searching for a deck

Tender Heart

Hello community! So wonderful to be here.
I came across a deck about a year ago when I was dating another reader. The deck was beautiful and had the most amazing drawings. The ones I remember are:
-the Ace of Wands was a red tree branch-like object, with bands of colours and other symbols around it
-either the World or the Wheel of Fortune was the Kabbalah tree of life.
-the Knights were called Princes

...and that's about all I can recall.
Any help naming this deck would be much appreciated! Thank you!

nisaba

Hang about, the red-tree-ace sounds familiar to me. I can't anchor it in my mind, though - the Golden Dawn deck? The Haindl, perhaps? (based on the fact that I can't picture the Haindl Ace at the moment)

Aeric

The red tree Ace of Wands with colours around it is the card description for Golden Dawn-based decks that closely follow the required documentation. Some GD decks call the Kings Princes, but not the Knights.

Look through this list, see if you recognize it. To me it sounds like the Golden Dawn Temple Tarot.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/golden-dawn.shtml

It's definitely not the Thoth, whose Ace of Wands looks like a flaming torch without other colours.

jema

Must be the first time I ever heard the words amazing and beutiful in connection with that Wang deck.
:-D

nisaba

<mortified> I obviously haven't used it in too long. I *love* that deck. And I remember the Ace now, but in my defence I don't think many of the Aces have emerged in very many readings, and it has been well over a year since I pulled it out <scrabbles around guiltily>.

I originally met a particular friend of mine in the 1970s. At that time I was a teenager, he was in his forties. Lovely guy. He had been the very-much-younger partner of a student of Israel Regardie, who designed the symbolism of this deck and got Wang to illustrate it. So I bought it for that reason and that reason only - a personal attachment.

The spare, light-handed design appealed to me. The two-dimensionality of the figurework appealed to me - anything *too* real doesn't move you into myth, whilst this deck definitely does. And unillustrated pips are always a bonus, allowing your intuition to roam freely instead of being tied into a stranger's perception of what the card might be about.

Gonna have to use it very regularly again. I did for years. I can't remember why I put it aside, now - probably nothing more than a sense that it had had its fair share of my attention. :)