Llewellyn's Classic Tarot

greatdane

GoldenVI

I don't really mind the cardstock (I have, and have seen, worse) or the backs, but I do wonder if the printing will hold up or will rub off. I guess time will tell.

The backs really don't bother me, I have seen much worse. They're not my favorite, but they're fine for me.

It's definitely the images themselves that make this deck. I really love the colors a lot and I think it is detailed nicely. I like the faces for the most part. I really like the Hermit, the Three of Swords, the Six of Swords, so many stand out for me. I'm edging them in Faded Denim ink tonight :).

Would I have paid more than the 23 and change (INCLUDING shipping) I did? Probably not. But for the money, I don't think a bad deal.

feynrir

I finally caved and bought this one recently myself. I love it even more than I thought I did! :D (It was my go-to Fool's Dog app.)

Color use in this deck is by far my favorite aspect of it. Everything is so clean, and the poses are rather organic and well-composed reimaginings of the Smith-Waite deck. It gets more beautiful every time I look at it, and that's something I didn't foresee happening.

The bookstore cashier actually took the box in her hands and looked at it for a good moment before scanning it, saying, "These cards are just gorgeous." And I couldn't help but feel reaffirmed in my (somewhat minority) opinion (among the other tarot readers) here!

The faces of some of the figures are a bit too stark or stoic in many cases...but this actually echoes the figures' expressions in the original Smith-Waite deck IMO.

Llewellyn cardstock ages a bit quickly due to thinness and lack of heavier lamination as we all know, but then I don't like pristine cards very much. So the cardstock is actually pleasing to me, too, and shuffles lovely.

Lastly (kind-of digressively), I rewatched a favorite music video today--"Miss Atomic Bomb" by The Killers. And the comic book feel of the video made me think of this deck, and it was a very pleasant feeling. The aesthetic resonates well :D

A bit ranty, sorry. Just expressing my love for this deck because it doesn't seem to be one that many of us more seasoned collectors/readers are gravitating toward heavily.

Quester

I love this deck too! The colors are vibrant and the characters seem to fit the deck perfectly. I am also hoping that the card stock lasts as it does seem a bit on the thin side.

greatdane

It looks great edged in Faded Jeans Tim Holtz ink :). Just really gives the deck a finished look. I am glad I got the deck. I love how it looks and shuffles. If it doesn't last forever, I can get a new one! I doubt it will go oop soon.

KristinCali

So I was all set on getting this deck then I saw the man in the moon! NOOO! Why did they add a mans face in the moon :( In any deck, the star, moon, and world cards are deal breakers for me if I don't like them.

G6

Ugh Card Stock

Card Stock was the deal breaker for me. I traded it away. Another deck that is worthy of a "professional" or "premium" edition with better card stock.

ETA: I don't even remember when old threads resurface sometimes, lol! Sorry for the repeat! Maybe the card stock needed a X2! ;-)

greatdane

I like this deck more for readings for others

If I were to take a choice of a few decks to read for those not necessarily familiar with tarot, this would likely be one I would consider. I think non-readers can identify with the images, it has nice coloring.
Is it my favorite deck? No, but it has it's purpose for me.

AnjouTwo

Missing cards

Just a quick prompt for people who buy this deck to count their cards. My deck was missing 6 cards (including all the Knights), and while Llewellyn quickly sent out replacements it was something of an inconvenience.

INIVEA

Llewellyn's Classic Tarot ~ I want

well I actually like the looks of this deck, I would so love to get it, even though there are some con's to it, like the card stock. Geez I am hoping that when I have the money I don't get a set that is missing cards, that would be such a downer, especially with me have to really budget my funds.

INIVEA

Finally bought the Llewellyn's Tarot Deck

Did anyone notice this, first who did the art work for the RWS deck? Ahem, was it Pamela Colman Smith, by golli, I'm and your right. Now who did the artwork for the Llewellyn's Classic Tarot? Hmmmm is it Eugene Smith.

Talk about coincidence or what, hmmm maybe soul walk-in (reincarnation) here to update the deck. Is it a clone? Hehe in away yes, but in another way no.

Anyways, just had to mention it, seem it wasn't noticed or mentioned anywhere in this thread or in reviews. I actually really love this connection. Original Smith ( feminine) and Revised New Smith (masculine). It's like a perfect marriage set in different time zones (parallel Universe's). I will forever always call this deck, THE SMITH AND SMITH TAROT, Book by Barbara Moore. Llewellyn could so have easily called this THE SMITH TAROT, Hehe :D

On another note, I had luck on my side, no missing cards, this deck is the Smith deck I have been pining for, I have RWS deck, but the artwork didn't appeal to me, with the new Smith deck, wow now we're talking and so appealing. Both Smith's decks are beautifully symbolic, and the New Smith does stay true to the symbolic meanings of the Original Smith deck.

The one thing I noticed with my Smith deck, it could be just mine after looking at images online, is the card backs are not reversible, the background blue is softer and lighter ( upright) end, Darker on the (reversed) end. Darn, I will always be able know in advance which card is upright or reversed before I turn the card over. Unless I stick to just reading without reversals.

Overall I like all the cards in the deck, even the imbalanced Justice, to me it speaks getting into balance and try to maintain it. I like the devil in this deck, head is much smaller than the devil in the new PALLADINI Tarot, lol

ETA: I had a News flash of insight. I Have new Abbreviation for this Deck, wanna hear? Okay you ready, here it is;

LMS - Llewellyn Moore Smith

Just like

RWS - Rider Waite Smith

Lol, yeah I thought you would like it :D