The Lover's Path Tarot Study Group

darwinia

I am putting this in the general study thread rather than a thread for a specific card because it has some generalizations about tarot study.

I mentioned in my previous post how I had something to say about Penelope. I was quite, quite delighted to see her in the Lover's Path Tarot because she was my gateway to The Odyssey and further exploration of the book and characters.

When I was a teenager, I took up needlepoint, and the double stranded type of needlepoint canvas is called Penelope canvas. I have a beige -coloured Penelope canvas which is a count of 11 stitches to the inch. When I split the threads apart it becomes 22 count canvas--that's the point of making it with the double strands. I use this with two strands of embroidery floss to make petit point rugs for my dollhouses. I've done a hall runner in colonial reds and a Chinese blue and white rug for the music room, and I am currently working on a large rug for a child's room with random motifs of houses and animals and flowers.

So, named after Penelope, a famous needlewoman from legend, I always feel that using this canvas is a grounded sort of thing, an ultra-feminine connection to history and excellence in workmanship and design. It's a very elegant craft, and makes me feel like a grand lady in an English country house needling petit point fire screens for the drawing room, while the gardener nurtures mushrooms in the shed out back for my steak and kidney pie that Cook will do up for supper. It's a connection to being human and the whole history and experience of humanity.

That's what I like about Tarot cards, these little tangents of delightful discovery about history and character. We often rush and miss the journey of discovery with cards.

Sophie-David

darwinia said:
I use this with two strands of embroidery floss to make petit point rugs for my dollhouses. I've done a hall runner in colonial reds and a Chinese blue and white rug for the music room, and I am currently working on a large rug for a child's room with random motifs of houses and animals and flowers.
I think its quite wonderful making these miniature worlds and creating precious things for them, they are little realities in themselves. I was at one time interested in model railroading - I know for some it may be their only artistic outlet. More recently I was involved in the cyber-world of The Sims - there's many ways to play the game, which is essentially a virtual dollhouse. I liked designing the architecture - sometimes I think that should have been my career. Visual artists would spend hours designing unique objects for the virtual world. I know I learned lots from this creative outlet, it was the right thing for me at the time.
darwinia said:
That's what I like about Tarot cards, these little tangents of delightful discovery about history and character. We often rush and miss the journey of discovery with cards.
That's why I find the study groups so helpful, it makes me slow down to consider each card. Someone always seems to spot something I haven't seen, then I may see something someone else hasn't seen, and it keeps building from there.

Sophie-David

Loss of Darwinia

Darwinia has sent me a PM to say that due to some conflicts within the ATF she may not be continuing with us on The Lover's Path. I greatly valued her input and hope that she may reconsider. But we need to do what we need to do.

I was not able to reply to Darwinia's PM. Darwina, if you could contact me directly at my personal email address so that I could reply I would greatly appreciate it.

Namaste
David

irisa

Oh dear...oh dear...

I've never understood the forum/conflict link but it seems to happen an awful lot in my opinion a complete waste of time and energy.

I hope darwina stays with us on the lovers path... whatever conflict is going on it's not happening here :)

irisa

dolphinprincess

I just purchased this set today and I am in love (no pun intended :) ). The artwork is beautiful and while the cards are a little large for my hands, the size truly shows off the images.

I am eager to read through the some of the study threads to learn more about this deck !!

Sophie-David

You are most welcome to join us, Dolphinprincess. We have just started on seven cards so far.

dolphinprincess

Thank you!

You put together a wonderful index and I am looking forward to catching up.

marigold's

How do you like them for non-romantic/relationship readings? Do they function well? They're so pretty! I'm just looking for multi-purpose cards (I've read the first page at the artist's website and it's beautiful...if the card descriptions are as beautiful and insigtful they'd be a gem to have for readings!)

Thanks!
Marigold's

Sophie-David

marigold's said:
How do you like them for non-romantic/relationship readings? Do they function well? They're so pretty! I'm just looking for multi-purpose cards (I've read the first page at the artist's website and it's beautiful...if the card descriptions are as beautiful and insigtful they'd be a gem to have for readings!)

Thanks!
Marigold's
Hi Marigold

Relational readings are definitely their forte. But when you consider that a lot of personal guidance and growth is done in relationship to oneself, I have found that this deck is very useful in many contexts.

David

seaweed

OOOOH! What a pretty deck!

I just got it yesterday (still waiting to read, hurting today) and I'm *SO* glad to see an active study group for it! I'm game! So, where to begin, everyone?