hermetic, but I suppose that's just a matter of taste.
Yes, I think artistically I prefer the Hermetic but I find it a bit impenetrable! I mean, I think so much of me being swayed by the Golden Dawn Magical Tarot was the helpfulness of the book whereas the Hermetic is just out there in the wilderness being impenetrable! :D

At least with this one I feel I have a chance.

Grigori

I would echo Le Fanu's comments. I think the companion book is excellent, and useful for any deck from the Golden Dawn and Thoth traditions. I especially found the use of the Golden Dawn colour scales in this deck useful, and studying it helped me understand this as I'd not been able to to previously. It's not as artistically stunning as other decks out there, but I find this part of it's appeal. It's a deck that makes me think "I could do that" and I think is useful for folks who may have not been comfortable with the hermetic tarot traditions otherwise. I tend to use it for study rather than practice, but it's high on my list of decks to not be without. My main criticism would be that I dislike the backs which are a solid black with a GD symbol on them. I'd be happier if this had been painted rather than computer generated perhaps.

Carla

I am convinced and I've just ordered it. :)

Richard

I don't especially like what I've seen of the Cicero cards, but then I'm not overly fond of the Dowson Hermetic or Wang Golden Dawn images either. The companion book sounds like a winner, but I can't justify spending the $22.00+. I think I'll just make do with the Wang deck for the hard core GD stuff. I have an older edition of Regardie's big fat GD book for details, and it includes the indispensable Book T. Crowley's Thoth book is good too, provided one makes appropriate allowances for its Thelemic bias ;).

Carla

I don't especially like what I've seen of the Cicero cards, but then I'm not overly fond of the Dowson Hermetic or Wang Golden Dawn images either. The companion book sounds like a winner, but I can't justify spending the $22.00+. I think I'll just make do with the Wang deck for the hard core GD stuff. I have an older edition of Regardie's big fat GD book for details, and it includes the indispensable Book T. Crowley's Thoth book is good too, provided one makes appropriate allowances for its Thelemic bias ;).

Of the ones you mentioned, the GD Magical Tarot has been my favourite, and the book is highly recommended, so I think it was a good choice for me. I'm new to it all, and it seems reputable. :)

Carla

I received this deck yesterday and I like it very much. Disappointingly, several of the cards in the pentacles suit are printed off kilter, so that the image sits crooked on the card. The backs are also skewed, so I 'm guessing the card went into the printer at a slight angle (or something). Flaws like this really catch the eye when you're examining a deck, but it's been my experience that when reading, I don't pay any attention at all to flaws, so I'm sure it will be fine. Otherwise, I could trim the white borders, as the backs are also in alignment, though this would creat quite a small and chunky deck of cards, so I will leave that option for now.

The deck is very good. I would put the art work on par with the Sol Invictus deck: that is to say, it seems to have been created by someone who can't draw, but who is motivated to do so anyway and soldiers on to complete drawings that would be praised by a 6th grade art teacher. This doesn't bother me at all. I am mindful that Golden Dawn students were required to create their own tarot decks based on the descriptions given, and this deck looks like the kind of thing that I, having no artistic talent at all, might have produced after hours, months or even years of devoted labour. It makes me feel kindly toward the deck and lends it a sort of personal feeling.

I like that the air, water, fire, earth symbols are present on the courts and minors. I appreciate that the Hebrew letter and the astrological symbol are there at the bottom of the majors. I like that the planetary and astrological symbols are included on the minors. All of this information is also present on the Thoth deck.

Which brings me round to another observation. I know this is not a Thoth deck, but it is a Golden Dawn deck, and so there are lots of similarities between the two present in the images on the cards. I like this because Lady Frieda Harris's artwork is so stylized and skilled, the symbols so integrated into the lines of the art, it is sometimes hard to pick them up or understand why they're there. In this deck, they are rather guilessly included and easy to see. For example, the Princess of Cups. In the Thoth, she looks like she has a swan lighting on her head. In GDMT, she is clearly wearing a stylized swan headdress, which is echoed on her belt and the shield at her feet.

Now to the book. It is really brilliant, and worth purchasing on its own, or the whole kit is worth purchasing just for the book, even if you hate the deck. The book spells everything out simply and efficiently, and for the first time (even having read Lon Milo DuQuette) I feel I have a chance of learning the basics of Qabalah, the Tree of Life, and other Golden Dawn attributes.

I'm really happy I chose this kit -- and I can't believe it's from Llewellyn!