Royal Fez Moroccan - Rigel Press Lt Ed Variations

Wil_Mac

Does anyone have a copy of the limited edition Rigel Press Royal Moroccan Fez tarot?

I have two versions, one of which (144/500) has a yellow label on the front of the box and irregular card sizes in the deck. The major arcana and the court cards are slightly smaller than the pips. Everything is the same about the label, except the coloring and that it has no publication year at the bottom.

I have a second, "PROOF" copy, which looks to be more like the other two copies I have seen with a pink label on the front and regular card sizes. The label is exactly like the others I have seen, except that it does have the year "1970" at the bottom.

Right now, deck 242 is available on abebooks.com (without 1970) and deck 437 (with 1970) is available on ebay. I'm wondering if anyone has a copy of this deck for comparison purposes.

Were there two or three printings of the "limited edition" 500 copies? Why would some have 1970 on them and some not? Why does one copy have a yellow label and the others pink while the year is on the bottom of some and not the others?

Stuart Kaplan's Encyclopedia of Tarot doesn't appear to clarify.

Anyone know the story?

Attachments

• Royal Fez 242.jpg
    Royal Fez 242.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 419
  • Royal Fez 437.jpg
    Royal Fez 437.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 450
  • Royal Fez 144.jpg
    Royal Fez 144.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 436
  • Royal Fez Proof.jpg
    Royal Fez Proof.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 380

Bluefeet

Congrats on acquiring this rare edition! I was bidding on the "proof" copy on Ebay as well but was outbid in the last few seconds. I don't know too much about it's history either, but I think it's an utterly charming deck. Well done! :)

Here's an older thread about this original edition, which is very helpful: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=79325

Tarotwolf

I have a pink and green copy. The box with the light green cover card is missing the "1970" and is #27/500. The second deck with the pinkish cover card has the "1970" printed on it and is#118/500. I have noticed that there is a variation in the blue coloration of the backs. There are light and darker shades of blue and there is a very slight difference in the cut length. I just now noticed that all the lighter colored backs are slightly longer than the darker backs on the cards I compared. This applies to both decks. The odd thing is that the color variations/lengths occur within even the same suits. I would have thought it more likely between majors/minors or even between different suits.
Both decks come with a smaller card giving a one word meaning for all of the minor arcana, the majors are not listed. Both decks are also gilded and come in identical boxes.

Tarotwolf

A couple photos of the two decks (I couldn't resist getting Ruby in the shot). The color differences between the blue backs didn't show up in these photos, but it's very obvious in person.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 393

Tarotwolf

photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 393

Wil_Mac

I have a pink and green copy. The box with the light green cover card is missing the "1970" and is #27/500. The second deck with the pinkish cover card has the "1970" printed on it and is#118/500. I have noticed that there is a variation in the blue coloration of the backs. There are light and darker shades of blue and there is a very slight difference in the cut length. I just now noticed that all the lighter colored backs are slightly longer than the darker backs on the cards I compared. This applies to both decks. The odd thing is that the color variations/lengths occur within even the same suits. I would have thought it more likely between majors/minors or even between different suits.
Both decks come with a smaller card giving a one word meaning for all of the minor arcana, the majors are not listed. Both decks are also gilded and come in identical boxes.

Interesting. We need to find someone that has the "same number" as one of these to see if there are various "limited editions"! Can't say the first 200 had yellow decals and the last 300 didn't since you've got 118 with the "1970" on it and I've got 144 with the yellow/light green decal without "1970". I haven't seen anyone on the net or in print observing these details, just folks gouging the crud out of the prices! It's unbelievable how much people are asking for these!

Sumada

Hi guys, firstly let me say I really appreciate folk with a similar passion for details like this - I'm considered a freak, even in my own household!
I have one of these with the pink label on a blue box dated 1970 - #270/500 with pale blue backs of differing hues. Perhaps you could start a database of known examples to help sort this all out. Rushing for work now but I'll check this thread later...

Dan S

mine also has a dark blue box with pink front sheet and gold slipcase, 105/500, 1970 printed on the bottom of the sheet, and gilded cards

eta, cards predominantly dark blue, some with a greenish cast

Debra

I imagine they printed up a bunch of labels in pink and yellow. It was 1970. Things were more fun then.

Anyway, I have 148, in pink.

Sure, I'd sell it for US$ 2,062.45--and what the hell, free shipping.