The Lover's Path Tarot Study Group

Sophie-David

darwinia said:
Not at all, I don't consider it an infection, disease or addiction. I have about 80 decks of cards, not just tarot, and they are a joyful gateway to creativity for me. BTW I like your page on Healing Art.
Thank you for visiting. I'm not very happy with the photo on that page however - when those foxgloves are in bloom I'll be trying again.

darwinia said:
I am never embarrassed or ashamed of collecting cards or discussing them, nor would I feel a need to blame your delightful enthusiasm for my desire for the deck. It means something to me because it means something to me, I don't consider it a fault in any case.
No neither do I - it was just humour...

darwinia said:
I suppose I like to read different things but I don't care to adhere to credo whether it comes from a wizard or a psychologist. I find people constraining in the extreme, especially in groups. My rationality finds Jungian archetypes constraining, although interesting, and psychological theory constraining, although interesting, and political and mystical theories both severely constraining and uninteresting, and Dr. Phil absolutely abhorrant and not at all pertinent to my intellect or relevant in any way to anyone rational.
Ha, ha - we're going to get along famously. :) You are quite right I think, not to accept authority without question. But I do like this particular psychologist and I think his clinical and spiritual experiences have given him some useful insights. And any models can be useful tools in helping one come to new growth.

But I freely agree that my psyche has adapted to the Jungian model as a convenience along the way, to further its progress. Its like letting children free in a room full of paints and paper and leaving them to their instincts for a while - they are bound to come up with some interesting results with the media you have given them. To use the tools effectively you have to tentatively suspend judgement, to believe in them, whether it is Tarot or psychology or religion. The important thing, I think, is not to let the tools become dogma: to allow the metaphor to become the meaning.

darwinia said:
Oh, and David, my memory of the Lion's Gate Bridge is of a dark night in summer 1976 when the bridge was all lit up in the rain and David Bowie's song "Fame" was on the radio.

Magic.
They have recently refurbished the bridge and it looks even more splendid - especially the way it leaps across the water and dives into the virgin forest of Stanley Park. I am just on business in Vancouver this week and when we went across the bridge that special moment returned to me - I suppose the bridge will always be a sacred place now, a Lover's Path.

gypsy_morrigan

Hello, I'd love to join this study group! I eagerly awaited this deck's release, since I love the Goddess Tarot and Kris's artwork. It has more than fulfilled my expectations! I can't wait until the book comes out. As a musician and a lover of literature and mythology, as well as just a lover :), this deck speaks to me on all the right levels and I'm anxious to get to know it better.

irisa

The Buddha said "Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it; not in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations; not in anything because it is spoken and rumoured by many; not in anything because it is found written in your spiritual texts; not in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders, but only after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it". (Kalama Sutta).

Works for me... :)

irisa

darwinia

Sophie-David said:
The important thing, I think, is not to let the tools become dogma: to allow the metaphor to become the meaning.

I was drawing mandalas in the summer and I drew one upon the sudden death of one of my cats. In the picture I had put a snake surrounding the inner circular design. I got such a kick out of this because I was sure Jungians would have had a field day with this and turn it into some hugely menacing psychological burden of mine. Snakes were a prominent archetype to Jung.

In reality it was a representation of a garter snake my cat had killed and then kept throwing up in the air and catching one sunny day in the garden. It was a clear memory of his joy and exuberance that I wanted to celebrate.

It still makes me chuckle. So much for metaphor and psychological interpretation. Sometimes things are simply what they are.

I'm off again, just dropped by. Might drop by again if I get the deck. Thanks for your comments.

Sophie-David

gypsy_morrigan said:
Hello, I'd love to join this study group! I eagerly awaited this deck's release, since I love the Goddess Tarot and Kris's artwork. It has more than fulfilled my expectations! I can't wait until the book comes out. As a musician and a lover of literature and mythology, as well as just a lover :), this deck speaks to me on all the right levels and I'm anxious to get to know it better.
Hello Gypsy

Yes, I am growing to appreciate the deck more and more also. Please feel free to join in at any time...

Irisa - I like the quote from Buddha. For me, Jungian models do seem to explain my recent experiences quite well, as does Tarot and astrology.

darwinia said:
...I was sure Jungians would have had a field day with this and turn it into some hugely menacing psychological burden of mine. Snakes were a prominent archetype to Jung.
Actually I think the snake is usually a positive Jungian symbol: rebirth and the circle of life.

darwinia said:
In reality it was a representation of a garter snake my cat had killed and then kept throwing up in the air and catching one sunny day in the garden. It was a clear memory of his joy and exuberance that I wanted to celebrate.

It still makes me chuckle. So much for metaphor and psychological interpretation. Sometimes things are simply what they are.
Yes of course. But of course Jungian interpretations could apply here as well - your cat was certainly participating in the circle of life.

darwinia said:
I'm off again, just dropped by. Might drop by again if I get the deck. Thanks for your comments.
Well then, I hope you get the deck. :)

David

darwinia

Sophie-David said:
Well then, I hope you get the deck.

It's on order from Chapters, I should get it in the mail next week.

Snakes are both positive and negative in Jungian analysis. Like tarot and reversed meanings, or since I don't use reversals, like tarot and all meanings. I never thought of rebirth and the circle of life though--thanks!

irisa

At last!

My Lovers Path has arrived.

Absolutely.... stunning.... I'm almost speechless.... :)

irisa

darwinia

Absolutely.... stunning.... I'm almost speechless.... :)

Mmmm. Sounds yummy.

Has a favourite card or couple popped out at you yet? I always like to hear the first impressions of what card pops out at people as being remarkable and the ONE card they will always remember touched them first.

irisa

Darn it... I've had absolutely NO time to sit down quietly with them... isn't that just so typical... but the minute I do I'll let you know darwina :)

irisa

darwinia

Favourite Card

I just got this in the mail today, only an hour until I have to go to work, but. . .

My favourite card is the Ten of Coins. I love the vista thing going on with it and the gates. It reminds me very much of some of the cards in the Arthurian Tarot, where you feel you can journey into the scene like going through a door. Plus, it has a beautiful valley with green trees and the border is lovely. It's just the kind of art I like. It's the only Ten of Coins card I have ever liked.

My second favourite is VII - Desire with Tristan and Isolde (because it reminds me of an Arthur Rackham illustration.) I like that Kris used that as symbolism on the Chariot, it gives it a bit of energy and understanding of the word "driven." Nothing drives people like the biological imperative, love potions notwithstanding.

I have a few comments about Penelope--just forgot which card she is on, but will get back to it.